The Romantic Piano Concerto Thread

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: The Romantic Piano Concerto Thread

Post by mballan »

phikfy wrote:I have hired the full score of the Rachmaninoff 5th from Boosey and Hawkes. There's still no 2 piano arrangement and this is still not for sales.
I read through it. Most of the solo part is just like accompaniment. One might really enjoy those sections with the most memorable melodies.

Best,
Koon
Hello Koon

Unfortunately, you will not be able to post the 5th concerto on PP because it would be heavily covered by copyright. Personally I thought the so called 5th concerto was hideous - disjointed, laborious and lacking the pianistic splendour found in the other concertos and Rhapsody. The 2nd symphony so such a gorgeous work in its own right that I failed to understand the need to create this so called "5th" concerto, but suspect it much to do with a desperation for more Rachmaninov concertos ? A great shame when there are still so many beautiful romantic concertos still to be discovered and to which we owe a great debt to companies like Hyperion. I would have so preferred the monies used to make this CD had been channelled to something more engaging like the Rozyncki concertos, for example [heard a recording recently which I shared with my fellow PCS buddy Thal, and we both rated it very highly]. Somehow think this work will disappear into oblivion once its novelty wears off......at least I hope so !!!!

Malcolm

PS: and also thought the Brahms "3rd" equally a very poor relation to its original verison.
player

Post by player »

mballan wrote: A great shame when there are still so many beautiful romantic concertos still to be discovered and to which we owe a great debt to companies like Hyperion. I would have so preferred the monies used to make this CD had been channelled to something more engaging like the Rozyncki concertos, for example [heard a recording recently which I shared with my fellow PCS buddy Thal, and we both rated it very highly]. Somehow think this work will disappear into oblivion once its novelty wears off......at least I hope so !!!!

Malcolm
Hi Malcolm,
Do you mean the Rozycki Concertos? I have been after a recording of these for years, ever since I heard his gorgeous Ballade for piano and orchestra. Is this a commercial CD and is so where does one get it? I wasn't aware that they had been played let alone recorded; I have asked Mike Spring a couple of times about them as well as resident "Polish piano" recording artist Jonathon Plowright so far without success.
Thanks,
Rob
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

player wrote:
mballan wrote: A great shame when there are still so many beautiful romantic concertos still to be discovered and to which we owe a great debt to companies like Hyperion. I would have so preferred the monies used to make this CD had been channelled to something more engaging like the Rozyncki concertos, for example [heard a recording recently which I shared with my fellow PCS buddy Thal, and we both rated it very highly]. Somehow think this work will disappear into oblivion once its novelty wears off......at least I hope so !!!!

Malcolm
Hi Malcolm,
Do you mean the Rozycki Concertos? I have been after a recording of these for years, ever since I heard his gorgeous Ballade for piano and orchestra. Is this a commercial CD and is so where does one get it? I wasn't aware that they had been played let alone recorded; I have asked Mike Spring a couple of times about them as well as resident "Polish piano" recording artist Jonathon Plowright so far without success.
Thanks,
Rob
Rob

I've sent you a private e-mail to discuss.

Malcolm
Scharwenka790

Post by Scharwenka790 »

I have asked Mike Spring a couple of times about them as well as resident "Polish piano" recording artist Jonathon Plowright so far without success.
Thanks,
Rob
Never say never!

Mike
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

Indeed the Rozycki concerto is the best concerto I have heard in years with the Zelenski not far behind.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Borowski will be even better when eventually recorded.

Anything ending in ki seems to be excellent.

Thal
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

thalbergmad wrote:Indeed the Rozycki concerto is the best concerto I have heard in years with the Zelenski not far behind.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Borowski will be even better when eventually recorded.

Anything ending in ki seems to be excellent.

Thal
I am waiting to hear the concerto for banjo, piano and orchestra from Thalski... it will be mega!!!
regards
Brian
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

A bit too large scale for me.

I have written a fantasy on "yes we have no bananas" for piano and banjo.

Not sure if any record labels would be interested.

Thal
lutoslawski
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano,Violin. Composer.

Post by lutoslawski »

Where can i find this rozycki concertos? Really sounds interesting , after watching this conversation. Is heating me up.
Where can i find and buy it? Any label??

Tony
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

lutoslawski wrote:Where can i find this rozycki concertos? Really sounds interesting , after watching this conversation. Is heating me up.
Where can i find and buy it? Any label??

Tony
Yes, Rozycki may have something interesting to say, concerto wise. We have a few pieces posted by Alfor to give us a taste of his solo piano music. I like his Gra Fal ("Play of the Waves") the best as it has some real depth to it, but the few other pieces posted are in a much simpler vein, so encountering one of his concertos would indeed be quite interesting.
phikfy
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Post by phikfy »

mballan wrote:
phikfy wrote:I have hired the full score of the Rachmaninoff 5th from Boosey and Hawkes. There's still no 2 piano arrangement and this is still not for sales.
I read through it. Most of the solo part is just like accompaniment. One might really enjoy those sections with the most memorable melodies.

Best,
Koon
Hello Koon

Unfortunately, you will not be able to post the 5th concerto on PP because it would be heavily covered by copyright. Personally I thought the so called 5th concerto was hideous - disjointed, laborious and lacking the pianistic splendour found in the other concertos and Rhapsody. The 2nd symphony so such a gorgeous work in its own right that I failed to understand the need to create this so called "5th" concerto, but suspect it much to do with a desperation for more Rachmaninov concertos ? A great shame when there are still so many beautiful romantic concertos still to be discovered and to which we owe a great debt to companies like Hyperion. I would have so preferred the monies used to make this CD had been channelled to something more engaging like the Rozyncki concertos, for example [heard a recording recently which I shared with my fellow PCS buddy Thal, and we both rated it very highly]. Somehow think this work will disappear into oblivion once its novelty wears off......at least I hope so !!!!

Malcolm

PS: and also thought the Brahms "3rd" equally a very poor relation to its original verison.
Dear Malcolm,

Don't worry. I know this is highly copyrighted. I wouldn't post. To be honest, I just made a copy, not a scan.

Listening to it is nice. But one would find it a bit dubious after playing it through.

Best,
Koon