The Music of Italy

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
alegitor
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: The Music of Italy

Post by alegitor »

rdem wrote:Excellent! the three missing pieces were: Une pensée à Florence, Valse boiteuse and Marche! The last three of the set. It would be great if you could post those.
Number 5, Prelude inoffensif, was included in the Kalmus edition and here are the others you are missing:-
.......so one Album completed. Are there anymore out there?
Here are the missing ones, nms, tttos. Thank you for the rest of that Album. Are all the different Albums included in Péchés de vieillesse or some of them were thought to be a separate cycle - a question for the musicologists :roll:
Rossini_Album_de_Chaumière_Marche.pdf
Rossini_Chaumière_Valse_Boiteuse.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by alegitor on Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alegitor
Pianophiliac

Post by alegitor »

I have also those pieces, numbers 2 to 5, but missing the number one ...
Rossini - Five pieces.rar
Regards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rdem

Post by rdem »

alegitor wrote:
rdem wrote:Excellent! the three missing pieces were: Une pensée à Florence, Valse boiteuse and Marche! The last three of the set. It would be great if you could post those.
Number 5, Prelude inoffensif, was included in the Kalmus edition and here are the others you are missing:-

Here are the missing ones, nms, tttos. Thank you for the rest of that Album. Are all the different Albums included in Péchés de vieillesse or some of them were thought to be a separate cycle - a question for the musicologists :roll:
I have to confess I am no Rossini expert, just going on what I've read in my Masters' Music book on Rossini and various sleeve notes. Certainly, the majority of the piano pieces were written in the last 10 years of his life, grouped by him into the 14 Albums he called Péchés de vieillesse, and performed by himself and various young pianists for the pleasure of his guests at his Saturday night Soireés. Although he was often asked to publish them, he always refused to and those young pianists were required to learn them at his house as he would not allow the manuscripts, which he kept in a bedroom cabinet, out of his sight. After his death his widow did have then published ( I think by Ricordi).

Here's a link to a list of the pieces in those 14 Albums. Those of most interest here would be volumes 4-10, 12 and 14 which are all totally or largely dedicated to the piano solo works: http://www.rossinigesellschaft.de/data/pdvd.html

There are certainly other various Valses, Album leaves, Riens etc. which remained were not included in those albums and may have remained unpublished - some are included in volume one of Chandos's 4 albums. Those 5 pieces (nms. either and nor do I have the first) are a mystery. Their names don't seem to tie in with the exception of the second which appears in volume 12. Any further help would be much appreciated!

What is certain is that Rossini was not the fourth rate pianist he claimed to be and I am always amazed that more mainstream pianists have not played some of these works. At their best they are witty, harmonically adventurous and show off a vituoso technique - often bringing to mind Alkan, Chopin or Schumann. Perhaps Pollini - famous for the latter 2 and conductor of a recording of La Donna del Lago - could shake off his icy image by playing us some!

I found the Album de château in London's Westminster Library when I lived there some 10 years ago and scanned the majority of it then. At the time, they did have several of the other volumes which I sadly never got round to. I will check if they are still there on my next visit, but if anyone has got there before me, it would be great to see the results.

Could you post Un pensée à Florence too?
Thanks,
Richard
alegitor
Pianophiliac

Post by alegitor »

rdem wrote:
alegitor wrote:

I have to confess I am no Rossini expert, just going on what I've read in my Masters' Music book on Rossini and various sleeve notes. Certainly, the majority of the piano pieces were written in the last 10 years of his life, grouped by him into the 14 Albums he called Péchés de vieillesse, and performed by himself and various young pianists for the pleasure of his guests at his Saturday night Soireés. Although he was often asked to publish them, he always refused to and those young pianists were required to learn them at his house as he would not allow the manuscripts, which he kept in a bedroom cabinet, out of his sight. After his death his widow did have then published ( I think by Ricordi).

Here's a link to a list of the pieces in those 14 Albums. Those of most interest here would be volumes 4-10, 12 and 14 which are all totally or largely dedicated to the piano solo works: http://www.rossinigesellschaft.de/data/pdvd.html

There are certainly other various Valses, Album leaves, Riens etc. which remained were not included in those albums and may have remained unpublished - some are included in volume one of Chandos's 4 albums. Those 5 pieces (nms. either and nor do I have the first) are a mystery. Their names don't seem to tie in with the exception of the second which appears in volume 12. Any further help would be much appreciated!

What is certain is that Rossini was not the fourth rate pianist he claimed to be and I am always amazed that more mainstream pianists have not played some of these works. At their best they are witty, harmonically adventurous and show off a vituoso technique - often bringing to mind Alkan, Chopin or Schumann. Perhaps Pollini - famous for the latter 2 and conductor of a recording of La Donna del Lago - could shake off his icy image by playing us some!

I found the Album de château in London's Westminster Library when I lived there some 10 years ago and scanned the majority of it then. At the time, they did have several of the other volumes which I sadly never got round to. I will check if they are still there on my next visit, but if anyone has got there before me, it would be great to see the results.

Could you post Un pensée à Florence too?
Thanks,
Richard
Ooops, I attached the March twice, instead of Une pensée à Florence, sorry! Here it is, nms, tttos.
Rossini_Chaumière_Une_pensée_à_Florence.pdf
Thank you for your comments. Let's see if the mystery of those five pieces might be resolved.

Regards.
Caprotti
Pianomaniac

Post by Caprotti »

I guess I didn't catch your rebus. Which is the name of the first of what you call "five pieces" ?
As far as I know all the piano pieces were published by the Fondazione Rossini in Pesaro (not by Ricordi) but some pieces that were recently published by Marco Sollini (see http://www.marcosollini.it/sito/)
alegitor
Pianophiliac

Post by alegitor »

Caprotti wrote:I guess I didn't catch your rebus. Which is the name of the first of what you call "five pieces" ?
As far as I know all the piano pieces were published by the Fondazione Rossini in Pesaro (not by Ricordi) but some pieces that were recently published by Marco Sollini (see http://www.marcosollini.it/sito/)
Sorry, I have no idea, it comes from a scan that was labelled "Five pieces for piano" but the scanned material starts with nr.2 - no contents page at the beginning, nor at the end.

Regards.
Caprotti
Pianomaniac

Post by Caprotti »

The first piece of the Soulima Stravinskij Album is an Etude in C
alegitor
Pianophiliac

Post by alegitor »

Caprotti wrote:The first piece of the Soulima Stravinskij Album is an Etude in C
Thank you, Caprotti! Now we need to get the score of the Etude in C ... unless there is already a scanned copy.

Regards.
Caprotti
Pianomaniac

Post by Caprotti »

All the five were posted by a member of PiPH, so we should wait his reload
alegitor
Pianophiliac

Post by alegitor »

Caprotti wrote:All the five were posted by a member of PiPH, so we should wait his reload
Found it through a friend :mrgreen:
Rossini.-.Funf_Klavierstucke_1_-_Etude.pdf