School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like.

Post by fhimpsl »

....here is another little grouping of novelties, again in no particular order....
Chase, Newell - Synco-Thoughts Folio.pdf
Grunn, Homer - Humoresque Negre.pdf
Haines, Thomas - Dominoes.pdf
Huffnagle, Harry - Black Velvet.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gigiranalli
Pianophiliac

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Li

Post by gigiranalli »

fhimpsl wrote:Dear Luigi,

Thanks for all the wonderful information and references about Les Copeland! I was aware of the monograph by Jimmy "The Bar Man", which is fascinating. On the Copeland hand played piano rolls I have all of them and can post one of those which you haven't heard yet as a midi file. This one is an odd roll on the Virtuolo label (an Aeolian product, like Uni-Record, Metro-Art, etc.)...Virtuolo V-1154 "Invitation Rag" played by composer Les Copeland. The other one is on Metro-Art 200296 "38th St. Rag" pbc as well. I haven't recorded that optically as yet, and right now I am more involved in scanning the sheet music than the rolls, but once I get back to the rolls I'll send you a midi file of it. Also there is his roll of "Texas Blues" on Uni-Record 202655. Another roll to be aware of is Rhythmodik J104323 "Save Your Money, John" from the Ziegfeld Follies, composed by Les Copeland and played by none other than Eubie Blake. And further still there is Copeland's pop tune entitled "How's Your Little Maltese Cat?" The chorus of this song is equivalent to the first theme of "Twist and Twirl Rag." And then there is a slightly syncopated tune which Copeland composed entitled "Whistles - Intermezzo." I will post rolls of these, plus also "Ivoryland" and "Les Copeland's 42nd St. Rag" ...the last two simply transcribed from sheet music.

All Best,

Frank
Copeland, Les - Invitation Rag - pb composer.mid
Copeland, Les - Whistles Intermezzo.mid
Copeland, Les - Ivoryland.mid
Copeland, Les - Les Copeland's 42nd St. Rag.mid
Dear Frank,
WOW, THANKS SO MUCH FOR "INVITATION RAG" PLAYED BY LES COPELAND!!! :D :D :D
The piano roll is absolutely great and it's been a great emotion for me to listen to such a great performance!
As soon as I have time I'll transcribe and post it here, since Les, although quite in line with the well scored published version, of course plays ad libs here and there.
Thanks so much for the "Whistles" piano roll, I've enver heard that piece before!
It's fascinating that Eubie Blake recorded a piano roll of "Save Your Money, John". I wonder if Eubie and Les knew each other...
I had sequenced a midi of "Save Your Money, John" a few years ago, based on the sheet music. As soon as I find it back, I'll post it.
Thanks a lot for your comments on "How's Your Little Maltese Cat?"!! You're right!! The chorus is equivalent to the first strain in "Twist And Twirl Rag" and that's very fascinating!! :D
Now I was thinking that, since Les Copeland plays "Twist and Twirl" in G major and the co-composer of "How's Your Little Maltese Cat?", Lewis Muir (I suppose he composed the verse), only played in G major, so I was imagining it's quite possible they had composed the song in G major and then it was finally published in C major...
I don't feel it would be right to post transcriptions I haven't written myself....but...in the case of a great pianist like Copeland I must make an exception....
I hope I don't make anybody angry for that.. :?
So, here I post a transcription of the great "Twist And Twirl Rag" piano roll played by Les Copeland: I know for sure that Tom Brier had typeset this score, but I'm not sure if it was him to transcribe it or rather Richard Zimmerman.
Then here's a link to "How's Your Little Maltese Cat?" composed by Les Copeland and Lewis Muir, clearly showing the Twist and Twirl strain in the chorus and intro of the song:
http://purl.dlib.indiana.edu/iudl/lilly ... 14-0032-01
As soon as I find it back, I'll post a rare song by Les Copeland, entitled "Luxury".
More later...
Thanks A LOT!!!
Luigi
Copeland, Les -Twist and Twirl Rag.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Dear Luigi,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed hearing the Copeland hand-played version of "Invitation Rag." When I get back to scanning piano rolls, I have made myself a note to record the Eubie Blake "Save Your Money, John" roll as well as Copeland's hand-played "38th St. Rag." Also I like your theory about Lewis Muir and Copeland; i.e. that the original "Twist and Twirl Rag" may have all been in the key of C, and the first theme transposed to accomodate Muir! Ragtime history is fascinating! And also great thanks for posting the score to "Twist and Twirl Rag". This I believe was transcribed by Richard Zimmerman, who is an old friend of mine, and knowing his generosity he would be very happy indeed that you shared the transcription with all of us.

All Best,

Frank
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

...continuing on with novelty piano solos and the like...
Groitzsh, G. - Kletteraffe (Monkey Tricks).pdf
Guarente, Frank - Back Beats Fox Trot.pdf
Jackson, J.Calvin - Cocktail At Ciro's.pdf
Jacoby, Elliott - Distortion.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Jefferies, Stanton - Prunes and Prisms.pdf
Jefferies, Stanton - Silks and Satins.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

...some latter day Ragtime from the "First Revival" in the 1950s...
Glover, Joe - Celestial Rag.pdf
Glover, Joe - Hurricane Rag.pdf
Jones, Les - Calico Rag.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Read, Bert - Harlem Nocturne (Transcription).pdf
Repper, Charles - The Dancer In The Patio - Tango.pdf
Sampson, Deryck - Boogie Express.pdf
Sandford, Arthur - Flippancies (Transcription).pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Scott, Henry - Musical Racetrack.pdf
Stevens, Leonard - The Dance Of The Wooden Dolls.pdf
Tovey, Charles - Park Lane Strut.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

....following a series of ragtime scores (I have at least 2000 to follow!)....will attempt in all cases to submit material which is not readily available in any of the well known ragtime collection folios.... the ragtime will be interspersed with novelty and other styles for variety (but within separate postings)....
Baisden, Harry - Camp Cody Blues Fox Trot.pdf
Botsford, George - Old Crow Rag.pdf
Botsford, George - Rag, Baby Mine.pdf
Combes, Whitney - The Marathon Rag.pdf
Dobyns, Geraldine - Bull Dog Rag.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Haskins, Will R. - Jack Frost Rag.pdf
Karns, Verdi - Bluffton Carnival Rag.pdf
Lodge, Henry - Sneaky Shuffles Rag.pdf
Moret, Neil - Borneo Rag.pdf
Morrissey, Will - The Hobble Rag.pdf