Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo
Music Scores: Yes

Re: The Romantic Piano Concerto Thread

Post by thalbergmad »

Well done that man.

Did not have this one and never heard of him myself.

Concertingly

Thal
alegitor
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by alegitor »

Here is a wider bio of Christov, I know the man personally :-) The Concerto is not his mature style, which became much more advanced.

Regards.

He graduated from the State Academy of Music in 1956. He studied Composition under Professor Marin Goleminov. In 1963 he won a scholarship of UNESCO. From 1969 he has been working at the Institute of Art Studies at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, where he was promoted Senior Researcher, 1st degree in 1983. From 1975 to 1979 he was Secretary General of the UNESCO International Music Council. In 1975 he received the Doctor of Art degree. Since 1976 he has been Professor of Polyphony and Introduction to the Theory of Music at the State Academy of Music, as well as of Polyphony, Music Theatre of the 20th century and Contemporary Polyphonic Structures, Polyphony and Modern Trends in Music and Art in General at Sofia University and at the New Bulgarian University. He was elected Doctor Honoris Causa of the New Bulgarian University in 2003. He was lecturer at universities in Germany, France, Switzerland, Sweden, the Netherlands, USA and Canada. Since 1989 he has been Editor-in-Chief of the Bulgarian Musicology Magazine published by the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences. In 1994 he also began publishing the “Music. Yesterday. Today” Magazine.He composed opuses in a variety of genres: two operas; three symphonies; works for symphony and string orchestra; chamber instrumental music; solo and ensemble music, etc. His music outlines the free forms where playing with sound and rhythmic complexes, as well as improvisational freedom given to performers are proof positive of new radical original forms of expression and reconsideration of the music genres toward certain theatralisation. He won prestigious international and national prizes for composition. His most recent award is the prize of the International Academy of Arts in Paris (1999). He wrote theoretic works, articles, books and textbooks.
alegitor
Pianophiliac

Post by alegitor »

fhimpsl wrote:Great! I'm happy this is a new one for the group. We're scanning it now and will upload by tonight. I do appreciate Thal's concern about the fragility of the score but have to agree with passthesalt, because I've seen too many scores where the pages are completely oxidized to brown and they sit on shelves as "archive" items forever with no value to anyone. I love original editions, but in terms of inherent value to my mind a score's only purpose is to convey the music. I will happily sacrifice the original to have the music scanned and "out there" where it might (maybe, someday) be played and recorded.

All best,
Frank :mrgreen:
Frank, thanks for scanning this concerto. BTW, it has been recorded by Bulgarian pianist Milena Mollova.

Cheers.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hi Alegitor, You are most welcome! Nothing pleases me more than to share a work which the group doesn't have yet. Thanks also for the information re. the recording of this concerto...outstanding!

All best,
Frank
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)

Post by 4candles »

Could someone point me in the direction of (or indeed, post, if agreeable) the piano concerto in E-flat(?) by Léon Kreutzer and also the piano concerto, Op. 19(?) by Anton Simon :?:
passthesalt
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by passthesalt »

Frank,
Despite my flippant comment earlier about destroying the Christov score in order to get it scanned, I hope it wasn't too mauled in the process. Thanks very much for posting this.

Judy
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hi Judy,
Not to worry....I made a photocopy first on a large platen copier which allowed the pages to be gently spread out; then scanned in the resulting 8 1/2 x 11" photocopies. There were a few aged brown page chips here and there (we've all seen them!) and the binding is loosened, but all in all the work is still together in much the same original condition. As far as I'm concerned sharing was the most valuable usage the score could be put to, and I am so pleased that it was met with enthusiasm by the membership!
All best,
Frank :D
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

4candles wrote:Could someone point me in the direction of (or indeed, post, if agreeable) the piano concerto in E-flat(?) by Léon Kreutzer and also the piano concerto, Op. 19(?) by Anton Simon :?:
I have had the Anton Simon on back order with the University of London for some months. Regretfully they lost it when they had some sort of building work done, but they hope it will turn up somewhere. Some libraries cannot be trusted with their own holdings, so it is important we do it for them :lol:

The British Library also has the Simon, but it has many pages missing.

As for Kreutzer, I have no idea. There is Conradin Kreutzer in CPS archives, but not Leon.

Concertingly

Thal
Schulz-Evler-Forever

Post by Schulz-Evler-Forever »

Thank you so much for the Christov! I had never heard of him.
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)

Post by 4candles »

thalbergmad wrote:
4candles wrote:Could someone point me in the direction of (or indeed, post, if agreeable) the piano concerto in E-flat(?) by Léon Kreutzer and also the piano concerto, Op. 19(?) by Anton Simon :?:
I have had the Anton Simon on back order with the University of London for some months. Regretfully they lost it when they had some sort of building work done, but they hope it will turn up somewhere. Some libraries cannot be trusted with their own holdings, so it is important we do it for them :lol:

The British Library also has the Simon, but it has many pages missing.

As for Kreutzer, I have no idea. There is Conradin Kreutzer in CPS archives, but not Leon.

Thanks for your help Thal.
I only know Kreutzer's name because of the fact that he took an avid interest in the now lost orchestral Symphony in B minor by Ch-V Alkan when he saw the manuscript. I just happened to come across the information that he composed a piano concerto (and clearly a number of other works) recently.
Best...