School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Alex
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like.

Post by Alex »

Not being a huge fan of Paganini variations I took a gamble and printed out Lothar Perl's rendition, intrigued by its "American" title. I have to say, this is the most fun I have ever had sight reading a piece at the piano. Perl manages to include boogie-woogie, blues, ragtime, and rumba all in a unique treatment of Paganini's theme in each variation. It's just so gosh darn fun to play! Thanks for sharing these pieces Quercus as I didn't know about Mike's site. Why is Lothar so obscure? I can't find much about him online let alone many scores.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

For the Engleman, Thanks again, Frank

Is there a page missing in this forum? Alex is praising Lothar Perl's "American Paganini" composition as if in response to some other posting immediately preceding it - but all I can see are the Whittam and Engleman postings. Have I missed something?

I'm not objecting to Lothar Perl suddenly appearing, far from it, I'm just puzzled. Btw, if you want some more Lothar Perl - I have some. If there are any pieces of his that I don't have, I'd like them, too!
I can provide (if interest expressed):- The Rocking Horse, Cowboy, Crazy Top, Hollywood Stars, The Last Mohican, Rondeau, Tim & Tom, Zebra Stripes from "Syncopated Impressions" and also Grasshopper Dance, Toccatina and Dance Suite (3 pieces).

Someone else I'm interested in is Frank Froeba - I have his "Churchmouse On A Spree" - but I Can find little other information about him. I'm aware that he also wrote: "Here and gone", "Moosie Mousie Boogie", "Strolling along 52nd Street", "Tinkles", "Wifs and Difs", but I have never even heard these, let alone seen the scores.

Regards,
Toby
liveforpiano
Pianophiliac

Post by liveforpiano »

Hello Toby,

I have just checked the Paganini/Perl variations.

There are several of his works on page 34 of this thread, which includes this work.

Peter. (liveforpiano).
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Li

Post by tobyjj »

Yes, you're right - strange how memory plays tricks - that posting isn't that long ago, but my impression was it was much longer. Maybe it didn't make much impression because I was already familiar with the pieces. All the same it is over a year ago !

Grasshopper Dance isn't in that list, however, so I'll upload it here, now.
Lothar Perl - Grasshopper Dance.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alex
Pianophiliac

Post by Alex »

Sorry for the confusion. I was just too excited to post about it despite its long-ago posting hehe. Thanks for another Perl work Toby, much appreciated.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Continuing on with the works of Harry Engleman...here are some more to enjoy.

Frank
Engleman - Finger Prints.pdf
Engleman - Golden Chain.pdf
Engleman - Hammer and Tongs.pdf
Engleman - Ivory Antics.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

...and some more works by Harry Engleman...
Engleman - Leap Frog.pdf
Engleman - Skittles.pdf
Engleman - Snakes and Ladders.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Here are the balance of the Engleman pieces of which I'm aware. "Summer Rain" was always a favorite for me. Its fast downward scale passages are reminiscent of Mayerl's "Nimble Fingered Gentleman," and the melody is just beautiful.

Enjoy!

Frank :D
Engleman - Speedway.pdf
Engleman - Summer Rain.pdf
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Frank,

Thank you very much indeed for the Engleman postings - and so many of them!
I'd really love to browse through your personal collection of music - it must be a veritable treasure trove.
Why are Engleman's compositions so little known now and why haven't they endured - they are well crafted and fun!
I wonder how many other British composers worthy of resurrection have been buried by time and British Music Publishers.

Thanks again,
Toby
Babaco

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Li

Post by Babaco »

Here's a pretty little piece of music by one Frank Hilsher. I can't find any information on him online, anyone here know him? I'd love to see the Perl works, Toby. Thanks for all the Engelman, Frank!
I'll try to get a better scan up at some point.
Best,
Curtis
Frank Hilsher - Rosebud Intermezzo.pdf