Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fleubis
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Iberia: Piano Music from Spain & Portugal

Post by fleubis »

Infos about Angel Barrios (1882-1964).

Ángel Barrios Fernandez was born in Grenada in 1882, the son of a flamenco guitarist. Ángel Barrios (as he is known) studied classical guitar and composition in his native city, but concentrated on a career as a professional guitar. He later studied in Paris, and though he was to be a touring artist, unlike many other Spaniards, he did remain a national musician. He founded the Trio Iberia in 1900 for which he made many arrangements, and they enjoyed a considerable vogue in Europe. He was quite a productive composer in his younger years, but the Spanish Civil War had a considerable affect on him, and he wrote little in later life. His catalogue of works includes opera, zarzuelas, a number of orchestral scores and solo works for piano and guitar. They are all written in a style influenced by the Romantic era, and relied heavily on a populist Spanish folk influence.

Alfred, thanks for this very Spanish-sounding "Songs of my Earth"
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

Dear fleubis,

thank you very much for providing some infos about Barrios!
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

mballan wrote:Alberto Jonás (1868, Madrid – 1943, Philadelphia) was a Spanish pianist, composer, and piano pedagogue. Although not much is known about his life, as a pianist he was regarded as a virtuoso on the level of Ignacy Jan Paderewski, Moriz Rosenthal, Leopold Godowsky, Józef Hofmann, and Josef Lhévinne. He also ranked, during the 1920s and 30s, amongst the greatest and most sought-after keyboard pedagogues of the time.

Good biographical information on Wikipedia.

Something finger twisting for the weekend......his Op 14 Toccata.

Malcolm & Mr P
Jonas A - Toccata Op 14.pdf
We need more Jonas here, am continuously on the prowl for his very hard to find music.

Let's remedy this a bit.
Jonas, Alberto (1868-1943) - Concert Etude, Op. 22, No. 1.pdf
Let's keep this a PP resource, no re-ups please.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Many thanks, Scriabinoff, for the Jonas concert etude. It is very well written. Ever since I encountered his massive Method books, I've been a fan.
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

Thanks seconded.
(I note that although Jonas was Spanish by birth, he was quite a mixture of nationalities, a true European in the frist part of his life, and an American for the second part).
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

fleubis wrote:Many thanks, Scriabinoff, for the Jonas concert etude. It is very well written. Ever since I encountered his massive Method books, I've been a fan.
Seconded!!
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
phikfy
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Post by phikfy »

Thirded!! Many thanks for this Jonas Etude.
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

It is nice to see the Jonas so well received. Really a shame someone so incredibly talented and well regarded (at the same level of the giants we do remember of his time, also was in a circle of that included Blummenfeld and Teresa Carreno...). Shame his music is so hard to find. Below are two of my personal hunting triumphs. I hope they find good homes in your collections and hope perhaps they will be performed and recorded someday.

Only copy apparently avail via worldcat is the British Library St. Pancras.....let's fix that!
Jonas, Alberto (1868-1943) - In Memoriam [Domenico Scarlatti] Op. 19 No. 1 and 2 (Pastorale, Capriccio).pdf
2. Almost Chopin - like in spots, dare I say better in others :o
Jonas, Alberto (1868-1943) - Nocturne (c. 1935) Op. 21, No. 3.pdf
My special thanks to a certain concert artist and gifted teacher (who will remain nameless for now), who has allowed me the privilege to be the recipient of many of his scores from his personal 'lifetime collection', these are amongst some of my acquisitions from his treasure trove. 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Very nice, Scriabinoff, to have these new pieces by Jonas. I thing we are growing in appreciation of his pieces are the more we encounter them.
Thanks for posting!
phikfy
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Post by phikfy »

Thanks Scriabinoff for the Jonas, especially the Nocturne.