Music from Mexico

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
pianoholic
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Silvia Navarrete needs help to keep producing Mexican music

Post by pianoholic »

Dear all,

just a personal favor to any lover of Mexican music who might help. Recently, Mexican pianist Silvia Navarrete found out that a non-authorized music producer company had been selling her discs without her authorization and now she is trying to sue these people. Since she is one of the few musicians constantly issuing Cd on Mexican classical music, I though this forum might be able to colaborate into solving this problem. Navarrete, who is well aware of the lively activity in this forum, particularly asked me to find anyone who might have bought any of her discs from Amazon, iTunes or Prodisc (the company ilegally selling her discs) during the last years in order to prove that they have been selling her discs online. Any help would be endlessly appreciate. Thanks to all!
pianoholic
Instruments played, if any: piano

New publishing firm specialized in Mexican music

Post by pianoholic »

Dear all,

after much struggling, I decided to start a small publishing firm, Mozaic Editions, aiming to promote and recover unknown composers from Mexico and the rest of Latin America. So far, we got an agreement with Mexican pianist Silvia Navarrete to sell her recordings (CDs and iTunes); also, some books on specialized music topics and musicians biographies will be appearing. Other exciting projects involve the recording of complete works of Jaime Nunó (the composer of Mexico's National Anthem, whose manuscripts were found few months ago), the publication of Luis G. Jordá complete piano music and the recording and publication of Ricardo Castro's piano concerto.

Just in case any of the participants in this forum is interested, suggestions are highly welcome! Also, if anyone feels like buying any item, I offer a discount coupon for Pianophilia users: OX27PEX
Mozaic Editions webpage: http://www.mozaic.cat

Regards,

Cristian Canton
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Re: Music from Mexico

Post by thalbergmad »

That is good news. I have been waiting for a commercial recording of the Castro Piano Concerto.

A shame though that the last movement rather lets it down after immense promise displayed earlier.

Thal
ilu
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by ilu »

I just found this extraordinary collection about “Cantos Jaliciences” by Vicente Mendoza; Jalisco is one Mexican state very popular for Mariachis and folk music.
MENDOZA COLECCION DE CANTOS JALICIENCES.pdf
ILU.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Quo melius Illac
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Dear ilu,

Many thanks for the Mendoza title listing of Mexican folk songs. This is of interest to me as I have collected many piano roll and nickelodeon roll recordings of Mexican songs, and am always interested in trying to find out composer information. Unfortunately none of the titles on the Mendoza listing rang a bell with me...however it might be a matter of the date they were published. All of my material is pre-1930 Mexican folk songs (not in sheet music form, these are on player piano rolls). Many of the tunes are very beautiful and the tangos exciting, easily enough to make one want to try them on the piano. Research along the line of Mexican folk songs is very much welcomed!!

All Best,

Frank :D
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Dear Frank:

I am glad that you are interested in this genre of Mexican music.

I have a medley of Mexican anthems and songs -XIX century- tat has been uploaded at imslp that would be of your interest:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Aires_Nacionales_ ... _Miguel%29

"Aires Nacionales Mexicanos", op. 558 by Miguel Ríos Toledano, Conductor of the Militar Orchestra of Engineers.

Is there is something that you are looking for, Il will be glad to assist you,

Ilu.
Quo melius Illac
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Dear ilu,

Thank you so much for directing me to this wonderful medley of Mexican anthems and songs! Amazingly enough, I've had a player piano roll of this large medley for many years, but never saw the sheet music (or thought to search it out on IMSLP). Muchas gracias ! :D

I would like to share with you and hopefully other interested PP members some of the Mexican folk music that I have studied through discovery on player piano and nickelodeon rolls. The best way I can think of doing this is to post midi files of some of the rolls. Here is the tune line-up on one of my very favorite Mexican folk rolls (a 10-tune nickelodeon roll from ca. 1924):

"Clark A-Roll No. 797 ""Snappy Mexican Request"""
Mexico en Chicago. Paso Doble
Alma Andalusa. Paso Doble
El Lirio. Paso Doble
Ingratitude. Vals
Reliquia De Amir. Vals
Filomena. Mazurca
Estrellita
Dolores. Vals
General Machado. Danzon
El 26 de Infanteria. Marcha

A midi file of the entire 10-tune roll is attached. Of course "Estrellita" by Ponce is well known to me, but any information on the other songs would be greatly appreciated. I have many more of these types of rolls if members find the music of interest, just let me know!

All Best,

Frank
Clark A-797 'Snappy Mexican Request'.mid
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Dear Frank:

I am very pleased that you appreciate and enjoy this genre of Mexican Music; thank you for sharing with us the midi file posted.

I am sure that other PP members will enjoy it and the files that you will post.

ILU.
México.
Quo melius Illac
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Dear ilu and all,

Based on the number of downloads there seems to be some active interest in these 1920's nickelodeon rolls of Mexican tangos and folk songs. As long as the interest continues, I'll post others for your enjoyment. Personally I find many of these numbers very haunting melodically, or highly exhuberant!

Here is another one:

"Capitol A-Roll No. A-2295 ""Mexican Dance Hits"""
Devuelueme mis Besos. Tango Cancion
Porque Has Venido. Cancion Yucateca
Sendero De Amor. Vals Lento
Fox De La Sombrilla. Fox Trot
Donde Estas Corazon. Cancion
Las Mamanitas. Vals
Porque Me Has Besado Tu. Cancion
La Circasiana. Fox Trot
Mimi Bluette. Vals
Capitol A-2295 'Mexican Dance Hits'.mid
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hi Folks,

I'm delighted to see that the 1920's Mexican nickelodeon has sparked some interest in a number of members, judging from the number of downloads. While this is certainly an extremely esoteric area, there is much very beautiful music here, worthy of a listen (imho). As long as a moderate level of interest is expressed, I'll continue uploading these rare rolls.

Here's another really lovely one:

"Automatic A-Roll No. A-1437 ""Adoracion De Mexicana"""
Fumando Espero. Tango
Donde Estas Corazon. Cancion
Medias De Seda. Tango
Sobre Las Olas. Valse
Tango Negro. Tango
Mexico en Chicago. Paso Doble
El Novillo Despuntado. Cancion
Para Que Sufras. One Step
Quejas De Tango. Tango
Morir Sonando. Valse

Enjoy!

Frank
Auto A-1437 'Adoracion de Mexicana'.mid