School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Ferruccio
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: Yes

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Li

Post by Ferruccio »

This is great !!
Thank you so much for this huge amount of Tsfasman !! :)

Best wishes, Ferruccio (amateur pianist)
Best regards, Ferruccio
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

Thank you!

Indeed for amateur pianists!

I have an LP with „real“ Tsfasman compositions, which are partly of a Gershwin-like sound and quality.
Some are with singers and it is really an amazing experience when you - in a piece that exactly sounds like the best western jazz - suddenly hear somebody singing in Russian!!
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

Yes indeed, thanks echoed -
very pleased and grateful to see this posting, thank you, Total Chaos. ;)

And Alfor, that is a very teasing post of yours - I would love to access your LP - (I pretend to be nothing other than an amateur pianist !), but you tantalise with your obscurity - WHERE IS IT ?? - (Please :? )

regards,
tobyjj
caostotale
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: guitar, bass guitar

Post by caostotale »

Dance Collection of Soviet and International Composers, for piano, vol. 9 (1966)

compiled by Merab Partskhaladze

Alexander Naumovich TSFASMAN - Because I Have You... (slow foxtrot)
Benyaminas Yokubo GORBULSKIS (Lithuania) - A Carefree Minute (foxtrot) (bio at http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... bih%3D1020 )
Anatoly Yakovlevich LEPIN (Latvia) - Evening in Moscow, from the movie 'Give me a Book of Complaints'
Yevgeny Lvovich ROKHLIN - Silhouettes (bio at http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... bih%3D1020 )
David Lvovich LVOV-KOMPANEETS - By the Sea
Merab Alexeyevich PARTSKHALADZE (Georgia) - At Peak Hour (foxtrot)
Boris Yuryevich DOLINSKY - Stars Go Out (slow foxtrot) (no bio available)
Ilya Mikhailovich SHAKHOV - The Cheerful Krakowiak (no bio available)
Valery Alexandrovich GROKHOVSKY - Vacation (foxtrot) (bio at http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... bih%3D1020 )
Dance Collection of Soviet and International Composers, for piano, vol. 9 (1966).pdf
(nms)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Thanks again,

regards
tobyjj
Ferruccio
Pianophiliac

Post by Ferruccio »

Thank you, Caos !!
Best regards, Ferruccio
Superbilly

Post by Superbilly »

Been a couple months since I checked in. My understanding is that the Billy Mayerl music is now out of copyright and in the public domain, is that correct? If so, I really haven't seen much of an effort to collect and scan it at places like IMSLP (the few uploads I've seen have been indefinitely detained pending review).
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Hello Superbilly,

I'm not sure I want to answer anything about copyright - but what exactly are you looking for?

Apart from some of Mayerl's x8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 piano works and some collaborative transcriptions I am fairly confident that this site has accumulated the most comprehensive consolidated collection of Mayerl's works (apart, perhaps from the bmSociety itself) - the one piece that I think we never tracked down, (but I would need to check), is a piece called "Maids of Honour" - very elusive.

Happy to post anything specific that you're looking for, but I suspect its already here.

Regards,
tobyjj
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

tobyjj wrote:Hello Superbilly,

I'm not sure I want to answer anything about copyright - but what exactly are you looking for?

Apart from some of Mayerl's x8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 piano works and some collaborative transcriptions I am fairly confident that this site has accumulated the most comprehensive consolidated collection of Mayerl's works (apart, perhaps from the bmSociety itself) - the one piece that I think we never tracked down, (but I would need to check), is a piece called "Maids of Honour" - very elusive.

Happy to post anything specific that you're looking for, but I suspect its already here.

Regards,
tobyjj
It was included in a collection entitled British 20th-century piano music Volume 1 published by Thames in 1998:

Contents: Valse / Ernest Farrar -- Quasi sarabande / C. Hubert H. Parry -- Prelude in G sharp minor : (Toccata) / Charles V. Stanford -- Dance memories / Eugène Goossens -- Choral and choral prelude / Ralph Vaughan Williams -- Drifting / Arthur Benjamin -- Canzona / Herbert Murrill -- Eclogue / Walter Leigh -- Maids of honour / Billy Mayerl -- Michael Finnigan / arr. Trevor Hold.

A number of libraries hold copies. Copies of the original from 1957 can found at the British Library and Trinity College in Dublin
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Hi Jim,

I don't know how you find out things like that, but thanks -

next question would be - Does anyone have said publication and willing to scan it for upload here; or at least the Maids of Honour piece ? :)

regards,
tobyjj