School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,
Music Scores: Yes

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Li

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

Interesting post GJF - What are the "Course booklets" you refer to? Are they something other than the "55 Studies In Syncopation" or the "100 Syncopated Breaks".
I know there was a sort of regular magazine, but containing full pieces rather than "course" material. You've piqued my interest.

Mayerl also wrote many pieces for multi piano (up to 8 at a time, I believe) - I've never seen (or been able to find) any of these and I'm not even sure that the Billy Mayerl Society has any. (Hope I'm wrong).

In my recent searching (actually its more like shuffling paper around!) I turned up this piece that is NOT a piano solo and its NOT BY Stanley Black - but his portrait loomed so large on the cover, (and it's a song that I like and whose title I always forget), that I can't resist posting it anyway.
Pee Wee King - You Belong To Me (Stanley Black).pdf
Regards,
tobyjj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Superbilly

Post by Superbilly »

Thank you, everyone for your replies and posts. I'll find the track to share with you all tonight and read through the liner notes again on the CD (again, I think it was one of Eric Parkin's recordings) to see if the transcription exists in print or was a piano roll or gramophone recording. Either way, it remains one of the most elusive of Billy Mayerl's works at present.
GJF323
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by GJF323 »

Here is a French album of transcriptions by Charlie Kunz. Hopefully someone can unearth the first three albums in the series, or some of the other albums listed on p.2 of this album.
Kunz Charlie Complete Transcriptions (4eme Album).rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

I did promise this piece, - sorry for being slow in getting around to it.
Harris & Young (Black, Stanley Trans.) - Sweet Sue- Just You.pdf
Regards,
tobyjj
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

Excellent, I think I can get a banjo solo from this.

Luv

Thal
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

Frank, We haven't heard from you in ages - hope everything is alright.

I am posting up a piece by Cyril Watters - he apparently wrote more than 1 novelty piano solo but I can't find out much about him at all. Does anyone have any others.
Watters, Cyril - Butterfingers.pdf
Also does anyone have any pieces by the following composers:-

Corrie Huddleston (e.g. "Call 'Em Toodles")
Alberto Kollmann (e.g. "Chillito")
Henry W. Ross (e.g. "Tickles")

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
tobyjj
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by fhimpsl »

Dear toby,

Thanks for your thoughtful note. I'm still here, checking PP daily, but have been slowed down by a barrage of recent health issues. Nothing I can't handle, so I hope to be back in full force copying the balance of my novelty/popular sheets asap!

I have the three pieces you mentioned and am posting these below. I'm pretty sure there are no other published pieces by Corrie Huddleston, but there probably are another piece or two by Ross and Kollman. I'll have to check my folders on these composers to be sure. Anyhoo, in the meantime here are these. (btw I always thought the Huddleston piece was rather strange and hard to figure out. I'm surprised Jack Mills published the score!)

All Best,

Frank :D

Huddleston, Corrie - Call 'Em Toodles.pdf
Kollmann, Alberto - Cholita.pdf
Ross, Henry W. - Foolin ' Around.pdf
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Hello Frank,

Good to hear you're OK - and as always utterly amazing in what you can pull out of your apparently inexhaustable stores !

Its an interesting comment that you make about the Huddleston piece because my request was prompted by the back page (of a Max Kortlander piece, I think), in which Jack Mills offers "America's Greatest Novelty Piano Solos" - 7 pieces are listed, (surprisingly one of which is Scott Joplin's Magnetic Rag, which I wouldn't personally have called a novelty piece). James McHugh's "Love Notes" is one of the pieces mentioned, as is Arthur Schutt's "The Ghost of the Piano", also Bert Dixon's "Finger Wrecker". Taking up centre space in the list and in larger print, thus highlighting it to the reader's eye is the Henry Ross piece "Tickles'.

What is interesting about your comment and this back page is that the centrepiece "Tickles" has an accompanying note :"A DIFFERENT SORT OF PIANO SOLO".

If you think the Huddleston piece was rather strange, but Jack Mill's advert doesn't comment on it whereas it does comment on the Ross piece 'Tickles' - its a fair bet that "Tickles" might be even stranger!

[I make this comment without having opened the Huddleston file yet and not owning "Tickles" to compare it with either"]

Food for thought.

Best Wishes,
tobyjj
quercus
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by quercus »

Found a Zez Confrey piece in an old Keyboard Classics magazine, and don't recall seeing it posted here before. It's based on Mendelssohn's Spring Song.
Confrey - Spring Song.pdf
- Bill
tnecnivincent
Participant
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Ukulele

Post by tnecnivincent »

Here, especially for Toby is Tickles by Henry Ross. Between this one and Foolin' Around, he composed some rather suggestive novelties!

This scores is nowhere near as eccentric and bizarre as Huddleston's Call 'Em Toodles, but it is noteworthy in that it precedes (and predicts) Confrey's Dizzy Fingers by one year.

Enjoy,

Vincent
Ross, Henry W. - Tickles.pdf