Thank you Tobyjj!

ILU.
Quo melius Illac
GJF323
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Li

Post by GJF323 »

ilu wrote:Does anyone have piano scores by Stanley Black or arrangements for 2h.of his music?

Thanks.

ILU.
My folio has these transcriptions:
If I had you
The Very Thought of You
Moonlight on the Ganges
Ev'rybody loves my Marguerite
Try a little tenderness
By the fireside
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Great, Thanks.

ILU.
Quo melius Illac
Superbilly

Post by Superbilly »

fhimpsl wrote:Years before Hoagy Carmichael went on to compose his song hits "Stardust," Rockin' Chair," "The Nearness Of You," and many others, he was composing novelty-ragtime tinged piano solos. In fact, his greatest hit "Stardust" actually started out as a piano solo sans lyrics.
Here is a folio which contains many of Carmichael's best novelty piano solos.

All Best,

Frank
Carmichael, Hoagy - Folio Of Piano Compositions.pdf
I'm a returning member of this forum. It's been, well, almost 7 full years. I just rediscovered it still exists! At the time some of you might remember (Rob will) that I posted quite a bit of Billy Mayerl pieces, including some original scans from my library resources. However, one piece that has always eluded me has been Mayer's transcription for piano solo of Carmichael's Stardust. I believe it was recorded by Eric Parkin and my memory is fuzzy, but it may have been a reconstruction of an unpublished Mayerl piece. I'm hoping my memory is wrong and some lucky soul in this forum has the piece and would be willing to share. If so, much gratitude to you, in advance!
GJF323

Post by GJF323 »

Here is the folio of Stanley Black Transcriptions
Stanley Black Piano Transcriptions.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

GJF323, Muchas gracias!

ILU.
Quo melius Illac
GJF323

Post by GJF323 »

Here is another Lothar Perl, Black and White; I don't see it when performing a site search so I think it was missed in other Perl postings.
Perl Lothar Black and White.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

Excellent! Thanks GJF for the Lothar Perl - I wish there was a definitive list of all his published work - I had never heard of that one and I'm still confused as to why I think he wrote something called Diffs & Daffs or Diffy Daffy (or something like that).

Thanks too for the Stanley Black . I didn't have any of those. Now I have to make good on my promise to Ilu - locating my few pieces is not as easy as I thought it would be however, since my file-naming system doesn't include arrangers (until recently) and my memory of the physical sheet titles is a bit vague. I'll keep looking. I'm sure there were some Mayerl - Black collaborations / transcriptions, but my first quick search didn't turn any up. I'll have to drill down deeper.

Sorry Superbilly, I've scoured my Mayerl holdings (which is relatively better organised than my other stuff) and can't find a Carmichael Stardust transcription - which probably means I don't have it. If it pops up, please post!

I think I mentioned a Bert Kaempfert folio a long while back and forgot all about it - but while doing a quick search for the above items it caught my attention and reminded me of my earlier intention to post. It's quite light weight material, but it has a certain charm and blessedly is not difficult to play!

Here it is:
Kaempfert, Bert - Piano Album.pdf
Regards,
tobyjj
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

I have to correct myself.

I've located one of the Stanley Black transcriptions - "Sweet Sue - Just You" by Will J Harris & Victor Young.

In the same booklet (I used to bind a lot of my music together in bundles of often unrelated genres - a relic of the past when I didn't have much music - it makes relocating individual pieces counter-intuitive and is a nuisance. Do not copy my terrible filing methods!) - I see reference to 5 Lothar Perl pieces. The first is "Black & White" - so I must certainly once have heard of it - simply forgot. Hmm - this forgetfulness is worrisome. Still I didn't have the piece so thanks again GJF.

Interestingly enough in the same bundle is an arrangement of Hoagy Carmichael's "Stardust" by Victor Matte - I wonder if that might be the one you seek, Super Billy.
I post it anyway.
Carmichael, Hoagy (Matte, Victor Arr.) - Stardust.pdf

I can't find the electronic file for Sweet Sue at the moment - if I can't locate it I will re-scan - but that would have to be next week for scanner access !

In the same bundle there is also reference to "Ragamuffin" by Jesse Greer, "Finesse" by Bernard Maltin and Ray Doll and "In a Pagoda" by John W Bratton - Does anyone have those?

Regards,
tobyjj
GJF323

Post by GJF323 »

This is a piece I was scanning for my collection, but thought I would post it here in case others find it interesting. It is the Billy Mayerl Transcription I Would Like to Know Why, which I'm pretty sure has been posted before, but with pedagogical markings from the Billy Mayerl School to identify breaks and effects used. It would go nicely with Course booklets as an example. Because I was preserving it for my collection, it is an all-color scan (to preserve purple-blue markings) and I haven't done any editing to it. With those warnings to downloaders, here it is:
Mayerl Billy I Would Like to Know Why (piano transcription with pedagogical markings).pdf