Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Women Composers

Post by fhimpsl »

Hello Friends,

This is a case of cross-interest thread themes...I have posted the piano solo compositions by popular pianist and radio personality Pauline Alpert, and plan to post more work by women composers. These pieces are of a popular nature but are quite challenging to play and well written out. If you care to, please check out the thread "School Of Syncopation, Jazz Novelties And The Like" for the Alpert and more women composers to come.

Frank :D
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

An another engaging work by Raie Da Costa (1905-34).....biographical details given earlier on this thread, plus a number of other works posted by Frank and myself.

Malcolm & Mr P
Da Costa R - At the Court of Old King Cole.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iano

Post by iano »

I wonder whether anyone has any more information concerning the remarkable Marguerite Labori (de Pachmann). Being always slow on the uptake, I didn't realise that her 10 Mélodies had been posted last year by ilu (re-posting from Sibley). It seems she was born on the goldfields of Mudgee to a comedian and his wife from Queensland. Probably in a tent or slab hut — shades of Eileen Joyce?

http://www.budgeebudgee.com/about/pipeclaypianist.html

It would be wonderful to get hold of one of the pieces mentioned: the variations and sonata. No clue as to their whereabouts, though.

Two in the British Library:

Rêverie du Lac, for the pianoforte.  
London ; New York : Novello, Ewer & Co, [1888]

Thême et Variations for pianoforte.
Last edited by iano on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

iano wrote:I wonder whether anyone has any more information concerning the remarkable Marguerite Labori (de Pachmann).
She appears to have written an opera as well :"On 25 May 1914, also at the Gaîté-Lyrique, Vezzani created the role of Latko Sobar in Radda by Guido Bianchini. That same evening, he sang Yamato in the Paris premiere of Yato by the Australian pianist, Marguerite Labori, a role that had been created by Giovanni Martinelli in Monte Carlo a year earlier. Incidentally, he also sang Canio that season."

Regards
Fred
Paddys
Instruments played, if any: Piano.

Post by Paddys »

iano wrote:I wonder whether anyone has any more information concerning the remarkable Marguerite Labori (de Pachmann). Being always slow on the uptake, I didn't realise that her 10 Mélodies had been posted last year by ilu (re-posting from Sibley). It seems she was born on the goldfields of Mudgee to a comedian and his wife from Queensland. Probably in a tent or slab hut — shades of Eileen Joyce?

http://www.budgeebudgee.com/about/pipeclaypianist.html

It would be wonderful to get hold of one of the pieces mentioned: the variations and sonata. No clue as to their whereabouts, though.

Two in the British Library:

Rêverie du Lac, for the pianoforte.  

Thême et Variations for pianoforte.
Iano,

Maggie Okey's is a remarkable story -- from a slab hut on the Queensland goldfields to having an opera performed in Monte Carlo in 1913. Of course the extraordinary piece of information is that her son became the piano teacher of Pierre Boulez. I think we'll find more information on Maggie in this biography:
http://www.amazon.com/Vladimir-Pachmann ... 0253341698
fahl5
Music Scores: No

Post by fahl5 »

It seems, as if Elisabeth von Herzogenberg was not mentioned at all.
She was a wonderfull composing woman and it is told, that Brahms even sometimes preferred to ask here musical judgement than Clara Schumanns.
Here are the 8 Pianonpieces and a recording of them I made today.
Elisabeth von Herzogenberg 8 Pianopieces
best
fahl5
ElisabethvHerzogenberg8Pianopieces.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Listen music never heard before at klassik-resampled.de
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

Thank you fahl5. What a delightful dream if everyone did like you, posting rare music AND a recording of it!
Jean-Séb
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

I have downloaded “Old Fair” by Hilda Dederich , (1901-1969), available at :

https://urresearch.rochester.edu/instit ... onNumber=1

It is like a “suite” for beginners; nice, interesting construction and simple harmonies.

Some additional of her piano scores will be much appreciated.

Ilu.
Quo melius Illac
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Louise Farrenc (1804 – 1875) was a French composer, virtuose pianist and teacher. Born Jeanne-Louise Dumont in Paris. She enjoyed a considerable reputation during her own lifetime, as a composer, a performer and a teacher. She began piano studies at an early age with a Senora Soria, a former student of Muzio Clementi, but when it became clear she had the talent of a professional pianist, she was also given lessons by Moscheles and Hummel. Because she also showed great promise as a composer, her parents decided to let her study composition with Reicha at the Conservatoire. She met Aristide Farrenc, a flute student ten years her senior, who performed at some of the concerts regularly given at the artists' colony of the Sorbonne, where Louise's family lived. She married him in 1821. She then interrupted her studies to concertize throughout France with her husband. He soon grew tired of the concert life and decided to open a publishing house in Paris, which as Éditions Farrenc, was one of France’s leading music publishers for nearly 40 years.

Farrenc returned to her studies with Reicha. After completing her studies, she re-embarked on a concert career and gained considerable fame as a performer during the 1830s. By the early 1840s, her reputation was such that in 1842 she was appointed to the permanent position of Professor of Piano at the Paris Conservatory, a position she held for thirty years and one which was among the most prestigious in Europe. Despite this, Farrenc was paid less than her male counterparts for nearly a decade. Only after the triumphant premiere of her nonet, at which the famous violinist Joseph Joachim took part, did she demand and receive equal pay. Beside her teaching and performing career, she also produced and edited an influential book about early music performance style. For several decades after her death, Farrenc’s reputation as a performer survived and her name continued to appear in such books as Antoine François Marmontel’s Pianistes célèbres. Despite her nonet achieving some popularity, as did her two piano quintets and her trios - most of her works fell into oblivion after her death [with thanks to Wikipedia].

I have posted her Op 17 Air Russe Varie [thank you Mr P].
Farrenc L - Op 17 Air Russe Varie.pdf
Malcolm
toyboy

Post by toyboy »

Jean-Séb wrote:Thank you fahl5. What a delightful dream if everyone did like you, posting rare music AND a recording of it!
Jean-Séb

let alone play them so well!

(4 hours later)

I hereby rescind the compliment, after learning all he is doing is entering pre-recorded notes into his software!