School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like.

Post by fhimpsl »

More Rube Bloom. One interesting note: Bloom's "Plantation Recollections" suite consisted of only two pieces, and each was re-titled later and published individually. "Romance" became "Penthouse Romance," and "Barn Dance" became "On The Green".

Frank
Bloom - One Finger Joe.pdf
Bloom - Plantation Recollections.pdf
Bloom - Ranch House Saturday Night.pdf
Handy-Bloom - St. Louis Blues Transcription.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
struwwelpeter

Post by struwwelpeter »

Thanks for the Rube Bloom, Frank! I've loved his playing for years and look forward to trying these out.
In case you didn't know, he was Ruth Etting's pianist for several years, and you can hear him playing on many of the tracks on this album:
http://www.amazon.com/Ten-Cents-Dance-R ... B000001HF4
Cheers,
Peter.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hi Peter,
I'm glad you like the Rube Bloom scores! Thanks for the link to the Ruth Etting recordings. She is one of my favorite vocalists from the 1920s. Here is some more Rube Bloom to check out:

Frank :D
Bloom - A Stately Mansion.pdf
Bloom - Sapphire.pdf
Bloom - Savage In My Soul.pdf
Bloom - Serenata.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

More Rube Bloom novelty piano solos........

Frank
Bloom - Silhouette.pdf
Bloom - Soliloquy.pdf
Bloom - Song Of The Bayou.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

....and more from Mr. Bloom....this just about finishes the single sheets but there is considerably more in folios which may take more time to post (and to find!)

Frank
Bloom - Spring Fever.pdf
Bloom - That Futuristic Rag.pdf
Bloom - Waterfall Serenade.pdf
gigiranalli
Pianophiliac

Post by gigiranalli »

Dear Frank,
I was just posting "Spring Fever" and "Soliloquy" and looking back for "That Futuristic Rag" to post it but you anticipated me ;)
Thanks for these fantastic uploads!!!
I really enjoyed the Ohman and Bloom pieces, and even more the great piano roll by Rose Vanderbosch: I didn't know about this artist and her version of "Try And Play It" is very exciting!!!
Tomorrow I'll post some scores.
I've had a rather tough day today, so I'll take it easy for tonight...
Thanks so much for these treasures you're sharing with us!!!
Luigi
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

Thanks to Frank and Luigi for all their marvellous contributions to this thread. I was wondering whether anything more was known about the composers whose works you have posted here? Particularly dates and places of birth and other biographical material which would help us place these composers and their styles within a wider stylistic and geographical framework.

Regards
Fred
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hi Fred,

You noticed I was leaving biographical information out... :oops: ...it's not on purpose, but for lack of information at hand. At the present, my library of music related books is packed away (we moved over 2000+ miles back in October and haven't yet recovered, if we ever will!) So I am basically at a loss at the present time. However, interested persons could consult "Rags And Ragtime" by David A. Jasen and Trebor J. Tichenor - that is certainly one source where much of the biographical info, birth/death dates, etc. is listed. Once I get my books on shelves and I can access this and other similar books I will be glad to back-track and list this important information. It's only the sheet music that I can access at the present time (and that's not in perfect order either!)

All best,

Frank
gigiranalli
Pianophiliac

Post by gigiranalli »

fredbucket wrote:Thanks to Frank and Luigi for all their marvellous contributions to this thread. I was wondering whether anything more was known about the composers whose works you have posted here? Particularly dates and places of birth and other biographical material which would help us place these composers and their styles within a wider stylistic and geographical framework.

Regards
Fred
Thanks for your kind words, Fred!
I'm very glad you're enjoying these pieces!
Once more I'd like to thank Frank for his invaluable contribution!! His collection is amazing and I'm discovering a lot of very rare pieces thanks to him!!!
Today I'd like to post a folio entitled "Pete Wendling & Max Kortlander present a group of original compositions for the piano".
Both pianists were reknown piano roll artists and I think they're still big favorites of piano roll lovers.
The folio is rather large, so I'd have to post it split in three parts, so that it won't be too unconfortable to download it.
In the first part you'll also find biographical information on these two great ragtime pianists and composers.
In the last part of the folio there are excercises that show the particular patterns and tricks used in most of those scores.
I don't know if Frank would agree with me, but I have the suspect that, although all the compositions included in the folio are credited to both musicians, some were actually composed by Kortlander and others by Wendling.
So here's the first of three parts and I hope you'll enjoy the music!
Best RAGards
Luigi
Last edited by gigiranalli on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gigiranalli
Pianophiliac

Post by gigiranalli »

Again on Max Kortlander, I post here the published version of his "Deuces Wild".
You may find it interesting to compare it with how he recorded the piece on piano roll: Frank Himpsl has posted his great transcription of that roll on the Piano Roll Transcriptions section.
Staying on cards, I also attach "Deuces Wild Rag", composed by Hubert Bauersachs. There's also a great piano roll of this piece played by Sybil Court, who also recorded a roll of Bauersachs' "Melrose Rag".
And by the way you can find the sheet music for "Melrose Rag" here:
http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/metsnav ... 2/METADATA
At this point I'd have a question for Frank: I've heard that Sybil Court was a pseudonym used by Rudy Erlebach. Do you think there's some truth in that?".
Best RAGards
Luigi
Last edited by gigiranalli on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.