HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Iberia: Piano Music from Spain & Portugal

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

rob wrote:
fredbucket wrote:
rob wrote:*That reminds me that we really ought to have separate threads for composers from Scotland, Wales and Ireland. Any takers?
Are there any??? <ducks for cover, very quickly>

Regards
Scared
YES, LOTS n LOTS!!!!! More than in the whole of Australia! (*sticks out tongue*)
Dear Fred, have you perhaps a death wish? Our esteemed member Elizabeth from Oz is of Scottish descent and rather proud of it and believe me you don't want to get on her wrong side, I suppose we should start a new thread for Fred of music by Descendants of the Deportees of the 18th century just to annoy him. That is if any of them had a musical side to them. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted:
regards
Brian
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

Maybe Cornwall could also have it's own thread. Come to think of it, why not Berwick-upon-Tweed
(of the UK, but not part of it), The Isle of Man and The Channel Islands all might be candidates to
have legitimate claims for separate-thread status.
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

Timtin wrote:Maybe Cornwall could also have it's own thread. Come to think of it, why not Berwick-upon-Tweed
(of the UK, but not part of it), The Isle of Man and The Channel Islands all might be candidates to
We are arguing to a 'reductio ad absurdum' position. The key word here is 'MIGHT'! We have to be practical. Show me enough music from anywhere for me to create a category of sufficient interest and I will create it. A 'Celtic' thread could cover Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Corwall, IOM & Brittany...
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

rob wrote:
Timtin wrote:Maybe Cornwall could also have it's own thread. Come to think of it, why not Berwick-upon-Tweed
We are arguing to a 'reductio ad absurdum' position. The key word here is 'MIGHT'! We have to be practical. Show me enough music from anywhere for me to create a category of sufficient interest and I will create it. A 'Celtic' thread could cover Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Corwall, IOM & Brittany...
Dear Rob, where would you place the Cockneys?
regards
Brian
rob
Pianomaniac

Post by rob »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote:
rob wrote:
Dear Rob, where would you place the Cockneys?
regards
Brian
On an Eastenders thread - which I am sure members could find on ANOTHER board - but NOT this one.
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

One final thought on this topic, before someone pulls us back towards the subject of Iberian piano music,
Northampton might possibly be singled out, as it was the birth place or residence of Arnold and Rubbra,
and plus quite a few others, I believe. Rob knows much more about this than me.
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote:Dear Fred, have you perhaps a death wish? Our esteemed member Elizabeth from Oz is of Scottish descent and rather proud of it and believe me you don't want to get on her wrong side, I suppose we should start a new thread for Fred of music by Descendants of the Deportees of the 18th century just to annoy him. That is if any of them had a musical side to them.
I was born in England. Bleeeeaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!

Regards
Scouse
rob
Pianomaniac

Post by rob »

Timtin wrote:One final thought on this topic, before someone pulls us back towards the subject of Iberian piano music,
Northampton might possibly be singled out, as it was the birth place or residence of Arnold and Rubbra,
and plus quite a few others, I believe. Rob knows much more about this than me.
And William Alwyn. Yes, odd. Bedford (20 miles away and my town of birth) always had more of a reputation for musicality, but we only produced Tim Souster!

Northampton was also important in UK choral music since St Matthew's Church was where Walter Hussey ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Hussey ) began his inveterate sequence of commissions from (mostly) British composers. Later he was at Chichester where he continued his commissions - Bernstein's Chichester Psalms perhaps being the most famous.

Anyway, all that was very off-topic.

Iberian piano music anyone?
rob
Pianomaniac

Post by rob »

fredbucket wrote:
HullandHellandHalifax wrote:Dear Fred, have you perhaps a death wish? Our esteemed member Elizabeth from Oz is of Scottish descent and rather proud of it and believe me you don't want to get on her wrong side, I suppose we should start a new thread for Fred of music by Descendants of the Deportees of the 18th century just to annoy him. That is if any of them had a musical side to them.
I was born in England. Bleeeeaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!

Regards
Scouse
Is Liverpooooool England? :shock: Never sounds as though it should be!!!
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

rob wrote:Is Liverpooooool England? :shock: Never sounds as though it should be!!!
Liverpool is the capital of Ireland...

Regards
Seamus