Complete solo Piano Works

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
MrTchaikovsky
Music Scores: Yes

Complete solo Piano Works

Post by MrTchaikovsky »

Greetings!
Having leeched off of this marvelous forum for almost three years, I thought it was about time to get involved. I have in my possession a few scores not posted before to my knowledge (the complete solo piano music of E.J.Moeran and Havergal Brian). At first I wanted to post them, but then I had the following idea:

How about creating a new subsection titled "Complete Solo Piano Music", wherein only files containing the complete solo piano output of a composer may be posted. This seems sensible to me for the following reason:

Assume you search for the piano music of Roger Quilter. Most of his piano music is on Imslp, but not everything, like the "2 Impressions Op.19". These may be found here, but in two separate places. With the subsection proposed above, one would only have to check if there is a post with the name of "Quilter", and with one click one would never have to search for piano music of this composer again. This would also decrease the number of posts on the whole site, since posts of single pieces which otherwise don't contain any valuable information could be deleted. Consequently, the navigation of the site would be greatly facilitated. (I am be no means an expert on the policy of the moderators when it comes to the deletion of posts, so please tell me if there is any problem with my proposal).

If I still have your esteemed attention (this is not meant ironically!), I would like to propose the following guidelines:

1. The subsection should focus on the works of lesser known composers and famous composers with a comparatively small piano output (e.g. Bruckner, Schoenberg etc.). Well known composers with a sizeable piano output are permissible if and only if their entire piano output may be found on Imslp (e.g. Grieg, Chopin etc.). In this case, a link to the site in question will be posted.

2. Each post should contain a link to a reliable source listing the entire piano works of said composer, so that anyone may see for himself that the post does indeed contain the entire pianistic output.

3. Requests for scores and discussions should be placed in a second subsection "Complete Solo Piano Music Discussion". This way the "Complete Solo Piano Music" section remains uncluttered. Posts in this forum would include requests for specific scores that are needed to complete the entire piano works of a given composer. (This could serve to motivate the zealous scanners and score hunters on this forum even more).

4. Only original works for solo piano are allowed, i.e. works for more than two hands and more than one piano are excluded, as are arrangements.

This is everything for the moment, please tell me what you think. If the moderators are of the opinion that this post is not worthy of a new topic, feel free to delete it.

If these measures should actually be implemented, I would volunteer, at least for the beginning, to oversee this section. (I already have a little list with composers that might be considered).

I hope this post doesn't seem to pretentious, I merely think that this kind of organisation could benefit all of us.

Kind regards,

Pyotr Ilyich

P.S.: Please excuse my stilted (and probably incorrect) English; it is not my native language.
Und sollte ich vergessen haben, jemanden zu beschimpfen, dann bitte ich um Verzeihung! - Brahms
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Re: Complete solo Piano Works

Post by fredbucket »

Comments invited.

Regards
Fred
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

Fwiw, it seems to me that Pianophilia has grown organically over the years, rather like a large oak tree, with lots of branches. This is what gives it its unique character, with refreshingly minimal input from the moderators. If things start to get re-organised in the manner suggested, it would seem as though this splendid tree was in some way being given unwanted (imo) tree surgery. I like just as it is, and every file uploaded can be found easily using the search facility, so why change it? My only real issue with the forum is with the so-called leeches, but that's entirely another matter.
kroket
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by kroket »

fredbucket wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:18 am Comments invited.

Regards
Fred
I agree with Timtin, let's not make things too complicated here. Sheets of Moeran can be posted in the existing thread 'Music of the British isles'. Looking forward to them!
Greetings, kroket
MrTchaikovsky

Post by MrTchaikovsky »

I see! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'll head straight to the English music section!
Und sollte ich vergessen haben, jemanden zu beschimpfen, dann bitte ich um Verzeihung! - Brahms
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

I agree with the comments made by our esteemed members..............and as said, the search facility works very well.

MrTchaikovsky - if you have a lot of scores for one particular composer, then I'm happy for a new thread to be created. I have done this myself for several composers - Schutt and Grunfeld immediately call to mind. And what I tried to do is list all their piano works, show links to IMSLP where they hold scores, and then filled in gaps from my own collection. That has worked quite successfully, and easy to search specific works.

I can appreciate your suggestion, but it is fairly rare that any member would necessarily have a large number of scores by a specific composer to post, often postings are down to is one or two scores at any time.

Malcolm
Caprotti
Pianomaniac

Post by Caprotti »

Basically if we spoke here about the increasingly amount of scores of a single author, the idea had always been to create a new Thread about THAT author. This behaviour is simpler than inventing a general "opera omnia" thread that has little sense (new compositions come out easily time to time ...)