Muse Press

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
ahinton
Music Scores: No

Muse Press

Post by ahinton »

Founded only some 18 months ago in Japan, Muse Press publishes piano music, mainly transcriptions, some of them recent, in both paper and .pdf format; these should be of interest to members here, whom I commend to visit https://muse-press.com/en/
https://muse-press.com/en/product-category/sheet-music/
https://muse-press.com/en/product-categ ... musici-en/
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Muse Press

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

and by sheer coincidence the first item shown is by a certain Mr. A Hinton, a relation possibly? Haha!
I wish you many sales and thanks for introducing us to this publisher, I shall watch with interest for further publications.
best wishes
Brian
ahinton

Post by ahinton »

Indeed, I have known him all my life!

That piece was commissioned by the pianist Shota Ezaki, who co-founded Muse Press; he premièred it four days ago, the day of its publication.

Thanks for your kind wishes!

Best wishes,

Alistair
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)

Post by 4candles »

Also very pleased to see a beautiful, tiny and very rare, piece by Alkan at Muse Press by his tireless champion Mark Viner:

Quand Israël sortit d’Egypte

4c
alkan1813-1888
Participant
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by alkan1813-1888 »

I would like to add this news! Alexis Weissenberg’s 6 arrangements of songs by Charles Trenet will be published by Muse Press LLC anticipated at the beginning of November 2018. The publication will be edited by the Canadian composer-pianist Marc-André Hamelin who re-discovered the arrangements and recorded them on his album Marc-André Hamelin in a state of jazz for the British music label Hyperion.

https://muse-press.com/en/2018/09/05/tr ... angements/
ahinton

Post by ahinton »

alkan1813-1888 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:08 am I would like to add this news! Alexis Weissenberg’s 6 arrangements of songs by Charles Trenet will be published by Muse Press LLC anticipated at the beginning of November 2018. The publication will be edited by the Canadian composer-pianist Marc-André Hamelin who re-discovered the arrangements and recorded them on his album Marc-André Hamelin in a state of jazz for the British music label Hyperion.

https://muse-press.com/en/2018/09/05/tr ... angements/
Excellent!
ahinton

Post by ahinton »

My attention has just been drawn to the following post on the Sorabji Archive website's forum today:

The new edition of International Piano contains a very nice review of Alistair's op.49, reviewed by Murray McLachlan. I am on a train right now, but will try to type it all now on my phone.... I will have to edit it later to put in accents etc....

-------
Alistair Hinton is a prolific composer perhaps best known for his advocacy of Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji's fascinating, complex and often beautiful music (see www.sorabji-archive.co.uk). The title of this exquisite but challenging miniature by Hinton may refer to Gabriel Fauré's famous song, but in fact the piece is a musical commentary on another song - the fifth from Rachmaninov's Six Romances Op 58 [sic]. What we have here is far from the literal, carefully crafted Earl Wild transcription. In contrast, Hinton uses the Rachmaninov as a starting point for extraordinary colours, polyrhythms, filigree textures and exotic pitch formations that perhaps owe more to the florid writing of certain scores by Godowsky and Sorabji than to Fauré and Rachmaninov.

Using a three-stave layout, this 64-bar miniature is not for the fainthearted - the challenges are considerable. Indeed, in places it seems as though two performers would be needed to cope with the demands (the climax, which briefly reaches triple fortissimo in bar 42, is especially challenging). The vast majority of the piece is sketched at a sub-piano dynamic level, with lots of tactile-friendly albeit virtuosic double-note writing in 16th and 32nd notes. But the broad melodic line remains intact throughout, providing a musical thread for both listener and performer alike. This is a notable contribution to the repertoire in the tradition of Busoni, Godowsky and Ronald Stevenson. Fascinating, ravishing and innovatively pianistic writing for connoisseurs to savour.
-------

Naturally, I'm delighted to see this. Perhaps the reviewer might play it! It will receive its UK première next month in Oxford at the hands of Jonathan Powell.
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

Congratulations Alistair, I know that Jonathan will do a great job even for a miniature, let us hope that the applause will not be in a similar proportion. After seeing all those impressive names you have been (un)fairly saddled with, after all you are not in competition with them, why do we not have the opportunity to hear it from the composer himself as I am sure the other luminaries would not have shied away from such a venture.
best wishes
Brian