schubert piano sonata (fantasie) g major

Questions and discussion on technical, teaching and performance matters
burstroman
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

schubert piano sonata (fantasie) g major

Post by burstroman »

Hi, Please give some suggested metronome markings for the four moverments of the Schubert Sonata D. 890. Thank you. Allen
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Re: schubert piano sonata (fantasie) g major

Post by fredbucket »

burstroman wrote:Hi, Please give some suggested metronome markings for the four moverments of the Schubert Sonata D. 890. Thank you. Allen
D890 is Hippolits Lied. Do you mean D894?

Regards
Fred
burstroman

Post by burstroman »

Hi Fred, Yes, you are right D. 894. My short term memory failed me because I had just looked at the score. Thanks. Allen
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

burstroman wrote:Hi Fred, Yes, you are right D. 894. My short term memory failed me because I had just looked at the score.
At least you have a short term memory...;-)

Prescribing a speed is always very dicey, since it depends upon your ability, the piano and acoustics around you, and a great range of other things. I find that most 'edited' older editions specify tempos that are far too fast - as pianos get more and more resonant the music needs room to breathe, as it were.

Play the piece slowly to start with, and then after a while a comfortable speed will become apparent.

Let us know how you go. Just because pianist 'X' plays a certain speed doesn't mean you have to do the same. Play it your way...

Regards
Fred
burstroman

Post by burstroman »

Thank you, Fred, for what seems a wise reply. I wasn't really expecitng exact m.m. markings. I've listened to D. 894 for years and felt that there is quite a range of tempi for the first movement because many pianists have tried quite different tempi for the first movement especially, and have made it convincing. I relish the interpretive challenges (phrasing, dynamics, touch, etc.) much more than technical ones, particularly at my age. This work is such a profound delight. Thanks for your help. Allen