Piano Music of North America (Canada & the USA)

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Piano Music of North America (Canada & the USA)

Post by Scriabinoff »

OSCAR RASBACH
1888-1975
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Rasbach
most famous piece seems to be trees.
0020186_waltz-improvisation-oscar-rasbach_550.png
Rasbach%2C%20Oscar%20-%20Waltz%20Improvisation.pdf
*Out of Print to best of my knowledge and research
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tallaphilia

Post by Tallaphilia »

Dear friends,

I have seen some interesting Chasins works in the forum, thanks for the uploading! Most of Chasins works are unfortunately out of print.
I´m looking for one of his works "Parade". It seems that this is the first american work that Toscanini conducted when he arrived to the US. It´s originally written for piano and later orchestrated. There´s a surprising story about with this piece and Rachmaninov Paganini Rhapsody.

Some idea where to find it?

Thanks in advance, and best regards,

Tallaphilia
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Tallaphilia wrote:Dear friends,

I have seen some interesting Chasins works in the forum, thanks for the uploading! Most of Chasins works are unfortunately out of print.
I´m looking for one of his works "Parade". It seems that this is the first american work that Toscanini conducted when he arrived to the US. It´s originally written for piano and later orchestrated. There´s a surprising story about with this piece and Rachmaninov Paganini Rhapsody.

Tallaphilia
Tallaphilia

I noticed a two piano version being listed at several USA libraries on WorldCat...........but suggest your best bet is to contact the publisher, Fischer's direct to see if they have an archive copy (unless by luck someone on this site holds a copy). I have several Chasin scores but alas have never come across a copy of Parade. Another alternative is to try Donald Manaldi at the International Piano Archive at Maryland, USA.

Malcolm
Tallaphilia

Post by Tallaphilia »

mballan wrote:
Tallaphilia wrote:Dear friends,

Tallaphilia
Tallaphilia

I noticed a two piano version being listed at several USA libraries on WorldCat...........but suggest your best bet is to contact the publisher, Fischer's direct to see if they have an archive copy (unless by luck someone on this site holds a copy). I have several Chasin scores but alas have never come across a copy of Parade. Another alternative is to try Donald Manaldi at the International Piano Archive at Maryland, USA.

Malcolm
Dear Malcolm,

thank you very much for your suggestions. I´ll be happy to find even a recording. I have seen there´s at least one by Chasins himself playing with his wife Constance Keene, but can´t find where to listen to it.

All the best!

Tallaphilia
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Talliaphila,

Chasins and Keene together recorded both Chasin's 'Parade' and "Period Suite" on an old Mercury LP. The flip side of the album has Brahms op. 39 Waltzes. I made a dub of my copy of the disk a long time ago and am appending it for you to hear. Unfortunately while I believe both pieces were doubtless published, I've never seen copies.

All Best,

Frank
02 - Chasins Parade for 2P; Period Suite for 2P.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Frank, thanks for posting this rare recording. I completely unaware of the existence of these rare pieces.
Tallaphilia

Post by Tallaphilia »

fhimpsl wrote:Talliaphila,

Chasins and Keene together recorded both Chasin's 'Parade' and "Period Suite" on an old Mercury LP. The flip side of the album has Brahms op. 39 Waltzes. I made a dub of my copy of the disk a long time ago and am appending it for you to hear. Unfortunately while I believe both pieces were doubtless published, I've never seen copies.

All Best,

Frank
02 - Chasins Parade for 2P; Period Suite for 2P.mp3
Thanks a lot Frank!

It´s great to listen to this piece. I was very interested in listening some influence of Chasins Parade on Rachmaninov Paganini Rhapsody. It seems that Chasins played his Parade many times for Rachmaninov, as they had a good relationship. After the first performance of the Rachmaninov Rhapsody Chasins noticed that one of the variations was inspired in the bass line of the Parade. Rachmaninov himself told him after the concert: Have you enjoyed the Chasins variation?
For me it seems to be the variation XXII.

Best!
musiclife217
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by musiclife217 »

lovely Nocturne by Horatio Parker... worth a play-through...

Parker, Horatio-Op. 19 No. 04-Nocturne
Parker, Horatio-Op. 19 No. 04-Nocturne.pdf
I will make an attempt at the others in the set, as well.
Aprosdoketon

Post by Aprosdoketon »

Frederic Rzewski's music is recent but licensed under a CC license, as stated in his IMSLP page.
I typeset his Nanosonata n. 1 from the Book 6 in order to test some quirky notations (central time signatures, noteheads and, especially, the strange "above dot" in bars 8 and similar) in Musescore.
Enjoy :D
1._To_a_Young_Man.pdf
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Nice job, Aprosdoketon » it's going to be a while before I can get that good with Sibelius. these quirky notations give me fits! When I can do George Crumb scores, I know I'll have mastered it. :D