Russian & Soviet Composers (Misc) - Part 2

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers (Misc)

Post by thalbergmad »

Salut comrades, here is my first Russian Concerto Scan (unisokani style).
Berkovich - Piano Concerto Op.44.pdf
Isak I Berkovich (1902 - ???) - Russian composer and pianist who studied with Ivan Ardon and Anna Rexik at the Tunguska Academy. Expelled from the Communist Party for entering the railway timetable into the Lada Users Handbook.

I will eventually do some more, but to be honest the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Magna Carta and probably even Tutankhamun's loin cloth are in a better state of preservation and undoubtedly consist of superior material.

Besides, I am too busy with my Leopold De Meyer disk.

Bye

Thal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Re: Sinisalo, Helmer-Rayner

Post by fredbucket »

alhambra wrote:Has anybody any scores of Helmer Sinisalo ?
No, I've never seen any, although Malcolm would undoubtedly know more than me. But from Grove:
____________________________________________________________________________________
Sinisalo, Helmer-Rayner

(b Zlatoust, Ural' region, 14 June 1920; d Petrozavodsk, 2 Aug 1989). Karelian composer. He studied the flute at the Petrozavodsk Music College (1935–9) but suffered political persecution as the son of an enemy of the people (his father Nestor Sinisalo was shot in 1937). He also studied composition with Peyko and Voloshinov in the Moscow and Leningrad conservatories respectively (1952–5). During his student years and for a while thereafter he played the flute in the Karelian Radio SO (1936–41 and 1944–56). He was also the artistic director and conductor of the Kantele national ensemble of song and dance (1950–52), as well as a teacher at the Petrozavodsk Music College (1948–57). He gradually moved away from performing and in 1956 became head of the Karelian composers' organization, of which he had been a member since the age of 19. He remained in this post until his death. As a composer and as a public figure who made a great contribution towards the development of a Karelian national school of professional music he received many awards, honorary titles and prizes.

Although he began composing miniatures during his student years, his real début as a composer was with his Flute Concerto (1940). His historical importance stems from his composition in 1949 of the first Karelian symphony – Bogatïri lesa (‘The Warrior Heroes of the Forest’) – and the ballet Sampo. The origins of the ballet can be traced to the choreographic poem Pobeda (‘Victory’) and the one-act ballet Kyullikki, both written during World War II and subsequently lost. Sampo, written on themes taken from the Kalevala was first performed in Petrozavodsk on 27 March 1959. Numerous performances followed in Moscow (as part of a festival of Karelian art and literature held in August 1959), across the Soviet Union, and at an international festival in Helsinki (1962). Of Sinisalo's later ballets, the one that most closely resembles the earlier ballet in the dramatic sense is Kizhskaya legenda ‘A Kizhi Legend’ of 1973.

Epic, lyrical-pastoral and dance influences predominate in Sinisalo's music. In his miniatures these factors generally operate alone, while in large-scale works they are interwoven into a multi-faceted whole. Sinisalo's language was partly moulded by his feeling for 19th-century Russian music and that of Sibelius. His style equally developed from his studies of Finnish, Karelian, Russian and Vepsian folksong. He rarely quoted actual folk melody; rather, he conveyed their characteristic colouring.
WORKS

(selective list)

Dramatic: Sampo (ballet, I. Smirnov, after Kalevala), 1959, Petrozavodsk, 27 March 1959; Ya pomnyu chudnoye mgnoven'ye (ballet, Smirnov), 1962 [after I. Glinka]; Sil'neye lyubvi [Stronger than Love] (ballet, Smirnov), 1965; Vozrast zhenshchinï [The Age of Women] (operetta, Ye. Shatunovsky), 1967, collab. A. Golland; Kizhskaya legenda [A Kizhi Legend] (ballet, Smirnov), 1973

Orch: Fl Conc., 1940; Karel'skiye kartinki [Karelian Pictures], suite, kantele orch, 1945, arr. orch (1967); Bogatïri lesa [The Warrior Heroes of the Forest], sym., 1949; Variatsii na finskuyu temu [Variations on a Finnish Theme], 1954; Detskaya syuita [Children's Suite], 1955; Pf Conc., 1958; Sampo, suite (1963) [from ballet]; Kizhskaya legenda [A Kizhi Legend], suite (1981) [from ballet]

Chbr and solo inst: Str Qt, 1942; 24 Preludes, pf, 1943; Pf Sonata, 1945; Karel'skaya syuita [Karelian Suite], str qt, 1946; 3 miniatyurï, fl, pf, 1950; 3 miniatyurï, ob, pf, 1950; 3 kontsertnïye p'yesi' [3 Conc. Pieces], cl, pf, 1974; 2 kontsertnïye p'yesi' [2 Conc. Piece

Post by alhambra »

Wow! my cup is over-flowing......

And thank you for the Grove information.

If someone is interested I will upload the SOUND file of his "Sampo" (1959) ballet. It's pretty interesting, something like Tchaikovsky-Sibelius-Khachaturian sound on it.

In fact, did it here (pretty rare stuff):
http://www.mediafire.com/?tomnmijni4j

Since I got started, here is also some additional information about some other 'celebrated' Soviet Karelian composers:

Ruvim Pergament (1906-1965) [-relative of the infamous Scandinavian Jewish composer brothers Moses Pergament and Simon Parmet (Pergament) ??]

- the 'Father' of Soviet Karelian music
- self-taught as a composer
- career's high-peak in the 1930s; vocal-symphony 'Aino' (1936)
- 'Karelian Suite' (1938)
- opera 'Kumoha' (1940) - the first Soviet Karelian opera !
- works: operas, oratorios, etc.

Karl 'Kalle' Rautio (1889-1963)

- originally from California, USA; moved to USSR in 1922
- 'The Karelian Wedding' (1926/38) for orchestra

Lauri Jousinen (1889-1948)

- originally from Detroit, Michigan; moved to USSR in 1931
- 'Northern Lustre' (1936) for orchestra

Leopold Teplitski (? - ?)

- 'Suite on Karelian Themes' (1939) for orchestra

Abram Golland (1911-1985) - Jewish ?

- some published chamber works, at least... director of Karelian symphony orchestra as well.

Thank you again !

~alhambra
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

isokani wrote:I wonder if members are aware of the following:
http://rusfno.net/Katalog_not.html

Or is this all the stuff that Rob put into one big zip file last year?
Yup. That's the one several of us ripped last year and I named & put it all together here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/127548460/r ... oom.ru.rar

For maybe 40% of the files we actually already have better scans kicking around.
relative
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by relative »

Sinisalo
Piano preludes
By ilu-s request :)
Sinisalo Preludes.PDF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Relative:

Thank you so much! for Sinisalo's preludes.

ILU
Quo melius Illac
ilu
Pianomaniac

Alfor's Rarities

Post by ilu »

I have these Gabrilin's to share -nms-, I would appreciatte the translation ( one is Tarantella), and to improve into pdf.

Thanks.

ILU.
.âáóÓ¿½¿¡,ÅýÑßÙ ñ½´ õ-¡«,45ßÔÓ.rar
GABRILIN TARANTELA.rar
Quo melius Illac
oren segev
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Re: Alfor's Rarities

Post by oren segev »

Another Gavrilin(nms)
Oren
Gavrilin - Adagio from the ballet Anyuta.pdf
oren segev
Pianophiliac

Post by oren segev »

And here is the Piece which Ilu post (not transleted)as pdf and thats what i have (the translation)
Oren
gavrilin-sbornik.pdf
oren segev
Pianophiliac

Post by oren segev »

ilu wrote:I have these Gabrilin's to share -nms-, I would appreciatte the translation ( one is Tarantella), and to improve into pdf.

Thanks.

ILU.
Hi Ilu
Thanks again for that
The list i can do to improve the Tarantella image
Oren
Gavrilin-Tarantella.pdf