Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
remy
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Post by remy »

fleubis wrote:Thank you, Jeremy. This two volume collection is most welcome, especially in such a well-fingered edition as this, and all 4 of the Op.44 etudes are included as well. Blumenfeld writes very well for the piano and should be played much more often.
You're very welcome, Fleubis. I love the Blumenfeld Etudes, the Op.17 Preludes, the Impromptus, but especially the Op.13 No.2 Impromptu in G flat; it's two minutes of heaven. On the third page when the melody returns ben cant., the piece just shimmers with joy:

http://www.piano.ru/scores/blum/blum-op13-2.pdf

especially the way Philip Thomson plays it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmBb8_mO ... t=1h15m46s

And why didn't Horowitz ever record this?

jeremy
fleubis
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by fleubis »

Yes, Jeremy, that impromptu is one of my favorite Blumenfeld pieces, but my favorite this week is the Op.14 Etude "Sur Mer", alas I do not find most of the performances of Blumenfeld on YouTube to my liking (but Thomson does a nice job with the impromptu), and this has much to do with the compressed dynamic range on YouTube (which is hideous). When heard at the dynamics the composer specifies, that impromptu is absolutely breathtaking, as is a WHOLE LOT of other music.

This problem of dynamic range does often make me search out some CD's of very well liked pieces, and in fact I am awaiting a pair of Bluemenfeld CD's presently.

Horowitz? Well, he certainly did no service to his teacher, did he? Probably because at the time he was too busy playing opera scores.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Isaak Berkovich. Born 1902 in Kiev, died 1972 Kiev. Ukrainian composer and teacher. Graduated from Kiev Conservatoire in 1925 where he studied piano with Pukhalsky, and composition with Lyatoshinsky. From 1922-52 taught piano at a number of music schools in Kiev, Bukhara and Samarkand. From 1952 as associate professor, and from 1969, as professor at the Kiev Conservatoire. Berkovich left a prolific and valuable legacy in music specifically aimed at childen and younger people.

I have posted a series of variations taken from one album [and apologies, paper was very yellowed and brittle]. These are very much in the vein of Kabalevsky, with the Paganini variations being the most complex. I am aware there is a set of variations on an Ukrainian theme already available on the internet but these are different to the variations I have duly posted here....the Paganini variations have also been available for a while, but since I was scanning the whole album just treat this as an alternate version.

Malcolm

Variations on Ukrainian Folksong Theme 'Along the path, beetle, beetle' (1958)
Berkovich I - Variations on an Ukrainian Folksong 'Along the path, beetle, beetle'.pdf
Variations on a Belorus Folk Theme ‘Perepelchka’ (1963)
Berkovich I - Variation on a Belarus Folksong 'Perepelchka'.pdf
Variations on a Russian Folksong I ‘In a field stood a Birch tree’
Berkovich I - Variations on a Russian Folksong I.pdf
Variations on a Russian Folkosng II
Berkovich I - Variations on a Russian Folksong II.pdf
Variations in D minor (1961)
Berkovich I - Variations in D minor.pdf
Variations on a Theme of Paganini (1967)
Berkovich I - Variations on a theme by Paganini.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Thank you Malcolm for the interesting Berkovich pieces. It is nice to see some high quality pieces like these for the young. Recently we have seen several collections of Russian children's music but not many of the pieces in those collections meet this standard. Berkovich seems at home writing variations, and while not technically demanding they are harmonically tame--an attractive venue for the young.

Thanks for posting!
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

A couple of extra works by Berkovich kindly shared by Edvond. From Op 46 Twenty-four Preludes [especially for Sir P], unfortunately prelude 14 is extremely faint but just readable......not sure if anyone has a notation system and could re-work this prelude ?

The Paganini Variations are a simplier version, to the previous version I posted earlier.

Malcolm
Berkovich I - Op 46 Twenty-four Preludes.pdf
Berkovich I - Paganini Variations (easy version).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Thanks for the additional Berkovich pieces, Malc. Always nice to have some quality pieces like this handy for the younger folks.
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Seconded ,and regards.

Ilu.

México.
Quo melius Illac
frlszt1811

Post by frlszt1811 »

Hi. I am new to this forum and wondered if this was the correct place to post my question. I am interested in Russian piano transcriptions and have been unable to find the following:
(1) David Pritzker (Pritsera). I have his transcription performed by Katsaris of Gliere's Bronze Horseman Valse; however, he apparently wrote two Kreisler transcriptions (? if published): Beautiful Rosemary; Viennese Caprice (1935)
(2) B. Shatskes: Four Concert Transcriptions (1988): Sorcerer's Apprentice; Medtner Three Romances; Boellmann Gothic Suite; Bach Three Chorale Preludes

Both are listed on the Malcom Henbury-Ballan Russian music website
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

frlszt1811 wrote:Hi. I am new to this forum and wondered if this was the correct place to post my question. I am interested in Russian piano transcriptions and have been unable to find the following:
(1) David Pritzker (Pritsera). I have his transcription performed by Katsaris of Gliere's Bronze Horseman Valse; however, he apparently wrote two Kreisler transcriptions (? if published): Beautiful Rosemary; Viennese Caprice (1935)
(2) B. Shatskes: Four Concert Transcriptions (1988): Sorcerer's Apprentice; Medtner Three Romances; Boellmann Gothic Suite; Bach Three Chorale Preludes

Both are listed on the Malcom Henbury-Ballan Russian music website
Welcome friszt811 to Pianophilia. Regards your enquiry - a number of original works Pritzker have been posted on pianophilia in the past [I know one album was posted by Alfor and a search should throw these up, or alternatively I can send direct to you], but alas not the Kreisler transcriptions.

I have none of the Shatskes transcriptions but I will keep an eye open for you for these and the Kreisler, in my research.

Malcolm
frlszt1811

Post by frlszt1811 »

Hello Malcom. Thank you for your kind reply. I tried to search Pritzker without success so if you could send what you have I would greatly appreciate. The Kreisler and Shatskes has been very elusive...thank you for keeping them in mind.