Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: 4 hands on TWO pianos

Post by Scriabinoff »

Chasins, Abram

(b NY, 1903 ; d NY, 1987 ).
Amer. pianist and composer. Studied pf. with Hofmann and Godowsky , comp. with R. Goldmark . On staff Curtis Inst. 1926 – 35 . Mus. dir. of NY radio station (WQXR) 1947 – 65

detailed bio
http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Bio/Chasins-Abram.htm

a 'rare' and (nice bonus) very competent performance (given the relative difficulty, requires two brave souls to make this convincing!) at a most appropriate location (Parsons Recital Hall, Times Square Hong Kong, 8-) )
http://youtu.be/2pL6T1rtY88

Arrangement by the composer:
Chasins, Abram (1903-1987)- Rush Hour in Hong Kong Duet 2P 4H.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phikfy
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Post by phikfy »

Scriabinoff wrote:Chasins, Abram

Amer. pianist and composer. Studied pf. with Hofmann and Godowsky , comp. with R. Goldmark . On staff Curtis Inst. 1926 – 35 . Mus. dir. of NY radio station (WQXR) 1947 – 65

detailed bio

a 'rare' and (nice bonus) very competent performance (given the relative difficulty, requires two brave souls to make this convincing!) at a most appropriate location (Parsons Recital Hall, Times Square Hong Kong, 8-) )

Oh it's me and my friend. Thank you for introducing my video. :D
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

phikfy wrote:
Scriabinoff wrote:Chasins, Abram

detailed bio

Oh it's me and my friend. Thank you for introducing my video. :D
I was being very conservative for the initial post. I personally loved this performance! As wonderful a piece the solo piano version is, I feel the duet is more effective and exciting, I like it more. The playing is dazzling actually! Congratulations!
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Following on from the solo piano works I posted by Reingold Gliere (1875-1956) - here are a selection of pieces for Two Pianos [the Taras Bulba is complete, but alas only a selection from Op 61].

Malcolm

Three Dances from the ballet 'Taras Bulba' [movement titles: 1. The Boundless Ukrainian Steppe 2. Whirlwind 3. Gallant Mazurka]
Gliere - Three Dances from the ballet 'Taras Bulba'.pdf
Various numbers from Op 61 Twenty-four Pieces for Two Pianos
Gliere - Op 61 No. 7 Dans la foret.pdf
Gliere - Op 61 No. 8 Les Nymphes.pdf
Gliere - Op 61 No. 10 Pres du Ruisseau.pdf
Gliere - Op 61 No. 18 Pres d'une Mosquee.pdf
Gliere - Op 61 No. 20 Le Ble Flottant.pdf
Gliere - Op 61 No. 24 Le Vent.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paolor
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by paolor »

Many thanks for these very valuable contributions to the piano duo repertoire! Great!

BW, paolor
passthesalt
Pianophiliac

Post by passthesalt »

Here's Cyril Scott's 2P arrangement of the Andante in F from Bach's Clavier Sonata in D minor:
Bach Andante in F 2p Scott.pdf

I've also ordered Scott's 2P arrangement of "Lotusland," "Russian Fair," and "Jig Fugue" a while back and will post those when they arrive. I'm still trying to locate his 2P arrangements of Bach's Invention in F, Sarabande in A minor, and Gigue in G without luck. If anyone has a lead on those, please let me know.
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

passthesalt wrote:Here's Cyril Scott's 2P arrangement of the Andante in F from Bach's Clavier Sonata in D minor:

I've also ordered Scott's 2P arrangement of "Lotusland," "Russian Fair," and "Jig Fugue" a while back and will post those when they arrive. I'm still trying to locate his 2P arrangements of Bach's Invention in F, Sarabande in A minor, and Gigue in G without luck. If anyone has a lead on those, please let me know.
Those were published as a collection under the title "Three Pieces" in 1932 by Winthrop Rogers (Boosey & Hawkes). There are 7 US libraries that hold copies.
passthesalt
Pianophiliac

Post by passthesalt »

Jim Faston wrote:
passthesalt wrote:Here's Cyril Scott's 2P arrangement of the Andante in F from Bach's Clavier Sonata in D minor:

Those were published as a collection under the title "Three Pieces" in 1932 by Winthrop Rogers (Boosey & Hawkes). There are 7 US libraries that hold copies.

Any libraries close to the Dallas / Ft Worth area? I feel like a road trip........
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

passthesalt wrote:
Jim Faston wrote:

Any libraries close to the Dallas / Ft Worth area? I feel like a road trip........
St. Louis is probably the closest. Here are the libraries listed in Worldcat:

US,KY SOUTHERN BAPTIST THEOL SEMINARY
US,MI DETROIT PUB LIBR
US,MN SAINT JOHNS UNIV
US,MO CENTRAL METHODIST UNIV, SMILEY LIBR
US,MO WASHINGTON UNIV
US,PA CARNEGIE LIBR OF PITTSBURGH
US,UT BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIV

I've had good luck with interlibrary loans from several on the list.
passthesalt
Pianophiliac

Post by passthesalt »

Thanks very much, Jim. I overlooked some of the worldcat results and thought all the copies were in Australia or Capetown.

I'll try interlibrary loan first. If that doesn't work, I can put the squeeze on my sister who lives in St. Louis (close to Washington Univ). It would be an opportunity for some juicy blackmail, which I haven't practiced on her in many a moon.