Music of the Caucasus [Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia etc.]

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
caostotale
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: guitar, bass guitar
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Music of the Caucasus [Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia etc.

Post by caostotale »

Aleksey Alekseyevich PARTSKHALADZE
Toccata, for piano, op. 12/1
Partskhaladze, A. - Toccata, for piano, op. 12, no. 1.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Here's the piano solo version of Azarashvili's Nocturne. (NMS) The quality isn't great but it is readable.
Azarashvili_Nocturne.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
remy
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by remy »

Jim Faston wrote:Here's the piano solo version of Azarashvili's Nocturne. (NMS) The quality isn't great but it is readable.
Azarashvili_Nocturne.pdf
I am overjoyed, Jim! Thanks a million.

jeremy
liveforpiano
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by liveforpiano »

Thank you Jim for the Nocturne by Azarashvilli.
What a lovely little piece it is.

Peter.(liveforpiano).
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Thanks for the kind words regarding the Nocturne by Azarashvilli. I was fortunate to find and be able to share it.
fleubis
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by fleubis »

I must also echo my thanks for unearthing the beautiful Azarashvilli Nocturne.
Maybe next we can track down another famous piece of his, the very clever "The Cuckoo".
Last edited by fleubis on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
remy
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by remy »

Jim Faston wrote:Here's the piano solo version of Azarashvili's Nocturne. (NMS) The quality isn't great but it is readable.
Azarashvili_Nocturne.pdf
This exquisite little piece seems to go right to the heart. Such a pleasure to play.

A coupe of typos:

On the last page, four measures from the end, there should be a bass clef in front of the left hand Bb octave, making it Db. And then a G clef for the remaining three chords in the left hand.

And on the first page, third line, third measure, surely that E# in the right hand is a typo, isn't it? I checked the quartet score that Jim so kindly posted and it shows an F#. My friend is sending me the original score for Flute, Clarinet, and Piano, which I'll also check. (Or is there some strange Georgian modal scale that goes Eb, E#, G?)

I like the eighth notes that the youtube pianist adds to the left hand in measures 9 and 10 on the fourth page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFxEbYr_Mzw

jeremy
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Jim Faston wrote:
caostotale wrote:Is it this piece, Jim?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpMbzcq8tco

If so, it's the first of the twenty-four preludes shared previously. In that set, it's marked Andante and bears an Azerbaijani title that I can't translate.
That's the one--many thanks. The Youtube video you provided a link to seems to be the same performance as the mp3 I downloaded--both are named Elegy. I see in Malcolm's list that there is an Elegy listed as a stand alone piece--is there yet another Elegy to be found? Thanks. again.
Upon closer examination of the score vs. the recording I present a little more conversation on the Elegy/Prelude: While the version titled Elegy in the Youtube video linked to above is essentially the same piece as number 1 in the collection of 24 Preludes, there are a few differences between the two--notably the harmony is different in mm 10,16,25 & 36. The performer also rolls the last chord--possibly artistic license but I tend to doubt that. There is no indication of the title Elegy in the collection of preludes either. Perhaps there is another version of this piece under the title Elegy that reflects these differences.
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

That could totally be the case. As I've said, a number of the '24 preludes' sets I've seen from Soviet and post-Soviet composers seem to be more like gatherings of short piano works that were composed over a number of years rather than exercises of concentrated piano composition happening in one contiguous time period. It would make sense if that was the final revision of a work that had been around for awhile. I'm not really sure where to look for more information, aside from contacting a conservatory in Baku.
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

Here's a composer of Armenian nationality who was born in Tbilisi and spent most of his life working in that city and Moscow as an opera director. A short bio (in Russian) and picture is available at:

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9C%D0 ... 0%B8%D1%87 (wouldn't directly work with Google Translate)

Or at this page:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... r7N7MQIFrA

Aleksandr Shamilyevich MELIK-PASHAYEV (MELIK-PASHAEV)
Prelude, for piano
Melik-Pashayev - Prelude, for piano.pdf