Piano Music from The Baltic

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
isokani
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Piano Music from The Baltic

Post by isokani »

I fear I missed this the first time around. I was away from home for about 5 weeks that period I think.
fleubis
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by fleubis »

isokani wrote:Just found a big piano sonata (1946) and lots of other later pieces by Janis Medins in Latvian National Library. Maybe another CD of his music is in the pipeline. Also discovered the work of Alfreds Kalnins for the first time -- made a good collection of his music. Will have to make a CD of that too! Will keep members informed.
It is great news that you have discovered more works by Medins and encourage you to make a recording of these pieces. I have been enjoying your recording of the Dainas now that it has reached our shores.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

liveforpiano wrote:Scriabinoff, thank you for posting the route to the piano concerto of Janis Medins.
What a beauty of a work it is. I do hope a CD becomes available of it. And Soon!!!

Peter.
SECONDED.

This is a lovely piece in a good performance that grows on you with repeated listenings. I just made MP3's for my iPod.
relative
Pianophiliac

Post by relative »

Scriabinoff wrote:Heino Eller - 12 Bagatelles
(i.e http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx6cUOrEUAE )

I was a little surprised some pianoogle-ing didn't turn anything up on the boards. Does anyone have these and if so, could they be posted? Did I miss them and they are indeed here but I missed them perhaps?

Manny thanks either way for looking/considering/trying. :)
Here you go :D
Eller Bagatelles 1-6 .pdf
Eller bagatelles 7-12 .pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

relative wrote:
Scriabinoff wrote:Heino Eller - 12 Bagatelles
(i.e http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx6cUOrEUAE )

I was a little surprised some pianoogle-ing didn't turn anything up on the boards. Does anyone have these and if so, could they be posted? Did I miss them and they are indeed here but I missed them perhaps?

Manny thanks either way for looking/considering/trying. :)
Here you go :D
i know i am not the only one who is absolutely THRILLED to see these!! a hearty, warm, and (most) sincere thank you for providing these :D
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

Another humble request from a someone growing increasingly enamored with his music.

I am looking for the score to the Heino Eller Prelude in D flat major ("to the memory of Alexander Scriabin")
(as recorded by Vardo Rumessen in his Eller complete preludes album from a few years backk http://www.allmusic.com/performance/pre ... 0000450246 )

I hoped it would be in the collections of preludes already posted on PP. Did I perhaps miss it and it is indeed already available to us here? Maybe it was 'hidden' in some other collection not quite coming up in a basic search?

Many thanks for any help on this. The piece is beautiful!
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

relative wrote:Eller (cont.)
some nice 'background information' on sonata No. 1 I came across from an album recording of the work I just purchased:

“Bright composer’s talent, excellent musician, fresh ideas, interesting figures of rhythm. More independence in form could be recommended.” These are the words Alexander Glazunov told Heino Eller, newly graduated composer from St Petersburg Conservatory in 1920. It is a general knowledge that the Rector of the Conservatory Glazunov was extremely critical, at times even picky at exams. One of Eller’s works for graduation was Piano Sonata No 1. Piano sonata No 1 (1920) was one of Eller’s two graduation works in St Petersburg Conservatory. By the completion of the sonata Eller had already composed about 60 pieces for piano. The sonata with its duration of more than 30 minutes is the most extensive work for piano by Eller. According to the composer himself this sonata is “a whole big symphony”. By its themes and structure this work is close to the symphonic poem Voices of the Night that reflects impressions from a stormy night at the seaside near St Petersburg during the First World War. The texture of this piece is characterized by occasional redundancy. That was pretty common in Russian and German schools where the composer often were also good piano-players. Eller himself pointed out that the sonata has “too many notes”. The work is a real expression of Sturm und Drang, an overwhelming emotion and due to its technical complexity it has not found a place in the piano players’ repertoires. Disregarding Artur Lemba’s (piano professor in St Petersburg Conservatory at that time) presentation of the piece at Eller’s graduation exam, the present recording is the first full performance of the sonata for the wider public.
edit:
fyi (digital album now seems to be 'fixed' and available for purchase as complete four movements)
http://www.classicsonline.com/catalogue ... pid=713617
Last edited by Scriabinoff on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Scriabinoff wrote:Another humble request from a someone growing increasingly enamored with his music.

I am looking for the score to the Heino Eller Prelude in D flat major ("to the memory of Alexander Scriabin")
(as recorded by Vardo Rumessen in his Eller complete preludes album from a few years backk http://www.allmusic.com/performance/pre ... 0000450246 )

I hoped it would be in the collections of preludes already posted on PP. Did I perhaps miss it and it is indeed already available to us here? Maybe it was 'hidden' in some other collection not quite coming up in a basic search?

Many thanks for any help on this. The piece is beautiful!
This Estonian Music Information Centre site has a listing of H.E.'s works here:

http://www.emic.ee/?sisu=heliloojad&mid ... hod=teosed

The prelude you seek seems to be AKA Spiritoso in D Flat as listed on the above site. I don't know if it has been published.

The Rumessen disc of preludes claims to be complete by its title but seems to be missing the 1942 preludes. EMIC lists four, but...

...were there actually FOUR preludes from 1942? There is a file in circulation of three preludes from 1942. (b, e, c#) In the EMIC listing of the 1942 preludes, a c# prelude appears twice (identical listings). Duplicate entry perhaps? Can anyone clarify this? Thanks.
relative
Pianophiliac

Post by relative »

Here is Spirituoso in Des dur. (1921)
Printed in 1992 Tallin, Muusikafond
Heino Eller Piano pieces vol. 1 Preludes ( Edited and commented by Mart Humal)
Printed in Appendix
"No one manuscript referred to name "Prelude", but it might be named so conditionally."
Eller Piece in Des dur Spirituoso dedicated to Scriabin (1921).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
relative
Pianophiliac

Post by relative »

And clean scan of Spirituoso (many thanks to Parag :) )
Eller Spirituoso dedicated to Scriabin (1921) (alt).pdf