Argentinian Music

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
liveforpiano
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Argentinian music

Post by liveforpiano »

Thank you very much for all this Pignoni music.
Very interesting.
Peter.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

lito valle wrote:Otras obras de R. Pignoni
Pignoni, Remo - Danzas tradicionales para piano.pdf
(publ. 1971)(mms)
Saludos
Please can we have this as the only example of Pignoni's music. As he died in 1988 I am a little uncomfortable as much of his music will still be in copyright and also still likely to be published [although I could not find a modern printing for this specific work]. I am happy for this one work to remain available on PP at this stage.

Malcolm
naturlaut

Post by naturlaut »

Hi Malcolm and mods,

His works are actually available for free on EPSA's website. I merely re-posted them here. You can basically download everything on their catalogue from their website, all for free. I haven't tried out the others, but I have been listening to some Pignoni and they seem interesting so I posted them.

Ernest
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

This is from ESPA's Terms and Conditions page:-

All contents of the Web Site, defined as all texts (notes, reports, comments), musical works, sound recordings, graphics, logos, icons, images, photographs, software, hardware, files of any type and any other information available in Web Site are the exclusive property of Editorial, Or third parties that have authorized Editorialpublication and / or use. They are protected by copyright law and copyright. Thus, any retransmission, publication and / or use of any materials mentioned above without the express permission ofEditorial is strictly prohibited.
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

requesting any piano music and additional biographical information on composer Dante Varela, I found mentions here and there on some Spanish sites of biographies of other musicians and conductors at the time (most likely 1950's and 1960's), but very little in the way of hard biographical information. I know he did compose some for solo piano (because I uncovered a single worldcat piano album/works hit at a University in New Mexico), and I just purchased his "Rock - Fugue", but other than that, it has been surprisingly sparse.

here is what I do know:

vintage LP back cover bio info (from Latin Holiday
Cha - Chas And Mambos
Dante Varela And His Orchestra
Decca DL 8851
1959)
Born in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Mr. Varela is a triple-threat conductor-pianist-composer who has built himself a solid reputation as an authentic and highly original Latin music-maker. His talents are often directed, with equal authority, toward jazz and ballads. The composer of over 17 popular songs, he has also written important piano suites and several orchestral works.

Mr. Varela studied piano with Vincenzo Scaramuzza and studied saxophone and clarinet with his father, Benito Varela, Professor of Music at the "Don Bosco" schools in Buenos Aires for over 20 years. Organizing his first orchestra at the age of 20, he came to the United States soon after.
pianophiliac

Post by pianophiliac »

...speaking of Argentinian music... has anyone ever had any experience with Melos publishers in Buenos Aires? They either were Ricordi, or took over Ricordi there. And they have the rights to alot of good music. The problem is buying it from them. A few years ago, when I first contacted them, they said they were not yet set up to accept credit cards. I contacted them a year or so later, same story, but they would accept a bank check. I was too hesitant at that point to do that. Early this past February I contacted them and I got a reply asking that I contact them in about a month, as they would be set up to accept credit cards then. So I contacted them at the end of February, no response. I made a heart-felt appeal about a week later, saying how much I love Carlos Guastavino's music and they're the only source, etc etc, no response.

Either they do business different down there, or they're in complete disarray.
lito valle
Pianophiliac
Conducting

Post by lito valle »

pianophiliac wrote:...speaking of Argentinian music... has anyone ever had any experience with Melos publishers in Buenos Aires? They either were Ricordi, or took over Ricordi there. And they have the rights to alot of good music. The problem is buying it from them. A few years ago, when I first contacted them, they said they were not yet set up to accept credit cards. I contacted them a year or so later, same story, but they would accept a bank check. I was too hesitant at that point to do that. Early this past February I contacted them and I got a reply asking that I contact them in about a month, as they would be set up to accept credit cards then. So I contacted them at the end of February, no response. I made a heart-felt appeal about a week later, saying how much I love Carlos Guastavino's music and they're the only source, etc etc, no response.

Either they do business different down there, or they're in complete disarray.
They're in complete disarray.... :lol:
Regards from Buenos Aires
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

Gianneo, Luis - Sonatina for Piano.pdf
Reminds me at times of Poulenc, Francaix, and Kabalevsky. Super charming and happy little work.

Luis Gianneo
Luis Gianneo 1.jpg
b Buenos Aires, 9 Jan 1897; d Buenos Aires, 15 Aug 1968). Argentine composer, conductor and pianist. He received his earliest musical training from his father, later studying with Ernesto Drangosch (piano), Luis Romaniello (piano), Constantino Gaito (harmony) and Eduardo Fornarini (composition). From 1923 to 1942 he lived in Tucumán, where he co-directed the Instituto Musical and conducted the Asociación Sinfónica. Beginning in 1943, he settled permanently in Buenos Aires, teaching at the Conservatorio Provincial de Música (1949–65), the Universidad Nacional de la Plata (1956–66) and the Universidad Católica Argentina (1964–8). He served as Interventor (1955–8) and Director (1958–60) of the Conservatorio Nacional de Música. In addition, Gianneo founded and directed two youth orchestras, which maintained outstanding standards of musical performance. He was a member of the Academia Nacional de Bellas Artes, vice-president of the Sociedad Argentina de Educación, and the recipient of a grant from the Comisión Nacional de Cultura.

Gianneo is acknowledged as a leading Latin American composer and one of the first in Argentina to integrate folk idioms with contemporary musical techniques. He composed 80 works covering all genres (except opera), and he is especially known for his orchestral and chamber music. Gianneo’s early compositions (1923–32) reveal a fascination with the indigenous culture and landscape of northwestern Argentina. Later, he embraced a neo-classical aesthetic (1933–60), and in his final works (1960–68) adapted a dissonant harmonic language and the free use of serialism. His popular symphonic poem, El tarco en flor (1930), pays tribute to the exquisite blooming trees of Tucumán. His Concierto Aymará (1942), based on pentatonic themes, won second prize in an international competition sponsored by the Edwin A. Fleischer Collection. Gianneo’s music has been recorded on historical and contemporary labels (including Preludio, Pampa, Qualiton, Angel, Odeón, Dorian and RCA Camden), and numerous taped copies of his works survive in national and municipal radio archives of Buenos Aires.

Bibliography
A. Ginastera: ‘Eight from the Argentine’, MM, xxiii (1946), 226-72
L. Gianneo: ‘Posibilidades que ofrece el folklore como elemento de orientación’, Buenos Aires musical, vii/104 (1952), 9 only
A. Terzián de Atchabahian: ‘Luis Gianneo: músico argentino’, Clave (Montevideo), no.50 (1962), 23–4, 32
J. Pickenhayn: Luis Gianneo (Buenos Aires, 1980)
Deborah Schwartz-Kates

I could not provide audio as it is still in print (I could not find an old LP to rip so I only have access to the 'recent' CD).
Further Reading - Detailed (different) Biography, with good extended commentary on the Piano Sonatas (2,6), 6 Bagatelles, and of course, nice information on the Sonatina for Piano
Luis Gianneo Piano Music Liner Notes (Detailed Bio, Program Notes).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

So this chap is technically (from what little I have found), Italian by birth, but finally settled in Argentina where he apparently contributed a great deal to their music, felt it was more appropriate to place this here, especially given the style of pieces. Any help with filling in biographical details would be most appreciated, this hit my scribd feed not too long ago but the standard download is not enabled, even for folks like myself with open download privileges, NMS just my conversion, also a cleaned up B&W version would be super cool if someone can help with that if it's possible from this file.

Jose Resta (1880-1962)
---Edit, broken file removed, and reposted via in later post.
and here an ultra nice video of Daniel Barenboin playing the Bailecito from a Mezzo broadcast in Argentina (featured in this CD http://www.allmusic.com/performance/bai ... 0000635555)
http://youtu.be/rlrxkX2-53I
basically says he recalls hearing him play this at his parents house when he was young and learned it by ear, not quite knowing if there were wrong notes, but he recently played it for his granddaughter and she liked it, so he figures it couldn't be all that bad (*hence chuckles :lol: )
Last edited by Scriabinoff on Wed May 08, 2013 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

Scriabinoff wrote:So this chap is technically (from what little I have found), Italian by birth, but finally settled in Argentina where he apparently contributed a great deal to their music, felt it was more appropriate to place this here, especially given the style of pieces. Any help with filling in biographical details would be most appreciated, this hit my scribd feed not too long ago but the standard download is not enabled, even for folks like myself with open download privileges, NMS just my conversion, also a cleaned up B&W version would be super cool if someone can help with that if it's possible from this file.

Jose Resta (1880-1962)

here his grandson plays one of the three works, Vidalita
http://youtu.be/DR9491ry_Qw

and here an ultra nice video of Daniel Barenboin playing the Bailecito from a Mezzo broadcast in Argentina (featured in this CD http://www.allmusic.com/performance/bai ... 0000635555)
http://youtu.be/rlrxkX2-53I
basically says he recalls hearing him play this at his parents house when he was young and learned it by ear, not quite knowing if there were wrong notes, but he recently played it for his granddaughter and she liked it, so he figures it couldn't be all that bad (*hence chuckles :lol: )
12.jpg
the other image one that failed (back matter)

edit - here's the final page to the bailecito, it's what I get for using a 'free' converter and merger, I don't have a proper adobe suite, and the one I used is acting quite buggy at the mommnet any help with repairing the file? i.e. adding the missing final score page and a proper merge would be much appreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scriabinoff on Wed May 08, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.