Organ Schools

Majestic music for a majestic instrument
dmush

Organ Schools

Post by dmush »

Well, congratulations on the new Pianophilia!!! It's like a new organ case with old pipes inside :-)))
What about collecting some interesting organ schools here?
For example, J.G.Herzog Orgelschule op.41?
isseau
Instruments played, if any: organ, harpsichord
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Organ Schools

Post by isseau »

dmush wrote:Well, congratulations on the new Pianophilia!!! It's like a new organ case with old pipes inside :-)))
What about collecting some interesting organ schools here?
For example, J.G.Herzog Orgelschule op.41?
Yes, good idea!
I have Friedrich Schneider's one

http://rapidshare.com/files/82696425/co ... hnuoft.rar
Op. XXXIX

Post by Op. XXXIX »

Anyone have John Stainer's organ method? I believe It was the standard on both sides of the English-speaking Atlantic (?) in the pre-Gleason days, but oddly, I have never seen a copy.
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

Op. XXXIX wrote:Anyone have John Stainer's organ method? I believe It was the standard on both sides of the English-speaking Atlantic (?) in the pre-Gleason days, but oddly, I have never seen a copy.
Hi Jason,
Stainer!!!! I was trained on him using a copy that had extremely savage usage over the years, it just about survived my handling. I can't believe there is nothing floating around, I have at least one copy in tatty (being polite) condition and I think I have one that was hardly ever used. As you might guess I haven't got it scanned yet, didn't think I would ever need to, so unless someone has been mad enough to scan it then I will do it the honours shortly, got to get some concerts out of the way first. As I recall some of the exercises were really nice little compositions and I know of someone who actually played one of the pieces at the back of the bbok in an organ playing competition! No it wasn't me, it was a lady, and nobody has called me that for a long time.
best wishes
Brian
Op. XXXIX

Post by Op. XXXIX »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote:As I recall some of the exercises were really nice little compositions and I know of someone who actually played one of the pieces at the back of the book in an organ playing competition!
Hello Brian, and please do not apologize... if you were. Sir John is so spat upon these days, and if I find The Crucifixion rather a tough sell, his canticles in Bb are still worth a hearing, not to mention his superb hymn tune Rest (not to be confused with the tune by Frederick Maker). Things don't get much better than that, though the editors of the NEH felt otherwise. Even Hymns Ancient and Modern New Standard expunges it. For shame.

No doubt there are some original gems in Stainer's organ method. Recall that Harold Gleason also commissioned some original works for his method. Some of them are absolutely delectable and were a great inspiration to me.

Several years ago I read a bio of Stainer, and the appendix listed all the hymn tunes he wrote. The list runs to approximately 160. Good grief, that's amazing.
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin

Hi Jason,
I also have some Stainer pieces originally republished (if that makes sense) by Oecumuse, would they also be of any interest? When the scanner gets hot I might as well let it have its way. Stainer can be a little long-winded at times, but he is unfortunately judged on the Crucifixion alone and as you say many of his hymn tunes are classics of their kind.
regards
Brian
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin

here especially for Jason Op.XXXIX an unexpurgated version of Stainers organ method
best wishes
Brian
Stainer The Organ.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WCosand
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by WCosand »

I converted the file posted by isseau to pdf (less than 25 MB) and posted it on my site:

http://waltercosand.com/CosandScores/Co ... Friedrich/

Merci, isseau.
Op. XXXIX

Post by Op. XXXIX »

Many thanks, Brian! Time constraints being what they are at the moment, I'll be combing through your scan this evening. This is going to be very exciting. Cheers...
isseau
Instruments played, if any: organ, harpsichord

Post by isseau »

Adolf Hesse
Nutzliche gabe fur orgelspieler
http://rapidshare.com/files/99356138/He ... l_gabe.pdf