Old Editions and Books

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Oberon Smith

Old Editions and Books

Post by Oberon Smith »

Thank you all for this forum. I am looking for a copy of Bach, Edition by Jan Chiapusso, publisher is listed as MTNA. Also, would anyone here have a pdf copy of Arthur Andersen's" First Forty Lessons in Harmony", I have the second forty in pdf... looking for the First Forty... Thank you all Oberon
soh choon wee
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Re: Old Editions and Books

Post by soh choon wee »

I am searching for :

Beethoven 32 sonata - Kirchner edition, and Eugene D'albert edition
A certain George Woodworth (or Wood-something, sorry, my memmory problem) whose EIGHT volumes of piano technique (EACH about 40 pages or so)

All three items i had seen previously in Royal Academy of Music Library, London.......
I am not a member of the library, wonder could someone help??
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo
Music Scores: Yes

Post by thalbergmad »

Anyone can order copies from the Royal Academy of music my friend.

Simply find the piece you require here: http://lib.ram.ac.uk/uhtbin/cgisirsi.exe/x/0/0/49 and note down their shelf number.

Then send an e mail to: library@ram.ac.uk

They will send you a quotation which you can then post here so we can all have a good laugh. Ring your bank to increase your credit limit on your Visa card to a few million dollars and that is about it.

I exaggerate, but not greatly.

Thal
soh choon wee
Pianophiliac

Post by soh choon wee »

I have never tried that... i came from a developing country in asia.
Thanks.
klaviersonic
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by klaviersonic »

Hello, I wonder if anybody has an english scan of CPE Bach- Essay on the True Art of Playing Keyboard Instruments?

This would be exceedingly lovely. Thanks!
soh choon wee
Pianophiliac

Post by soh choon wee »

I am looking for information of a (well, not so old) book that is published in 1990s, probably 1995.

Those who remember internet of the yesteryear, will remember many wonderful piano-discussion forum.

There is one with a member (vaguely remember her name is Cathy/Kathy Friscay) she wrote a book on piano fingering, or piano technique.

I was young then (in university) and did not get a copy.

Anyone know the detail of the book???

I think Rami Bar-niv was a actively contributing member in that forum.
WalterNiemann
Pianophiliac

Post by WalterNiemann »

Hello dear Pianophiliacs!

I just purchased an old book which contains several opusses by (of course) Walter Niemann :) There is one problem: The book itself is handmade and is made out of several books that have been bound together. The issue I have with this book is that it just won't stay open. Whenever I try to do some sightreading or simply playing some pieces it closes as soon as I start pressing the first keys.

I used to have books like this before and I 'killed' them... I cut through the strings and I devided one book into several books. But this time I really can't make a decision (probably because it is Niemann idk ^^) What do you think? Should I
a) cut through the strings to get the original paperback scores or
b) keep it as it is now?

Thank you for your efforts and answers!

Regards
Robin /WalterNiemann
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

Dear Robin,
It is really difficult to decide for you. If the binding is nice, I always find it a pity to dismember a book, even though it is by far more convenient to have the separate scores which can at last lay flat. What I do in such case is I take photos of the score of interest in the book and I convert them into PDF to be read on by tablet.
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

There exist scanners designed specifically to deal with the issue of bound/fragile books. See this blog posting for example:

https://www.thecrowleycompany.com/deter ... materials/

I don't know if you have access to any of these special machines, and I'm sure purchase would be quite expensive.

Is there anything special about the book as is, or is it merely a binder's collection? If not, I'd probably carefully cut the scores free from the binding and scan them. They could always be resewn at a later date.
WalterNiemann
Pianophiliac

Post by WalterNiemann »

Dear Jean-Séb,
Dear, Jim,

Thank you very much for your answers!
As far as the binding is concerned the book seems to be very very stable (that's why it won't lay flat I think). The binding is a little bit too strong ^^

The scanner you suggested, Jim, is the dream of every sheet music collector! But, as said before, very expensive... I'll ask in my local library if they have one of these scanners and if so, if I could use it.
The book seems to be handmade. The former owner may went to a bookbinder to let his sheet music paperbacks get bound together.

I think I'll keep the book as it is and I'm going to ask my local library!

Thank you very much for your suggestions and ideas!

Regards
Robin/ WalterNiemann