School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,
Music Scores: Yes

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Li

Post by tobyjj »

Frank,
Many thanks to you and your eldest daughter for the Reisfeld - they look like a worthwhile find - and (thankfully) playable!
Fantastic job!

I'm glad you liked the Lee Sims.

Here are 2 more:
Sims, Lee - The Moth (1932).pdf
Sims, Lee - Retrospection (1931).pdf
I believe Retrospection is the third in Sim's set "Three Moods In Blue".
The other two pieces (which you posted previously) should be "Spontaneity" & "Tranquility"

I am still searching for some other Lee Sims pieces. The ones I know of are:-
Olivelli Swank
Dublin Swing
Isle O' Mae
Blythewood Suite (containing "Loon Lake" (Prelude), "Echo Mountain" & "The Summit")

If any kind member has those ....

Regards to all,
tobyjj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by fhimpsl »

Hi tobyjj and Peter,

I'm glad you're enjoying the Reisfeld! And tobyjj...many thanks for the Lee Sims. I can post one of your wants, "Blythewood Suite" which is not my scan (a good thing, since my original xerox of this is virtually illegible). This is a good copy (tttos). All the other titles are familiar to me, but that might be from sheet music advertisements. I need to check the Lee Sims folder...if I didn't post them originally, it means I either didn't have the piece at all, or the xerox was very poor in quality. Still I'll check the folder (once I find it of course! :roll: )
The tune "Isle O' May" had some very special significance to Lee Sims, since his wife's first name was derived from it. She was a popular singer, Ilomay Bailey (and I sincerely hope I've spelled her name correctly).
Anyway, here's "Blythewood" - a major work for Sims. Enjoy!

Frank
Sims, Lee - Blythewood Symphonic Tone Poeme.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eeks1982
Participant
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by eeks1982 »

Hello all,
I've just found the music sheet of "sleepy piano" by Billy Mayerl, and wanted to share it here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4007968/Sleepy_Piano.pdf
if there is any problem for posting this file here, let me know and I'll remove it.
By the way, I also have 6 pieces selected and published by Mayerl, published under the title of Novelty piano solos ( wedding of the painted doll, at the court of the old king cole, rag doll, the match parade, the little dutch doll, the wedding of mister mickey mouse). I can upload them here if you are interested.
Enjoy
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

Firstly - thankyou very much Frank for Blythewood Suite and the mini-history behind Isle O' Mae's title.

Secondly - Eeks, Sleepy Piano has actually been posted here before (twice) - see entry for June 15th (2011). Please, don't think I'm discouraging you from posting - far from it - I intend to download your version anyway just to compare. I'm just trying to highlight the search feature (at the top of the page) within the forum. Apparently, as long as uploaded files are placed inline, they should be searcheable. Although, the search feature seems to include text as well. (Perhaps a moderator can explain how it works ... ?)

The pieces you mention as published by Mayerl sound familiar - though some of them seem to be associated (in my mind at least) with Pauline Alpert - [though I note you only put Mayerl as the publisher]. I for one would welcome you to upload this set, however, as a couple of the titles aren't that familiar. In any event I always like to compare files and with Mayerl as publisher it is quite possible there are some Mayerlesque signature "editings" or notes. So yes, please - I'm interested - please post.

If you're a Mayerl fan - I think you'll find that several contributing members have effectively covered and uploaded the entire Mayerl piano solo repertoire. Many Mayerl arrangements have been uploaded too, though there are probably many still missing. I did start to try and work out what was missing but I gave up. If I have time, I may resume that project. What we've never seen here are any of Mayerl's multi piano works (anything up to 8 pianos !). If these still exist they are probably only in the possession of the Billy Mayerl society.

Thirdly - Does anyone have Al Sherman's "Feather Suite" or anything by him or Sammy Prager?

Fourthly - Since I always ask for so much, here is a piece by Charles Gaal - Kneedeep in Stardust
Gaal, Chas - Knee Deep In Stardust.pdf
Regards to all,
tobyjj
eeks1982
Participant
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by eeks1982 »

sorry, I didn't noticed it has already been posted!and didn't thought to look in the search toolbar.
Here are the Novelties I was talking about, they are by Nacio Herb Brown, Raie daCosta, Kar Wehle, Pierre Blaauw and Harry Revel, and Franz Vienna.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4007968/Novelty.pdf
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Thanks Eeks,

My memory is rubbish - I didn't mean Pauline Alpert at all when I said "though some of them seem to be associated (in my mind at least) with Pauline Alpert" - I meant Raia Da Costa, didn't I. It's just my mind playing tricks!

Actually I like the cover on your version of Sleepy Piano, its different to the versions I have. I'm glad you posted the link. Thanks.

Regards,
tobyjj
liveforpiano
Pianophiliac

Post by liveforpiano »

Thank you Eeks, very much for posting the folio.
These pieces are always a delight to play.

Best wishes. Peter (liveforpiano).
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,
Palmer, Jack - I Knew You When.pdf
I think I'll give up asking if anyone has any more by "x" or similar.
Where is Luigi?

Regards,
tobyjj
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hi tobyjj,

I had nothing at all by Al Sherman, but one piece by Sammy Prager duly posted! :D
Prager, Sammy - Poinsettia.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

These 3 pieces should for all intents complete our archives on Lee Sims. The photocopy quality is very poor, which is why I didn't post them with the other Sims pieces some time back. I darkened the scores in scanning them as much as possible and they are at least workable until better copies surface.
Sims, Lee - Dublin Swing.pdf
Sims, Lee - Isle O' Maye.pdf
Sims, Lee - Olivelli Swank.pdf