Champion of the easy

Anything musical that will not fit into the above fora
Oberon Smith

Champion of the easy

Post by Oberon Smith »

I know in the past, I have championed the piano pieces that encourage the pianist to play tonefully, beautifully, and soulfully. Contrary to modern thought, " if it isn't hard, it is crap".... oh well, and I have championed, the Kabalevsky 3rd piano concerto, along with the Shostakovich 2nd piano concerto, (( yes, normally I detest parallel writing, because modern composers do it so badly)). But, my question here is, in the Shostakovich 2nd piano concerto, third movement, is it orchestrated for balalaikas, or do the strings create the sound.... since he is still under copyright .. I can not find an orchestral version, only the two piano version... anyone with help here would be welcome. Personally, I hear balalaikas, hummm. Thank you Oberon
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Champion of the easy

Post by alfor »

Oberon Smith wrote:...But, my question here is, in the Shostakovich 2nd piano concerto, third movement, is it orchestrated for balalaikas, or do the strings create the sound.... since he is still under copyright .. I can not find an orchestral version, only the two piano version... anyone with help here would be welcome. Personally, I hear balalaikas, hummm. Thank you Oberon
See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_Conc ... stakovich)
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
timgill
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: No

Post by timgill »

Oberon Smith

Post by Oberon Smith »

Thank you for your responses. Now, my question is, I would like to see the orchestration directives, to see how he creates the balalaika sound from the strings.... ((((side hint, I have learned from a conductor, that they do sometimes cheat and use balalaikas... hummmm)))) Thank you, Oberon
Oberon Smith

Post by Oberon Smith »

Thank you timgill, personally, I am from the era where a piano recital built to a climax, NOT one warhorse after another. The pianist constructed the program as a musical event. Oh well, Oberon

PS, please checkout the second movement from this concerto, wonderful...but again the whole concerto is not hard to play, and perfectly fitted to the young pianist.. so it is neglected .
timgill

Post by timgill »

Oooo, Oberon, I don't think I could upload the piece. But anyway thank you for your reply...!

Cheers

Tim
timgill

Post by timgill »

Sorry Oberon, I misunderstood. Shost 2, 2nd mvmt is not hard to play. But it's hard to play well. Is that your point? I think there might be a good discussion coming up...
Oberon Smith

Post by Oberon Smith »

Both the Kabalevsky and the Shostakovich concerti are "easy" for the well trained, young pianist,with maximum effect, and a joy for the older artist. But, since they aren't "laboriously difficult" with virtuosic passages, and displays... older artist ignore them, pity. And yes, I agree, anything played well, is difficult. Lately, the concert programs I see, are over labored with one demanding piece after another, I was taught the program should have rest periods for the pianist, usually building to a landmark piece at the end of the program.... just recently, I saw a program of Bach Goldberg Variations, followed by the Reger Variations... now, I ask you... who wants that .... it is coma inducing program.... oh yes, it must be hard for the pianist to do it, but, where is the listener in such a program. I remember when Charles Rosen championed all the Reger Variations on one program... what a mental feat... what a bore! Dr. Ganz was wonderful at programing for me, those beautiful small in between pieces, that linked beautifully with the main pieces... and yes, you damn well bet, they weren't easy to play well, ie: DaFalla, Scriabin, Gliere,Poulenc, Ganz,,etc etc etc..... Thank you Oberon

easy pieces/hard to play: MacDowell, To an Old White Pine, DaFalla, Recite du Pecher, Ganz, Sunday Morning on the Mountain. I am sure you can add some of your own...

sidenote: I was suggesting you listen to the Shostakovich on YouTube... not download the score...which is illegal.
supersidenote: you will find a number of artists posted on YouTube... and, oh yes, SOME CAN NOT PLAY THE SECOND MOVEMENT WELL... LMAO.... Maxim does a very fine job of it... LMAO
Oberon Smith

Post by Oberon Smith »

Thank you timgill, your comments have jogged my memory.... LMAO... I remember Dr. Ganz once "hung me up to dry" with a Schubert Impromptu.... Dang, it was hard to play well, great effect and wonderful in between piece, great for the pianist hands... but, boy was that thing a bite to play. LMAO... LMAO... Oberon