Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Post by mballan »

Back by popular demand. Part 2 of the rare Russian material I managed to obtain from Sibley Library. As always, my grateful thanks to Parag for his time and effort in cleaning up these files [believe me, some were in a terrible almost unreadable state].

Leonid Leonidovich Lisovsky [Lissowsky]. Born 1866, St. Petersburg: died 1934, Kharkiv. Russian Composer. Originally studied History & Philosphy at Kharkiv University, whilst studying piano with I. Slatina. From 1891, undertook further music studies at St Petersburg Conservatoire, graduating in 1897 [composition class under Solovyev]. From 1898 became director of the Bazilevich Music School in Poltava, and from 1913 taught at a music school in Tiflis. He also undertook writing a number of reviews for local publications.

Album de pieces
Lisovsky L - Album de Pieces.pdf
Deux Valses de salon
Lisovsky L - Deux Valses de Salon.pdf
Polka
Lisovsky L - Polka.pdf
Trois Morceaux
Lisovsky L - Trois Morceaux.pdf
Valse No. 3
Lisovsky L - Valse No.3.pdf
Malcolm & Parag
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dani_area_51
Pianophiliac

Post by Dani_area_51 »

Thank you so much as always!!
lutoslawski
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano,Violin. Composer.

Post by lutoslawski »

Thanks here too !!
Sadly enough, this kind of name where never taken interest to appear on a recording.

Tony
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Thank you Malcolm & parag for the Lisovsky. I like the Trois Morceaux which are light and fluffy like bon-bons!
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Vitol’d Malishevsky [Maliszewski, Melishevsky, Malichevsky]. Born 1873, Mogilyov-Podilsky: died, 1939, Zalesie, near Warsaw. Conductor, pedagogue and composer. Studied with Ippolitov-Ivanov in Tbilisi, then with Glazunov and Rimsky-Korsakov at the St Petersburg Conservatoire (1898-1902). From 1908 he taught at the Odessa Music School, which was to become the Odessa Conservatoire in 1913. He remained its director until 1921, when he then settled in Warsaw. Malishevsky became the founder of the Chopin Institute (1933) and taught at the Chopin School from1925-27, and the Warsaw Conservatoire from 1931 to 1939. Among his many students were Davidenko, Lutoslawski, Radchenko, Rakhlis, Steinberg and Vilinsky. Malishevsky’s early compositions reflect the influence of his Russian teachers, whereas his later works show an interest in Polish folk music.

Op 16 I posted before [now in the archive], but here is an alternate copy cleaned by Parag, plus the new Op 4 Ouevres de Piano.
Malichevsky - Op 4 Ouevres de Piano.pdf
Malichevsky - Op 16 Prelude et Fugues Fantastiques.pdf
Parag & Malcolm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Thank you Malcolm and Parag. Delighted to get to know Malichevsky. I shudder to think of what the Op.16 looked like before it was cleaned up-the note density is really awesome on some of the pages, but all is very much readable and playable. I really like how he plays with the chromatic fugue theme.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

More Sibley......Leonid Nikolayev (1878-1942) - Op 7 Barcarolle. I have posted this work in the far and distant past [in the Archive] but here is an alternate version cleaned by Parag.

Leonid Nikolayev - Op 7 Barcarolle
Nikolayev L - Op 7 Barcarolle.pdf
N. Nikolayev.....proves to be another one of those mystery composers. I have come across his works a number of times in my researches, but have never yet been able to discover anything about him [no full name, dates etc.]. Nonetheless, his works are very pleasant and engaging.

Five Pieces
Nikolayev N - Five Pieces.pdf
Nocturne
Nikolayev N - Nocturne.pdf
Scherzo
Nikolayev N - Scherzo.pdf
Souvenir d'une Valse
Nikolayev N - Souvenir d'une Valse.pdf
Trois Morceaux Lyriques
Nikolayev N - Trois Morceaux Lyriques.pdf
Malcolm & Parag
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

A little extra as I'm out for the next two evenings, so not sure if I'll be able to post anything.

Frank kindly shared a manuscript copy of Lourie's Op 40 a few months back, and Duirton has kindly typeset this into a very clean and readable copy. So special thanks to Duirton for your efforts in creating this file...and especially sharing with us :D

Malcolm

Lourie - Op 40 Ošibka baryšni smerti
Lourie A - Op 40 Ošibka baryšni smerti (Edizione).pdf
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

mballan wrote:...Frank kindly shared a manuscript copy of Lourie's Op 40 a few months back, and Duirton has kindly typeset this into a very clean and readable copy. So special thanks to Duirton for your efforts in creating this file...and especially sharing with us :D
MAGIC!!!! 8-)
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Dear Malc and Duirton,

I couldn't agree more with Rob's comment re. this transcription achievement. It is nothing short of magic. Duirton, with your keen eyesight you have brought to life what for me with my poor eyesight was not much more than scattered chicken-scratchings on ancient paper. I can't possibly commend you enough for your efforts in transcribing this important piece of music. And even more importantly, thank you for sharing the results of all this hard work with us. That is the true spirit of what Pianophilia is all about. Your generosity is truly appreciated by myself and I'm sure by all other members of this wonderful website. And it is also a tribute to Arthur Lourie, a great composer, and by extrapolation also a tribute to one of the greatest piano composers of all time, Alexander Scriabin.

With sincere thanks,

Frank