Music from the British Isles

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Music from the British Isles

Post by 4candles »

thalbergmad wrote:Ancient book in CPS archives.

Thal
Honestly, I don't think your brief comments on Hinton's concerto should have been posted here. Not normally a rules lover, I would like to reiterate rule 6 of the PP forum... 6. Never engage in personal attacks... which is what this is beginning to sound like!

Dani_area_51 wrote:Just to leave my opinion, about how much opinions can be relevant ... In the past, I didn't like Sorabji, but now I even enjoy it, so I'm not against Sorabji in anyway. Anyway, Stanford is also a great composer and has composed good music, and if he was so bad, everybody would agree with that, which is not the case.
However, that's not the remark I wished to leave in this topic. I think one likes what he wants, and no one has anything to do with that, and also, whoever has worked hardly in the past composing music, and it's still remembered today, like is the case of Sorabji and Stanford, deserves respect of everyone.
Just saying, if I want to come up with arguments, to insult any composer I want, I can do it, but I don't believe that's the right attitude and whatever made Sorabji and others criticize other composers, only them know the reason. It's like I would stop like Chopin ,just because of Gould's opinion.
My point exactly. Let's just leave it be - PLEASE! :roll:
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

I suppose I should interject on behalf of the 'management' that Thal & Mr Hinton are actually good friends and that this rather lengthy exchange on the merits of Stanford and Sorabji is more of a ritual than anything else - akin to marking territory perhaps? Anyway, it's really getting a bit tedious now. It really isn't possible to compare and contrast chalk and cheese - both have their place, and a surfeit of either is not condusive to one's health.

My personal opinion for what it is worth is that both were fine composers, but not of the first rank. Other than that one might observe that: "De gustibus non est disputandum!" - more idiomatically: "there is no accounting for taste!".
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

4candles wrote:
Honestly, I don't think your brief comments on Hinton's concerto should have been posted here. Not normally a rules lover, I would like to reiterate rule 6 of the PP forum... 6. Never engage in personal attacks... which is what this is beginning to sound like!
Before writing that, it might have been wise to have had a closer look at the score, which would have revealed that it was Arthur Hinton and not Alistair, who are in no way related.

To the best of my knoweldge, Alistair has yet to compose a piano concerto, and if he had, I would most certainly not have posted it here.

For the record, I would never attack Alistair. I have met the man, drunk his coffee and eaten his biscuit(s) and he is a damned decent chap.

My posts here were a feeble knee jerk reaction to some of the comments in Sorabji's book.

Thal+
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

Four observations:-
1. Composers who cast aspersions on other composers do themselves a disservice.
2. Rob - you could definitely get a job as a diplomat!
3. Having the last word in a debate doesn't necessarily mean victory.
4. Always wanting to have the last word in a debate can be a symptom on OCD.
(I know this from personal experience).
4candles
Pianomaniac

Post by 4candles »

thalbergmad wrote:
4candles wrote:
Before writing that, it might have been wise to have had a closer look at the score, which would have revealed that it was Arthur Hinton and not Alistair, who are in no way related.

To the best of my knoweldge, Alistair has yet to compose a piano concerto, and if he had, I would most certainly not have posted it here.

For the record, I would never attack Alistair. I have met the man, drunk his coffee and eaten his biscuit(s) and he is a damned decent chap.

My posts here were a feeble knee jerk reaction to some of the comments in Sorabji's book.

Thal+
Please, then, accept my sincere apologies for my oversight, assumptions and misunderstanding. It wasn't obvious to me that you know each other.
I was simply reacting to the paragraphs of back and forth, some of which could have been personally messaged perhaps?
passthesalt
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by passthesalt »

4candles: Thal and AHinton (not Arthur) have been going at it a long time as Rob pointed out. I've learned to make a big bowl of popcorn, grab a beer and pull up a chair whenever I see one of these back-and-forths commencing because it always delivers a lot of witty entertainment. This most recent run-in (perhaps to be titled the Plinky Plonky Gibbon and Aborted Jellyfish Steinway Attack) was one of the funniest set of exchanges I've ever read.
passthesalt
Pianophiliac

Post by passthesalt »

By the way, Thal, thanks for the Pinto sonata. I've never heard of him before. Very intriguing.
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

Since nobody has mentioned Sorabji for a few hours, I thought I would post the only known work for piano & orchestra by the only known teacher of Sorabji, being one Charles Augustus Trew.

Unfortunately (or some might say fortunately), all efforts to find the full score have failed, so it looks like it will remain one of rather numerous unperformed concerted works by British composers.

Concertingly.

Thal
Trew - Concertstuck for Piano & Orchestra.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WCosand
Pianophiliac

Post by WCosand »

Say it isn't trew!
4candles
Pianomaniac

Post by 4candles »

passthesalt wrote:I've learned to make a big bowl of popcorn, grab a beer and pull up a chair whenever I see one of these back-and-forths commencing because it always delivers a lot of witty entertainment.
I'll follow your example from now on then :D
passthesalt wrote:This most recent run-in (perhaps to be titled the Plinky Plonky Gibbon and Aborted Jellyfish Steinway Attack)
Couldn't have put it better myself! :lol: