Eduard Schütt

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Eduard Schütt

Post by fhimpsl »

I was inspired to create a thread for this prolific composer of beautiful piano music today after having discovered a prelude of his which I don't believe is generally well known. This prelude was contained in a 1919 Schirmer folio entitled "Romantic Preludes and Studies," edited by James Huneker. This book (imho) is one of the best compilations of obscure Romantic Piano gems which was ever printed.

To start off, of course I am indebted to Wikipedia for the following biographical information:

Eduard Schütt (Russian: Эдуард Шютт; 22 October 1856 – 26 July 1933) was a Russian composer, pianist, and conductor.

Eduard Schütt was born in Saint Petersburg, Russia. His father was a skilled cellist, and the family was acquainted with the pianist Anton Rubinstein. At the age of sixteen, Schütt decided to pursue an artistic career, against the opposition of his father. Rubinstein's influence ultimately convinced Schütt's father to let him pursue his artistic aspirations.[1] [2]

Schütt graduated from the St. Petersburg Conservatory in 1875 with distinction. In 1876, he travelled to Leipzig and studied under Salomon Jadassohn, Ernst Friedrich Richter, and Carl Reinecke. After completing two years of study in Leipzig, he journeyed to Vienna where he commenced studies with Theodor Leschetizky. Schütt was favored by Leschetizky, and the two remained close life-long friends.[3]

During the following few years, Schütt concertized in Hungary, Austria, and Bohemia. Around 1882, he composed and premiered his first piano concerto, Op. 7, in several major European cities. From 26 January 1881 to 20 October 1887, he was conductor of the Wiener akademischer Wagner-Verein (Vienna Academic Wagner Society).[4] In 1887, he declined an invitation from Cosima Wagner to become the music director for the Bayreuth Festival. Thereafter, he devoted himself fully to composition and spent a considerable amount of his time at his villa in Meran, which he called "Mon Repos" ("My Peace" in French). His primary residence, however, remained in Vienna, where he also did a limited amount of teaching. Throughout his life, Schütt composed a wide range of works, primarily for the piano, from miniature piano pieces to piano concertos, trios, and suites. He also composed a comic opera.

I believe we have already a great deal of music by Eduard Schutt contained within the archives; either in the Russian or German composers sections. This will take some time to review, with the aim of developing a full collection of his works for the archive. Also of course IMSLP has a substantial selection of Schutt's works available.

From what I've read through of Schutt's music, I find him to be a superbly gifted melodist; perhaps not in the class of Moszkowski when considering other composers of the lighter classical vein, but certainly deserving of a place besides good Moritz, along with Grunfeld and numerous others whom we have threads devoted to.

I would like to start this thread with Schutt's Prelude in E Minor, Op. 35, No. 1....a short piece which packs a good punch. Enjoy!

Frank
Schutt, Eduard - 035-1 - Prelude in E Minor.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mballan
Site Owner

Re: Eduard Schutt

Post by mballan »

Thank you Frank...you must be on the same wavelength as Mr P and me.....as I am about to do a mega Schutt special and post over 100+ pieces in opus order. I have also been talking with Alfor and hope he might be able to fill some of the gaps eventually [just to note, there may be a couple of duplications on some of the wonderful Schutt scores he has posted recently].

Hopefully together we will be able to cover the vast majority of his music between us all.

Thank you.

Malcolm & Mr P
Imhotep

Post by Imhotep »

To all who are interested in Schütt's music and life
When I stayed in Meran last year I had also been looking for Schütt's Villa "Mon Repos" in Obermais near Meran, but with the help with our hotelkeeper I found out that the villa had been destroyed in the 80ies.

Greetings Imhotep
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Here is the 1st part of our Schutt postings [part 2 tomorrow in groups of 10 or 20 opuses]. I will highlight those that can also be found on IMSLP.

NOTE: Regarding Op 10 - I managed to find reference, which suggested that ten of the Strauss transcriptions were allocated to this opus number, although usually a number of these are classified as non-opus. I have included the full ten works under Op 10 but I am unable to confirm at this time.

I do have further works by Schutt but these are to be scanned and added shortly.

Malcolm & Mr P

Op 1 Drei Kleine Stücke (Rahter)

Op 5 Nocturne (Rahter)

Op 7 Piano Concerto No. 1 in G minor (Siegel 1880) - arr. for Two Pianos

Op 8 Funf Klavierstucke (Rahter) 1. Humoresque 2. Ariette 3. Menuett 4. Intermezzo 5. Walzer
Schutt E - Op 8 Funf Clavierstucke.pdf
Op 9 Variations on an Original Theme – Two Pianos (Cranz)

Op 10 Concert Pharaphrases on Waltzes by Strauss (Cranz) [majority available on IMSLP]
1. Fledermaus - Walzer [Du & Du]

2. Kuß-Walzer
Schutt E - Kuss - Walzer.pdf
3. Geschichten aus dem Wienner Wald

4. Schatz-Walzer
Schutt E - Schatzwalzer.pdf
5. Rosen aud dem Suden

6. Dorfschwalben aus Oesterrich
Schutt E - Dorfschwalben.pdf
7. Kunstlerleben
Schutt E - Kunstlerleben.pdf
8. O schoner Mai !
Schutt E - O Schoner Mai!.pdf
9. Morgenblatter
Schutt E - Morgenblatter.pdf
10. An der schonen blauen Donau

Op 13 “Lose Blatter” Sammlungkleiner Clavierstucke [Nos. 1 –12] (Kistner)

Op 15 Trois Morceaux (Kistner) 1. Idylle in D minor 2. Melancholie 3. Romance-Fantaisie in B minor

Op 16 Deux Morceaux (Kistner) 1. Etude Mignonne 2. Valse mignonne [copy also at IMSLP]
Schutt E - Op 16 No. 2 Valse.pdf
Op 17 Scenes de Ballet (Rahter) 1. Gavotte-Humoresque 2. Valse lente 3. Rococo 4. Mazurka
Schutt E - Op 17 No. 3 Rococo.pdf
Op 20 Six Morceaux (Kistner) 1. Humoresque 2. Poeme d’amour 3. Scherzino in E minor 4. Chanson triste
5. Arabesque [Etude] 6. Valse in F major
Schutt E - Op 20 Six Morceaux [Nos 1-5].pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Opuses 21-40:

Op 21 “Poesies” Trois Romances (Kistner)
Schutt E - Op 21 'Poesies' Three Romances.pdf
Op 25 Bluettes en forme de Valse [Nos. 1 –10] (Rahter) [also available at IMSLP]
Schutt E - Op 25 Bluettes en forme de Valse.pdf
Op 28 Trois Morceaux (Rahter) 1. Capriccioso 2. Canzonetta 3. Scherzino
Schutt E - Op 28 No. 1 Capriccioso.pdf
Schutt E - Op 28 No. 2 Canzonetta.pdf
Op 29 Theme varie et Fugato (Rahter)
Schutt E - Op 29 Theme Varie et Fugato.pdf
Op 30 Miniatures (Kistner) [also available on IMSLP]
1. Prelude 2. Aveu 3. Papillons 4. Cantabile 5. Barcarolle 6. Cantique d’Amour 7. Impromptu Finale
Schutt E - Op 30 Seven Miniatures.pdf
Op 31 Cinq Morceaux (Kistner) [available on IMSLP]
1. Bluette 2. Feu Follet [Caprice] 3. Intermezzo 4. Reverie 5. Scherzino-Humoresque

Op 32 Deux Morceaux (Rahter) 1. Intermezzo scherzoso 2. Valse caprice
Schutt E - Op 32 No. 1 Intermezzo Scherzoso.pdf
Op 34 “Silhouettes – Portraits” Sept Morceaux (Bote) [Nos 1, 2 & 5 only]
1. Melancolie 2. Valse styrienne 3. Serenade 4. Valse 5. Reverie 6. Valse coquette 7.Capriccietto
Schutt E - Op 34 Silhouettes Nos. 1, 2 & 5.pdf
Op 35 Praeludium [Nos. 1 – 8] (Rahter)
Schutt E - Op 35 Huit Preludes.pdf
Op 36 Poesies d’Automne (Rahter)
1. Vision d’automne 2. Au village 3. Cantique d’amour 4. Valse Champetre 5. Epilogue
Schutt E - Op 36 No. 4 Valse Champetre.pdf
Schutt E - Op 36 No. 5 Epilogue.pdf
Op 37 Trois Morceaux (Kistner) [apologies, No.3 is faulty, will seek to replace asap]
1. Serenade Pastorale 2. Ariette 3. A la Humoresque
Schutt E - Op 37 Trois Morceaux [No.3 faulty].pdf
Op 38 Trois Morceaux (B Schott Sohne 1893) [also available on IMSLP]
1. Pizzicato-Valse in Db major 2. Romance in Gb major 3. A la Humoresque
Schutt E - Op 38 Trois Morceaux.pdf
Op 39 Deux Airs (Schott) 1. Air Bohémien 2. Air Villageois

Op 40 “Intermedes” Trois Morceaux (Schott Freres)
1. Cavatine 2. Impromptu Mazurka in G major 3. Danse Caracteristique
Schutt E - Op 40 Intermedes pour piano.pdf
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Opuses 41-60

Op 41 “Pele-Mele” Huit Morceaux [in two vols]
1. En campagne 2. Solitude 3. Petite Serenade 4. Arrivee du price charmant 5. Preambule du bal 6. Pas lent
7. Un peu coquette 8. Finale
Schutt E - Op 41 Pele-Mele [incomplete].pdf
Op 42 Deux Bluettes (Augener)
Schutt E - Op 42 Deux Bluettes.pdf
Op 43 Trois Morceaux (Simrock) 1. Menuettino 2. Tendre Aveu 3. Moto Appassionato
Schutt E - Op 43 Trois Morceaux.pdf
Op 45 “Causeries-Bal” Trois Morceaux (Simrock 1895) [available on IMSLP]
1. Invitation a la Valse 2. Romance d’Amour 3. Un peu baroque. Caprice

Op 46 “Scenes Champetres” Quatre Morceaux Carateristique – Piano / 4 hands (Simrock) [available on IMSLP]

Op 47 Piano Concerto No. 2 in F minor (Simrock 1892) – arr. for Two Pianos [available on IMSLP]

Op 48 Carnaval Mignon (Simrock)
1. Prelude 2. Serenade d’Arlequin 3. Tristesse de Colombine 4. Polichinelle (Burlesque) 5. Pierrot Reveur (Nocturnette) 6. Caprice-Sganarelle
Schutt E - Op 48 Carnaval Mignon.pdf
Op 49 Trois Morceaux (Simrock c. 1896) 1. Romance 2. Intermezzo – Mazurka Lente 3. Valse-Caprice
Schutt E - Op 49 Trois Morceaux.pdf
Op 50 Deux Miniatures (Simrock) 1. Romancette 2. Scene de Ballet
Schutt E - Op 50 Deux Miniatures.pdf
Op 52 Mazurka from Quatre Morceaux for Violin & Piano – arr. Piano solo (Gutheil)

Op 54 a. Walzer-Marchen – arr. Piano / 4 hands (Simrock) [available on IMSLP]

Op 55 Poesies (Simrock 1897)
1. Jours lointains 2. Premiere solitude 3. Printemps oublie 4. Caprice slave 5. Chagrin d’automne 6. Souvenir Valse
7. Pensee perdue 8. Au ruisseau
Schutt E - Op 55 Poesies, Eight Pieces.pdf
Op 56 “Souvenirs Lyrique” Six Petite Pieces (Simrock) [also available on IMSLP]
Schutt E - Op 56 Souvenirs Lyriques.pdf
Op 58 1. Valse paraphrase [Chopin] – Two Pianos (Simrock) 2. Impromptu-Rococo – Two Pianos (Simrock)

Op 59 “Papillons d’Amour” Souvenirs Viennois, Cinq Morceaux (Simrock) [available on IMLP]
1. A mignonne, Bluette 2. A la bien-aimee, Valse 3. A ma Cherie, Cantabile 4. A mon amie, Reverie Romance
5. A la Capricieuse, Scherzando
Schutt E - Op 59 No. 2 Valse.pdf
Op 60 “Pour Tour les Ages” Sixteen Elegant & Instructive Pieces for Piano (Simrock) [available on IMSLP]
1. A la nuit 2. Tendre soupir 3. Menuet de la petite Marquise 4. Un mot d’amour 5. En campagne 6. Serenade du village 7. Moment de Tristesse 8. Solitude 9. Un tour de Valse 10. Au rouet 11. Silence des bois 12. Bourlesque orientale 13. Valsette 14. En berçant 15. Jours fuyants 16. Adieu
Schutt E - Op 60 No. 7 Moment de tristesse.pdf
mballan
Site Owner

Re: Eduard Schütt

Post by mballan »

Opuses 61-80

Op 62 Theme Varie (Simrock c. 1901)
Schutt E - Op 62 Theme Varie.pdf
Op 64 “Souvenir-Valses” Cinq Morceaux – Piano / 4 hands (Simrock) [available on IMSLP]

Op 68 “Pages Intimes” Six Morceaux (Simrock) [available on IMSLP]
1. Album leaf 2. An Idea 3. Simili-Valse 4. Lettre d’Amour 5. Solitude 6. Petites Arabesques

Op 69 Deux Intermedes (Simrock) 1. A la Valse 2. A la Humoresque

Op 71 “Impressions” Cinq Morceaux (Simrock c. 1904)
Schutt E - Op 71 Impressions.pdf
Op 73 “Valse Dialogues” Deux Morceaux (Simrock)

Op 75 Trois Morceaux (Simrock) 1. Reverie-Bal 2. Air de bal 3. Intermede-Bal
Schutt E - Op 75 'Au Bal' Trois Morceaux.pdf
Op 76 Deux Moments [Danses Arabesques] [/b](Simrock) No. 1 only
Schutt E - Op 76 No.1 Deux Moments.pdf
Op 77 “Au Village et au Salon” Moments de Danse (Simrock) No. 2 only
1. Dans la Prairie – Polka Humoresque 2. A Mon Amour ! Poesie-Valse
Schutt E - Op 77 No. 2 A Mon Amour.pdf
Op 78 “Amourette” Quatre Bagatelles (Simrock)
1. En promenant 2. Tendresse 3. Fleur déracinée [Mélancolie] 4. Voila tout !…..[Epilogue-Valse]
Schutt E - Op 78 'Amourette' Quatre Bagatelles.pdf
Op 79 Andante & Scherzino (Simrock 1907) – Two Pianos [available on IMSLP]

Op 80 “Une Larme et un Sourie” Deux Bagatelles (Simrock)
Schutt E - Op 80 'Une Larme et un Sourie' Deux Bagatelles.pdf
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Opuses 81-108 [Information on Schutt's works after Op 100 always welcomed, as difficult to find any specific detail]. Works after Op 99 seem to be difficult to find, unless other members may hold other scores.

Op 81 Deux Melodies (Simrock)

Op 82 Figurante et Petites Variations (Simrock 1908)

Op 83 “Vignettes” Seven Pieces in Prelude form (Simrock)
Schutt E - Op 83 Vignettes en forme preludes.pdf
Op 84 1. Valse Parisienne (Simrock) 2. A la Gavotte (Simrock)
Schutt E - Op 84 Valse Parisienne.pdf
Op 88 Promenades [2 vols.] (Simrock) [available on IMSLP]
1. Petite passante 2. Au bois 3. Expression d’amour 4. Au champ 5. Fillette triste 6. Fripon et friponne
7. Doux printemps 8. Souvenir lointain 9. Comme autrefois 10. Poésie 11. Paysage intime 12. Gai retour

Op 89 Four Serenades (Simrock)

Op 90 Humoresque-Miniatures (Simrock) [No.1 only]
Schutt E - Op 90 Deux Humoresques-Miniatures No. 1 in F major.pdf
Op 91 Romance Appassionato (Simrock)
Schutt E - Op 91 Romance Appassionata.pdf
Op 92 “Journée d’été” Cinq Morceaux (Simrock)
1. à l’Aube 2. Calme du matin 3. Badinage [Les enfants] 4. Tenresse [Les amoureux] 5. Reverie du soir
Schutt E - Op 92 Journee d'Ete.pdf
Op 95 Theme & Variations in G major
Schutt E - Op 95 Thema mit Varianten.pdf
Op 96 Deux Canzones (Simrock)
Schutt E - Op 96 Deux Canzones.pdf
Op 97 Souvenirs de Jeunesse
1. Bonne maman reconte… 2. Petit poeme 3. Au coin charmant 4. Solitude 5. Dans la paix du soir 6. Feu pétillant
7. En campagne 8. Tendresse 9. Hiver tresite 10. Berceuse 11. Cache-cache 12. Journée de pluie 13. Doux reproche
14. Promenade joyeuse
Schutt E - Op 97 Souvenirs de Jeunesse.pdf
Op 99 Trois pieces

Op 100 Deux pieces

Op 101 Melodie-Valse

Op 102 ? 1. Muttersorge 2. A Child Asleep

Op 103 ? 1. Friendly Meeting

Op 104b Souvenir d’un printemps

Op 105 “Aux Petits Amis” Huit Bagatelles (Hansen)
1. En Voyage pour la campagne 2. Les soucis de maman 3. Au jardin fleuri 4. En Gondole 5. La joie au village
6. Repos du soir 7. Pas dansant 8. Joyeux départ

Op 108 ? 1. In the Garden 2. Dance Tune 3. Little Cradle Song
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Non-Opus works

Preludes [based on Russian Airs]
1. Fidelite 2. Bouffon 3. Priere Ardente 4. Petulance 5. Bourlatzkaja 6. Premier Chagrin 7. Salve 8. Parmi des Fleurs

Two Caprices (Simrock) 1. Kaiser-Walzer [after Strauss] 2. Pazman Valse [after Strauss]
Schutt E - Kaiserwalzer Caprice 1.pdf
Schutt E - Pazman Valse Caprice 2.pdf
Paraphrase for Piano [Left hand] and Orchestra [written for Paul Wittgenstein] (manuscript - circa. mid 1920’s)

Paraphrase uber das Lied “Vergebliches Standchen” Op 84 No. 4 von J Brahms [available on IMSLP]

Paraphrase uber “Wiegenleid” Op 49 No. 4 von J Brahms [available on IMSLP]

Russian Folksong for Piano / 4 hands [available on IMSLP]
Schutt - Russian Folksong for Piano - 4 hands.pdf
Deux Improvisations sur des motives de Richard Wagner [attached nms ttos..includes Pilgrim's Chorus as well]
1. Chant de Concours des “Maltres Chanteurs”2. Chant d’amour de la “Valkyrie”
Schutt - Improvisationen de Wagner.pdf
Three Improvisations on motives by Richard Wagner [available on IMSLP]
1. Der Fliegende Hollander – Ballade und Matrosenchor
2. Tannhaüser – Lied an den Abendstern
3. Tannhaüser – Pilger chor

Improvisation on A. Rubinstein’s song “Sehnsucht” (Simrock) [available on IMSLP]

Concert-Paraphrase No. 11 on a waltz motive by J Strauss “Wiener Blut" [Vienna Blood] [available on IMSLP]

Concert-Paraphrase No. 12 on a waltz motive by J Strauss “Freuhlingsstimmen” [Voices of Spring] [available on IMSLP]

Concert-Paraphrase No. 13 on a waltz motive by J Strauss “Wein, Weib und Gesang” [available on IMSLP]

Concert-Paraphrase No. 14 on a waltz motive by J Strauss “Freut Euch des Lebens”
Schutt E - Freut Euch des Labens.pdf
I still have a few more Schutt scores to scan and these will be added in due course [unless another member already has a clean scan]. My thanks to everyone who has enjoyed and offered comments on these postings and my very special thanks to Mr P who laboured for many days scanning these works for us.

Malcolm & Mr P
Scharwenka790

Post by Scharwenka790 »

Hi Malcolm (and Mr P)

Thank-you again for a great thread and the serious amount of repertoire you have provided in it. I can fill a few gaps but can you let me know what else you plan to post so that I don't duplicate scanning? The most substantial additions would be Op.9 and the complete Op.13 so I'll start with them unless I hear otherwise.
Also, as regards the opus number of the Strauss waltz transcriptions, I have No.1 Fledermaus in two versions - one which lists all 14 transcriptions but has no opus number on the cover and another which has 'Opus10' on the cover and only mentions the single piece. I'm inclined to think Die Fledermaus was published first as a single work op.10 and then when the other transcriptions were done it was decided they didn't deserve an opus, probably because the were transcriptions. 'Opus10' does appear though on the first music page of my edition of the 14 number version of Fledermaus which has probably caused the confusion. Probably the only reason it's there is because they have used the same plates as the original version for all but the cover.

Mike