Works That Should Be Recorded

Why can't anyone get it right?
Dani_area_51
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Works That Should Be Recorded

Post by Dani_area_51 »

There was an option I discovered the other day that was a software that comes along with Sibelius called Photoscore, and it was supposedly able to read a pdf score and transport it to sibelius where you could edit and play...
I must say that in the first score I tried it worked reasonably well but after that always shots in the dark...and so I thought, why to create a software that does not work?...But maybe, I do not know how to use the program correctly.
Fine, you may say, but we would have to hear all the pieces in midi sound. OK, but we could hear every single piece we had on pdf... Just imagine if it worked!!
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

Dani_area_51 wrote:There was an option I discovered the other day that was a software that comes along with Sibelius called Photoscore, and it was supposedly able to read a pdf score and transport it to sibelius where you could edit and play...
These have been around for a while. The best one was (and still is really) Sharpeye by Graham Jones, which unfortunately he sold off a while ago now and I havent' seen any newer versions of it. The 'lite' versions of scanning programs which come with Sibelius and Finale are not really that good IMHO.

No scanning program is perfect, and normally the scanned output need careful checking and editing. I have used Sharpeye to prepare XML files that I then read into Finale, fix up page formatting etc and then I can play it (if required) from there. Playing an unedited scan file directly is not reliable. Music is too complex a language for any program to fully interpret.

Having said that, Sharpeye came very close. On good quality scores, the number of errors was very small and editing was very quick.

Regards
Fred
Arjuna
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Pianoforte
Music Scores: No

Post by Arjuna »

I have used Photoscore before and the results were pretty pathetic. In the end I decided it would be quicker just to enter all the notes manually.
What might work better is using a good sequencing program, like Live or Cubase, and some good quality software instruments, then performing the works slowly or/and hands/parts separately, fix up all wrong notes and dynamics and so forth in the sequencing program, then increase the tempo for the performance. There are some pretty impressive software instruments out there so I imagine you could get it sounding pretty good.
I haven't tried this before so I don't know how effective it would be but I'm saving up for a new computer and software so I'll find out in a few months.
Dani_area_51
Pianophiliac

Post by Dani_area_51 »

Thank you for the heads up on sharpeye, Fred. Might try it if I can find a download of it.
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

Dani_area_51 wrote:Thank you for the heads up on sharpeye, Fred. Might try it if I can find a download of it.
http://www.visiv.co.uk/

Regards
Fred
Dani_area_51
Pianophiliac

Post by Dani_area_51 »

fredbucket wrote:
Dani_area_51 wrote:Thank you for the heads up on sharpeye, Fred. Might try it if I can find a download of it.

Regards
Fred
Thanks.
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

fredbucket wrote:

Regards
Fred
I'm quite interested in using this program to produce vocal works in alternate (and for me, lower) keys. Specifically, my current need is for a piece for audition, and the alto solo from Alexander Nevsky is something I would love to use in an audition (Russian music suits me very well). Alas the published version is a little high. :(
fredbucket
Site Admin

Post by fredbucket »

rob wrote: Alas the published version is a little high. :(
Take a good breath of helium just before singing it :-)

Send me the score please.

Regards
Fred
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello,

I don't suppose 2 years is too late a response is it? Actually I stumbled across this thread by accident and may never relocate it again, so I thought it a good idea to respond now.

Miguel Barreilles - still alive.
Yury Pronin - recently deceased

Just 2 of many unknown composers (to me), whose works struck a particular chord with me (and both totally different in style
).

At risk of having the uploads removed - (though they are only examples) here are examples of one piece from each.

Bareilles:
bareilles-miguel-tiergarten-at-night-1.mp3
bareilles-miguel-tiergarten-at-night-2.mp3
bareilles-miguel-tiergarten-at-night-3.mp3
bareilles-miguel-tiergarten-at-night-34642.pdf
Pronin:
Pronin, Yury - Terrible Cockroach Ballet Suite 1.mp3.pdf
Pronin, Yury - Terrible Cockroach Ballet Suite 2.mp3.pdf
Pronin, Yury - Terrible Cockroach Ballet Suite 3.mp3.pdf
Pronin, Yury - Terrible Cockroach Ballet Suite 4.mp3.pdf
Pronin, Yury - Terrible Cockroach Ballet Suite 1.mp3
Pronin, Yury - Terrible Cockroach Ballet Suite 2.mp3
Pronin, Yury - Terrible Cockroach Ballet Suite 3.mp3
Pronin, Yury - Terrible Cockroach Ballet Suite 4.mp3
I hope these remain here long enough for some people to enjoy them.

If they disappear, do some digging at http://www.free-scores.com
these pieces can be found there and more.

Regards,
tobyjj

Oh dear ... my first 2 lines are prophetic. I don't think this is posted in the right thread at all - and now I can't find the correct thread. This was in response to a post in 2011 by Parag. sorry.

tobyjj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)

Post by 4candles »

4candles wrote:I would love to hear recordings of the complete piano music and the one concertante work of Émile Blanchet
A disc of historic recordings of Blanchet's music (including an interview with the composer and one with Lazare Lévy talking about the composer) has been released by the Swiss label Harmonia Helvetica.
Interesting stuff!

4c