Music from New Zealand

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
tosca1

Re: Music from New Zealand

Post by tosca1 »

New Zealand's greatest composer is Douglas Lilburn who died in 2001. He was a most prolific composer who wrote with a distinctively "New Zealand" voice evolving from the influences of Sibelius and Vaughan Williams through serialism to electro-acoustic music. His great contribution of early piano works is most accessible to amateur pianists.

Kind regards,

Tosca 1
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Hmmmm, no one has mentioned the miniaturist, Frank Hutchens yet.

I'm also curious to know how someone creates a sound that is distinctively "New-Zealand" from the above "evolutionary" composers as influence.

Peter Sculthorpe has been given the title of creating something more "Australian" in sound... I'm yet to see the proof of that one as well.

Ab
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.
Music Scores: Yes

Post by fredbucket »

Abraxas wrote:Hmmmm, no one has mentioned the miniaturist, Frank Hutchens yet.
Although born in NZ, he spent his professional life in Sydney.
(b Christchurch, New Zealand, 15 Jan 1892; d Sydney, 18 Oct 1965). Australian educationist, composer and pianist. He was a pupil of Tobias Matthay and Frederick Corder at the RAM, where he won many awards both as pianist and composer, including the Thalberg Scholarship and Chappell Gold Medal. He was made an Associate in 1913 and a Fellow in 1930. After a recital tour of Britain and the USA he returned to Australia in 1915 and was appointed professor of piano at the NSW State Conservatorium. He was well known for his educational music programmes for the Australian Broadcasting Commission, and with his colleague Lindley Evans gave many piano duo recitals. For his services to Australian music education he was awarded an OBE in 1962. Probably his lasting contributions are over 60 piano pieces designed for educational purposes. Within a traditional tonal idiom, these are Impressionist miniatures exploring a wide variety of keyboard techniques.
It's very difficult to assign creative responsibility in any form of music, but a more convincing case can be made that John Antill was the first composer to create an acceptably Australian sound with his Corroboree Suite in the early 1940s. John signed my copy of Lanchbery's recording of it, and gave it his stamp of approval.

Regards
Fred
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

As much of a fantastic work as Corroboree Suite is, I would question whether appropriating (or MISappropriating) Aboriginal music means it is distinctly Australian.

Mirrie Hill wrote her Three Aboriginal Dances based on 3 different stories from tribes, however, they still remain written in a post romantic vein.

The same can be said for Maori music and the works of Frank Hutchens (Weeping Mist etc). Miriam Hyde's 'Legend' for Clarinet and Piano is another example.

Wouldn't something that is distinct to a country come from the fact that new and innovative ideas in the actual compositional devices were being used?

Ab
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

Abraxas wrote:As much of a fantastic work as Corroboree Suite is, I would question whether appropriating (or MISappropriating) Aboriginal music means it is distinctly Australian.
I have replied here - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=74&p=1629#p1629

Regards
Fred
davida march
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Post by davida march »

Frank Hutchens out of print is easy to come by over here - but is he NZ or Oz moderator?
Perhaps if he is genuinely an NZ national then we should be putting the music back here. There is always hope for Russell Crowe...
dm
fredbucket
Site Admin

Post by fredbucket »

davida march wrote:Frank Hutchens out of print is easy to come by over here - but is he NZ or Oz?
He is NOz.
davida march wrote:There is always hope for Russell Crowe...
There is no hope for Russell Crowe.

Regards
Fred