The Pianophobia Thread

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.
Music Scores: Yes

The Pianophobia Thread

Post by fredbucket »

On the previous board, I introduced the Pianophobia concept as a counterbalance to much of the fine Pianophilia we are privileged to experience. I thought it would be instructive to look at the other end of the scale - which pieces would you have preferred the composer to have been maimed with a blunt instrument (not a piano) before he/she wrote the piece.

I didn't think I 'd be able to improve on the one I posted there, acquired from Rob, but available from the National Library of Australia. I have tried, and seriously failed, to appreciate the subtleties and harmonic nuances of the piece, and the technical demands as well. It obviously requires an Isokani or Iano to do it full justice, and so I'm posting it here is the hope these people and others can rise to the occasion where I have so ingloriously failed.
Lewis,John - Australian March.pdf
But I think I may have come across something which will give this piece a run for its money. The mention of Bendix in another thread got me searching and I came up with this
bendix - grand american fantasia.pdf
which is glorious example of structural prolixity garnished with an almost ergasiophobic harmony which, if played properly of course, can only assist in sending even the most insomniac person collapsing on their bed in sheer desperation.

I await reports of audience-delighting performances.

Regards
Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davida march
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Re: The Pianophobia Thread

Post by davida march »

I thought Bendix was a dishwasher
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

davida march wrote:I thought Bendix was a dishwasher
Could well have been the same person.

Regards
Fred
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

davida march wrote:I thought Bendix was a dishwasher
In my youth "going to the Bendix" meant a trip to the launderette as not everyone in those days had washing machines and that stomach churning sloshing from the wash drum has I think been perfectly captured in this glorious piece of non-Russian "realist" music.
regards
Brian
Riodk
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, but not very well :-)

Post by Riodk »

This particular composer is Theo Bendix. There is also a Danish Composer, Victor Bendix.

There is also a well known Danish Circus family called Bendix.

Riodk
fredbucket
Site Admin

Post by fredbucket »

I thought I would revive this otherwise neglected thread.
http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db ... =6&seite=1
The poor composer must have had something better to do than this, surely? But I suppose there were no computer games in 1880...

Regards
Fred
fredbucket
Site Admin

Post by fredbucket »

Anybody who admits to either desiring to perform or else to having performed this will be instantaneously banned from PP (remember ... I have the power ...)

https://urresearch.rochester.edu/instit ... onNumber=1

Regards
Fred
kh0815

Post by kh0815 »

Riodk wrote:This particular composer is Theo Bendix. There is also a Danish Composer, Victor Bendix. There is also a well known Danish Circus family called Bendix. Riodk
German pop singer Ralf Bendix - famous "Babysitter Boogie" recorded in the 1960s, video from 1979: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nll6rUEQbHA - enjoy (?)!
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

fredbucket wrote:Anybody who admits to either desiring to perform or else to having performed this will be instantaneously banned from PP (remember ... I have the power ...)

https://urresearch.rochester.edu/instit ... onNumber=1

Regards
Fred
Well, the lyrics are wonderful.

"February twenty second, seventeen thirty two, little George Washington, first said boo boo boo boo"

I bet Schubert wished he had thought of that.

Thal