American organ music

Majestic music for a majestic instrument
tzsolti

American organ music

Post by tzsolti »

I'm searching for John Cage's Souvenir sheet music (for organ). Does anyone has it?

thanks,
Zsolti
ahinton
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:40 pm
Music Scores: No

Re: American organ music

Post by ahinton »

tzsolti wrote:I'm searching for John Cage's Souvenir sheet music (for organ). Does anyone has it?

thanks,
Zsolti
Now let me think - when was it that John Cage died?...

(...yes - still here...)
Timtin
Pianomasochist
Posts: 1944
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:36 pm
Instruments played, if any: Pianoforte
Music Scores: Yes
Contact:

Re: American organ music

Post by Timtin »

ahinton wrote:
Now let me think - when was it that John Cage died?
As a mark of respect, there was, presumably, a 4'33" period of silence when it happened!
User avatar
rob
Site Admin
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:40 pm
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)
Music Scores: Yes
Location: London
Contact:

Re: American organ music

Post by rob »

Timtin wrote:
ahinton wrote:
Now let me think - when was it that John Cage died?
As a mark of respect, there was, presumably, a 4'33" period of silence when it happened!
But performed on an ill-prepared piano...
User avatar
fredbucket
Site Admin
Posts: 1973
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:51 am
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: American organ music

Post by fredbucket »

rob wrote:
Timtin wrote:
ahinton wrote:Now let me think - when was it that John Cage died?
As a mark of respect, there was, presumably, a 4'33" period of silence when it happened!
But performed on an ill-prepared piano...
I wonder if anyone recorded it for posterity...
User avatar
rob
Site Admin
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:40 pm
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)
Music Scores: Yes
Location: London
Contact:

Re: American organ music

Post by rob »

fredbucket wrote:
rob wrote:
Timtin wrote:
ahinton wrote:Now let me think - when was it that John Cage died?
As a mark of respect, there was, presumably, a 4'33" period of silence when it happened!
But performed on an ill-prepared piano...
I wonder if anyone recorded it for posterity...
No, that would be contrary to the philosophy behind the piece which relies on the immediacy of the moment. SSSSSSHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh.......
Timtin
Pianomasochist
Posts: 1944
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:36 pm
Instruments played, if any: Pianoforte
Music Scores: Yes
Contact:

Re: American organ music

Post by Timtin »

rob wrote:
fredbucket wrote:
rob wrote:
Timtin wrote:
ahinton wrote:Now let me think - when was it that John Cage died?
As a mark of respect, there was, presumably, a 4'33" period of silence when it happened!
But performed on an ill-prepared piano...
I wonder if anyone recorded it for posterity...
No, that would be contrary to the philosophy behind the piece which relies on the immediacy of the moment. SSSSSSHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh.......
Shame - otherwise one could lock oneself in a fridge-freezer at freezing point.
Then, if it was set to cool down at 1deg/sec, by listening to Cage's masterpiece
right through, at the exact moment it ended, one would know that absolute zero
had been reached! (Come to think of it, the same effect would result without the
fridge-freezer being needed.)
User avatar
fredbucket
Site Admin
Posts: 1973
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:51 am
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: American organ music

Post by fredbucket »

Timtin wrote:Shame - otherwise one could lock oneself in a fridge-freezer at freezing point.
Then, if it was set to cool down at 1deg/sec, by listening to Cage's masterpiece
right through, at the exact moment it ended, one would know that absolute zero
had been reached! (Come to think of it, the same effect would result without the
fridge-freezer being needed.)
Not quite, Tim. You'd be 0.15K out. Absolute zero is -273.15K.

Regards
Fred
Timtin
Pianomasochist
Posts: 1944
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:36 pm
Instruments played, if any: Pianoforte
Music Scores: Yes
Contact:

Re: American organ music

Post by Timtin »

A recent composition of mine is called 9'06", consisting of 9 minutes and 6 seconds of silence,
scored for two orchestras not playing identical non-existent music.
The critics were full of praise, rightly claiming that it was twice as good as Cage's half-baked effort.
User avatar
rob
Site Admin
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:40 pm
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)
Music Scores: Yes
Location: London
Contact:

Re: American organ music

Post by rob »

fredbucket wrote:
Timtin wrote:Shame - otherwise one could lock oneself in a fridge-freezer at freezing point.
Then, if it was set to cool down at 1deg/sec, by listening to Cage's masterpiece
right through, at the exact moment it ended, one would know that absolute zero
had been reached! (Come to think of it, the same effect would result without the
fridge-freezer being needed.)
Not quite, Tim. You'd be 0.15K out. Absolute zero is -273.15K.

Regards
Fred
Whoops Fred: −273.15°C (Celsius) = −459.67°F (Fahrenheit) = 0K (Kelvin)
Is the 'degree' symbol not used for Kelvin?
Post Reply