Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
caostotale
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: guitar, bass guitar
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Post by caostotale »

You're quite welcome. The other two sonatas and the second set of 'frescos' by Abeliovich are, to my knowledge, only manuscripts (and he destroyed two other sonatas from his youth that predate 'no. 1'). Aside from the above work, I only have one other slim volume of his simply consisting of five pieces for piano, published in the late 1970s and, as of yet, unrecorded. I'll get that one up here at some point. Aside from that, all there seems to be from him in print is the 3rd violin sonata (alfor posted that) and some symphonic works, including a reduction of his 'Aria' for viola/orchestra (a very nice piece). I was hoping to find a score or reduction of his great Piano Concerto, but I don't think one exists.
Dani_area_51
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by Dani_area_51 »

Thanks for your answer. It's a shame there's so little of him then... I really enjoy your sharing spirit, and I just can't wait for the pieces I believe you still have to show us and that will expand our already amazing russian and soviet composers output.

I do recall hearing a cd with some compositions by Abeliovich, and while you can't hear any samples in the website, you can check here in amazon the track listing : http://www.amazon.com/Piano-Sonatas-Fre ... 847&sr=1-1

I think those three sonatas may be laying around somewhere, but like the Frescoes they may only exist in manuscripts...
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

I have that set of discs. I should have clarified above that most of what I know on Abeliovich is based on pianist Alexander Tutunov's liner notes for that release. He says he had to work with manuscripts to prepare for some of those performances and I assumed that he was referring to any and all of the works that cannot be found through Worldcat.org (often a decent metric for whether or not a publication ever existed). There could be other works that are only available in Minsk or other post-Soviet conservatories, but that information may never find its way into the fold.
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

Dani_area_51 wrote:Thank you so much for Abeliovich, caostotale!! I've been searching for more of his music for a long time, since Alfor has posted his Frescos Book 1. Hope you can dig up some more pieces from him :D

Best regards.
Seconded!!
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

phikfy wrote:I'm looking for the Three Pieces (1911) by Vasyl Barvinsky (this set is not even on Wiki, but only in Malcolm's list of Russian composers). Does anyone have it? I love the "Song" from the set especially, after listening to Maria Dolyncky's CD Poetic Moods. Thanks a lot in advance.

Best,
Koon
Here's the Song. (A little late I guess)
Barvinsky_Song.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fleubis
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by fleubis »

Jim Faston wrote:
phikfy wrote:I'm looking for the Three Pieces (1911) by Vasyl Barvinsky (this set is not even on Wiki, but only in Malcolm's list of Russian composers). Does anyone have it? I love the "Song" from the set especially, after listening to Maria Dolyncky's CD Poetic Moods. Thanks a lot in advance.

Best,
Koon
Here's the Song. (A little late I guess)
Barvinsky_Song.pdf
Well worth the wait. What a delightful piece. Thanks!
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

Update: I don't know much about this composer, aside from that he was a student of A. N. Alexandrov, Lipinsky, and Gliere. I have no idea which of his three sonatas this is. The volume it was taken from was published in 1980 and contained other works from the previous decade-or-so, so it might just be the last one (no. 3).

Mikhail Aleksandrovich MEEROVICH (1920, Kiev - 1993)

Orchestral Works

Suite no. 1 (1941)
Overture (1942)
Suite; for small orchestra (1946)
Anthem (dedicated to 30th anniversary of the October Revolution) (1947)
Concert waltzes (2) (1949)
March (1949)
Suite no. 2 (1949)
Suite no. 3 (1950)
Hungarian Suite; for piano and orchestra (1951)
Gypsy Rhapsody (1952)
Czech Rhapsody (1953)
Yakutian Concertino (1955)
Seven Robinsons; operetta (1967)
Piano Concerto (1967)
Trilogy (after V. Mayakovsky); ballet (1969)
Symphony no. 1 (1969)
Symphony no. 2 (1976)

Chamber Works

String Quartet no. 1 (1941)
Yakutian Suite; for piano trio (1945) (also arranged for clarinet/violin/piano)
Suite; for woodwind quartet (1946)
String Quartet no. 2
String Quaret no. 3

Piano Works

Piano Sonata no. 1 (1939)
Piano Sonata no. 2 (1940)
Ukrainian Suite (1942)
Allegro (on Ukrainian Themes) (1943)
Cappriccio (1945)
Piano Sonata no. 3 (1976)

As well, several songs and film music...
Mikhail Aleksandrovich MEEROVICH (MEYEROVICH)
Piano Sonata (1969)
Meerovich - Piano Sonata (1969).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by caostotale on Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

Here is that other volume of works by Abeliovich. As discussed above, these works were not included on the two-disc compilation that Altarus put out a few years ago.

Lev Moiseyevich ABELIOVICH
Pieces (5), for piano (1979); 1. At Dusk, 2. Clowns, 3. Intermezzo, 4. Snowstorm, 5. Postlude
Abeliovich - Pieces (5), for piano (1979).pdf
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

From Onno van Rijen's site:

Smirnova graduated with honors from the Moscow Tchaikovsky Conservatory, specialized in piano (Dr. Yakov Zak's class, 1965) and composition (Dr. Evgeny Golubev's class, 1968, earlier studied with Dr. Yury Shaporin).

She wrote quite a bit of music for all different settings. Amongst her piano pieces, there is a set of 60 (!) etudes based on Russian folk themes and one other (much later) sonata.

Tatiana Georgiyevna SMIRNOVA
Piano Sonata no. 1 (1971)
Smirnova - Piano Sonata (1971).pdf
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

Here is a small mountain of pieces from a very obscure composer from the obscure and mountainous country of Kyrgyzstan. I'm not sure if the composer is related to another named Abdylas Maldybaev, who collaborated with the Russian/Kyrgyz
composers Vladimir Fere and Vladimir Vlasov to compose a few state operas and the Kyrgyz national anthem. This is the first I've heard of Zhylaiz.

Update: Zhylaiz is actually the daughter of Abdylas and the first female Kyrgyz composer. She studied at Kyrgyz Institute of the Arts and went on to study at in Azerbaijan in the early 1970s, assisting Kara Karaev. In her work, she aimed to blend her home country's folk traditions with modern compositional elements.

Works:
Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves (1975), ballet for orchestra
Sinfonietta (1970, 1971), for orchestra
Poem (1972), suite (for strings. ork., 1968 for chamber orchestra., 1973)
String Quartet (1966)

Piano Works:
24 Preludes (1966)
Suite (1967)
Scherzo (1967)
Variations (1968)
Sonata (1969)
Toccata (1971)
10 children's Miniatures (1972)

She also wrote many songs (40), choral works, and film music.

Zhylaiz Andylasovna MALDYBAEVA (MALDIBAYEVA, etc..)
Pieces, for piano
including:
Preludes (24) (1966)
Koo (19??)
Scherzo (1967)
Maldybaeva - Pieces, for piano (1990).pdf
Piano Sonata (1969)
Maldybaeva - Piano Sonata (1969).pdf
Last edited by caostotale on Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.