Debussy and other delicate subjects

Anything musical that will not fit into the above fora
Oberon Smith

Debussy and other delicate subjects

Post by Oberon Smith »

Debussy and other delicate subjects in music.
I realize in today's world, that being PC, means more than genius in music.
But, currently I have a problem, I have taught a piece by Debussy, not the best title.
Now what to do, the student wants to play the piece in public, he plays it very well, but, the title is the title.
And I have found that the piece isn't even listed in a number of piano literature books. NOT GOOD... and yes, if I had thought about it, I should not have taught the piece,but, times being what they are, I needed the student and the money. Well, Stephen Forster was a wonderful song writer, and none of his songs can be sung in to days world, too bad, they are great for the voice and for student development. So what are others doing about this... do we not teach great literature, do we not let students perform music, that was once standard of student development. I am not comfortable with trying to alter Debussy's title, but, I have also found that libraries no longer carry the book Brer Rabbit. So, I think I am sunk... any help here from the peanut gallery... Oberon
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Debussy and other delicate subjects

Post by rob »

To my mind, there are two pieces that you might be talking about Bill... The simple answer is that you use the original titles in French, and that should not shock or offend:

eg: from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... re_Numbers
L 114, Le Petit Nègre for piano (1909)
L 113, Children's Corner for piano (1906–1908) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children%27s_Corner
1. Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum
2. Jimbo's Lullaby (This may well be a mis-translation from the English: Jumbo's Lullaby)
3. Serenade of the Doll
4. The Snow is Dancing (Isao Tomita's first album, of which this was the title track, rendered it as "Snowflakes are Dancing")
5. The Little Shepherd
6. Golliwogg's Cakewalk (often misspelled "golliwog", but this is a later usage)
Note the spelling of the Golliwogg's Cakewalk and the fact that it IS in English!

Does this help?

Rob
Oberon Smith

Post by Oberon Smith »

Rob, Thank you for the input, it is Le Petite Negre, it has been banned by the program committee, the panic has subsided.
I am trying to recast the program for the student, talent will win out, and I will pump up the Doctor Gradus and end the program with that, his degree is riding on this small program... he was not a piano major.. and I have "spoon fed" every note into him. I know that Debussy wrote it, after the success of the Cakewalk from the Children's Corner, and I am surprised that it is not listed in many books on piano lit of Debussy.. too bad, it is a cleverly written, accessible student piece. Part of the problem also seems to stem from the fact that the student could not afford to study with a teacher at the school, and since I live across the street, I coached him independently,these last 7 months. I have told him.. you think these school administrators are" petty" and "pompus"... wait til you get out in the real world..not everything is taught in books, LOLOLOL.. Thank you again... Oberon

PS.. I am deleting, and burning my copies of this piece.. Never, Never, Never again.
arglmann
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Glass Organ, Honk

Post by arglmann »

It's always the same.

People who are not involved in the performing of arts think they know best in not letting artists perform what they want to.
I never have thought anything about the piece "Le petit nègre" and played it with flute in public many times.
It's just what was in Debussy's imagination at the time. He could have thought of a different title like "Le petit clown" or similar.

Why not try it like Gottschalk did and perform this piece under another title or just say it's from an obscure composer; and see if the critics find out :-) ?
Guess this one's too well known...but so probably should have been the Beethoven piece in Gottschalks's case.
Or give it a polish title?
How many times has one played through a piece for fun and not known exactly what the title means? esp. Russian pieces :D ?

Isaac Stern was asked by people HOW ON EARTH he could perform Richard Wagner. He replied that he doesn't care about his ways, but about his music.

I hate these people who think for other people, when it comes to these things. In german, they are called "Gutmenschen", the "good guys".

It's said you literally CAN'T perform the piece anymore...

Besides, I have not heard about this discussion in germany. But then, I'm not a piano teacher. Is it similar?

Arglmann
Listen, die die Welt bedeuten.
WCosand
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by WCosand »