Anything musical that will not fit into the above fora
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Music as torture...

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

fredbucket wrote:
rob wrote:Nevertheless I used to be able to play (after a fashion) a piano sonata and a group of preludes that I wrote when I was 13 or 14, but attempting that now would torture me let alone anyone listening.
Precisely my point :D

Regards
Fred

PS are your sonata and preludes in the public domain?
Dear Fred, it is only in the "public domain" that one can view Rob's sonata and preludes. :lol: :lol: :lol:
HHH
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote:Dear Fred, it is only in the "public domain" that one can view Rob's sonata and preludes.
No, in fact I can view them in my private domain, but even at my age I'm never in there long enough...

Regards
Fred
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

fredbucket wrote:...
PS are your sonata and preludes in the public domain?
No, I am not dead yet. Although some friends would say they couldn't tell!

The works in question are in a dusty box in the garage probably. Hopefully something has eaten them or they've disintegrated over the millenia since I last saw them. The sonata was, like Prokofiev's, an opus 1 in f minor. There the comparison ends, sadly.
Arjuna
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Pianoforte
Music Scores: No

Post by Arjuna »

Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

One very effective method of musical torture is to transcribe a simple C major
piano piece into the key of A triple-sharp major. Here's its key signature.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arjuna
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Pianoforte
Music Scores: No

Post by Arjuna »

Timtin wrote:One very effective method of musical torture is to transcribe a simple C major
piano piece into the key of A triple-sharp major. Here's its key signature.
Better yet, skip the key signature and write an accidental for each note.
M.J.E.

Post by M.J.E. »

fredbucket wrote:If you had the power and means so to do, what musical torture would you devise to break even the most strong-willed of musicophiles?
     I have read that one of the methods used in Guantanamo Bay to break the will of prisoners was to subject them to hours of loud heavy metal music. I wonder how the bands concerned feel about their music having been used that way.

Regards, Michael.
M.J.E.

Post by M.J.E. »

rob wrote:In a composition lesson a million years ago I took a Chopin Etude and changed all the octaves to sevenths. The result sounded like Messiaen! Some would think of that as torturing Chopin.
     I think changing them to *minor* 9ths would make the effect more excruciating.
rob wrote:Nevertheless I used to be able to play (after a fashion) a piano sonata and a group of preludes that I wrote when I was 13 or 14, but attempting that now would torture me let alone anyone listening.
     I'd be interested to see those scores - I bet they're better than you seem to be saying.
     But I'd hesitate to show people music I wrote at a similar age - but I can't throw it out, because it is full of memories for me. At least the vision I had for my music then was, I still feel, essentially good, even if I was far less able to realize that in practice than I believed I was at the time. I still have the haunting feeling that, if I could have written my music then the way it was really meant to go, it would have been far better, and quite worthwhile, even if a little derivative of Beethoven (whom I idolized as a boy).

Regards, Michael.
M.J.E.

Post by M.J.E. »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote:PS Am I glad that cage's 4'33" referred to minutes and seconds and not years and weeks.
     I suppose there is no use, then, in your attending one of the main attractions in Halberstadt, Germany. See here for more on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_Slow_As_Possible

Regards, Michael.
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

M.J.E. wrote:
HullandHellandHalifax wrote:PS Am I glad that cage's 4'33" referred to minutes and seconds and not years and weeks.
     I suppose there is no use, then, in your attending one of the main attractions in Halberstadt, Germany. See here for more on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_Slow_As_Possible

Regards, Michael.
I have seen a photograph of the event in progress, there were no signs of life!
welcome to the family M.J.E.
regards
Brian