Musical puns, jokes, and teasers

Anything musical that will not fit into the above fora
Post Reply
User avatar
mballan
Site Owner
Posts: 2103
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:35 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Cornwall, England

Re: Musical puns, jokes, and teasers

Post by mballan » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:08 am

Timtin wrote:
fredbucket wrote: Elizabethan?

Regards
Fred
Well - he was born in the same century that she died!
Anyway, all done and dusted. Thanks to all who partook.
I'm now a spent force as far as this type of puzzle is
concerned. Next something different.....
Tim

Surely No. 4 should have been "wallet for money trade".....to achive Purcell...otherwise its sell purse the way you had written it !!!!

More quizzes please...these are fun !!

Malc

Timtin
Pianomasochist
Posts: 1902
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:36 pm
Instruments played, if any: Pianoforte
Music Scores: Yes
Contact:

Re: Musical puns, jokes, and teasers

Post by Timtin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:05 am

Sometimes you just can't get the staff!

In what sense are these opposites?

The composer of 'Ode on the Death of Mr Henry Purcell (1696)'
and that of 'Serenade in Eb for strings (1892)'.

In what sense are these opposites?

The composer of 'Adam Zero (1946)'
and that of 'Knickerbocker Holiday (1938)'.

Are there any other composer opposites?

User avatar
rob
Site Admin
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:40 pm
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)
Music Scores: Yes
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Musical puns, jokes, and teasers

Post by rob » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:09 am

Timtin wrote:Sometimes you just can't get the staff!

In what sense are these opposites?

The composer of 'Ode on the Death of Mr Henry Purcell (1696)'
and that of 'Serenade in Eb for strings (1892)'.

In what sense are these opposites?

The composer of 'Adam Zero (1946)'
and that of 'Knickerbocker Holiday (1938)'.

Are there any other composer opposites?
So Blow & Su(c)k
And Bliss & Weill (Vile)
!?!

But the name of the (recentish) former Master of the Queen's Musick, when given a 'Lunden' accent becomes: arfa bliss - which is presumably neither ecstatic nor sad?

Timtin
Pianomasochist
Posts: 1902
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:36 pm
Instruments played, if any: Pianoforte
Music Scores: Yes
Contact:

Re: Musical puns, jokes, and teasers

Post by Timtin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:22 pm

Here are some more teasers - 11 this time, to compensate for the previous shortfall.

1. Entire stream (9)
2. Fish flap America's last letter (5)
3. Inflicts heat damage to comb protuberance (9)
4. Toilet meadow (5)
5. First appearance observe (7)
6. More blood and guts (5)
7. Cockney male offspring without French (5-5)
8. Heredity expert's lad immersed in water elderly person (11-9)
9. In favour of drink always without hesitation (9)
10. Soil the girl (6)
11. Disney not off (6)

User avatar
rob
Site Admin
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:40 pm
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)
Music Scores: Yes
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Musical puns, jokes, and teasers

Post by rob » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:45 pm

11 is my favourite composer! WALTON! YAAAAAY!!!

7 is probably Saint-Saens, the Saens being 'without' (sans), but why is 'Saint' cockney?

I'd like 9 to be Piston (Pissed (meaning drunk in the UK, as opposed to angry in the US) & on), but it's not long enough...

Timtin
Pianomasochist
Posts: 1902
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:36 pm
Instruments played, if any: Pianoforte
Music Scores: Yes
Contact:

Re: Musical puns, jokes, and teasers

Post by Timtin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:08 pm

Thanks Rob for getting the party started.

No.7 is correct. 'Son' in the south London area is pronounced 'saan', where the 'aa'
sound is difficult to describe exactly, but it does (to me) strongly resemble the
French pronunciation of 'Saint'.

No.9 is your second favourite composer, although Piston might a good name
to use in some later set of quiz questions.

No.11 is correct, of course.

HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:19 pm
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Zeist, The Netherlands

Re: Musical puns, jokes, and teasers

Post by HullandHellandHalifax » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:14 pm

Timtin wrote:Thanks Rob for getting the party started.

No.7 is correct. 'Son' in the south London area is pronounced 'saan', where the 'aa'
sound is difficult to describe exactly, but it does (to me) strongly resemble the
French pronunciation of 'Saint'.

No.9 is your second favourite composer, although Piston might a good name
to use in some later set of quiz questions.

No.11 is correct, of course.
Fancy not realising it was Prokofiev Rob, shame on you.
regards
Brian

Timtin
Pianomasochist
Posts: 1902
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:36 pm
Instruments played, if any: Pianoforte
Music Scores: Yes
Contact:

Re: Musical puns, jokes, and teasers

Post by Timtin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:29 pm

I'm saying nothing, except that Brian is correct, of course, and that he
may well have already got all the others as well, but is holding back.

Btw, I forgot to add an important Health and Safety message, namely
that solvers are in danger of losing the will to live during this exercise.

User avatar
rob
Site Admin
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:40 pm
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)
Music Scores: Yes
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Musical puns, jokes, and teasers

Post by rob » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:47 pm

HullandHellandHalifax wrote:Fancy not realising it was Prokofiev Rob, shame on you.
regards
Brian
Why is it Prokofiev? I gathered it must be from Tim's comment. But why? I'm crap at crosswords - it's just not the way my brain works (when it works at all).

The 'pro' is 'in favour of' - but the rest?

HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:19 pm
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Zeist, The Netherlands

Re: Musical puns, jokes, and teasers

Post by HullandHellandHalifax » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:24 pm

rob wrote:
HullandHellandHalifax wrote:Fancy not realising it was Prokofiev Rob, shame on you.
regards
Brian
Why is it Prokofiev? I gathered it must be from Tim's comment. But why? I'm crap at crosswords - it's just not the way my brain works (when it works at all).

The 'pro' is 'in favour of' - but the rest?
Hi Rob,
simple...Pro-koffie-ev(er)
It may surprise you to know that I used to write crosswords for a civil service magazine years ago and have several examples of hate mail from people who had problems even solving one clue. This of course could reflect well or not on my clue-making ability or it could reflect on the intelligence level of civil servants and I am not giving anyone the answer to that question.
cheers fellow solvers
Brian

Post Reply