Rarity and curiousity

Anything musical that will not fit into the above fora
timgill
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: No

Re: Rarity and curiousity

Post by timgill »

Essentially it's down to the publishers, but if the composer specifically asked for the score to be arranged that way they would probably comply. But it would be interesting to know his reasons. Imagine a piano score with the left hand on top!
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.
Music Scores: Yes

Post by fredbucket »

timgill wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:10 amImagine a piano score with the left hand on top!
Bach did that on a few occasions...

Regards
Fred
MrTchaikovsky

Post by MrTchaikovsky »

fredbucket wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:29 am
timgill wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:10 amImagine a piano score with the left hand on top!
Bach did that on a few occasions...

Regards
Fred
A probably more apt comparison would be an organ score with the pedals written between both hands.
Und sollte ich vergessen haben, jemanden zu beschimpfen, dann bitte ich um Verzeihung! - Brahms
MrTchaikovsky

Post by MrTchaikovsky »

timgill wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:10 am Essentially it's down to the publishers, but if the composer specifically asked for the score to be arranged that way they would probably comply. But it would be interesting to know his reasons. Imagine a piano score with the left hand on top!
That is true; just consider the common practice in 19th century scores to write the singers in operas between cellos and violas or the way Shostakovich writes the trumpets above the horns.
Nevertheless, this layout is truly bizarre, but consistently so in this composers output. Combining this with the fact that other scores by the same publisher retain the standard layout, we must conclude that it is an idiosyncrasy of this tone-smith (is that a word?).
Und sollte ich vergessen haben, jemanden zu beschimpfen, dann bitte ich um Verzeihung! - Brahms
lutoslawski
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano,Violin. Composer.

Post by lutoslawski »

anybody knows what is this object, that i just found at the flea market? image attached.

cheers,
Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dhruvapunde

Post by dhruvapunde »

lutoslawski wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:24 am anybody knows what is this object, that i just found at the flea market? image attached.

cheers,
Tony
It kinda looks like a sextant, used for navigation at sea (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sextant)
Kind Regards, Dhruva

my score videos - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGN3RVAodiogEyT4PSwIavg
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

I couldn't see everything but to me it looks more like a postal weighing scale without the pan and the feet.
regards
Brian
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

lutoslawski
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano,Violin. Composer.

Post by lutoslawski »

dhruvapunde wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:00 am
lutoslawski wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:24 am anybody knows what is this object, that i just found at the flea market? image attached.

cheers,
Tony
It kinda looks like a sextant, used for navigation at sea (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sextant)
Thanks! It was a sextante after all :-)
Pianoman
Pianophiliac

Post by Pianoman »

lutoslawski wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:07 am
dhruvapunde wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:00 am

cheers,
Tony
Thanks! It was a sextante after all :-)
A Portuguese invention!