Half step Whole step system

Anything musical that will not fit into the above fora
kingarthur

Re: Half step Whole step system

Post by kingarthur »

Wow. I admit when it was first posted, I was as confused as Hexameron as to why it made a difference. Now I understand and realize that when I learned tonal music I learned with whole and half steps and when I learned about atonality I learned the semitone system because the whole tone/half tone system fails to describe beyond-tonal music. Allen Forte's pitch class sets as described in The Structure of Atonal Music (ie describing a major triad with 1-5-8) makes much more sense. Maybe it's just the way I was trained, but I still find it easier to think of tonal music with half/whole steps (qualitative: minor second, major second, minor third, etc) So my use of the different vocabularies stem from whether I am talking about tonal or atonal music and I didn't even consciously recognize that until reading these posts. So, as the Russians would say, "спасибо!" (pronounced 'spaseeba')

Большое спасибо (balshoy spaseeba) Oberon and fellow pianophiles,
kingarthur
Oberon Smith

Re: Half step Whole step system

Post by Oberon Smith »

KingArthur.. Thank you for your postings. I did not realize, until I gave the lecture for a local College, that in atonal music the system is widely used. Hence, why the other teacher, wanted my lecture and demonstration. He also has informed me, that with his nonpiano majors, he is now getting far better results. I also, have picked him up, as a private student, NOT FOR PIANO, but harmony lessons...and with the current, Barack O'Bummer's economic policies, the extra money is coming in very handy. I wish to also acknowledge, and Thank, two un posted members here, for the support and information. One of the un named, is sending me the Bartok information, on how this system is used and taught , I will look up the Foote, information. Blessings to all, and thank you for the Russian. Oberon