Composer Miscellany/Souvenirs/Collections

Anything musical that will not fit into the above fora
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)
Music Scores: Yes

Composer Miscellany/Souvenirs/Collections

Post by 4candles »

Not sure where this could sit to be honest, but I recently ordered a scan from the BnF of one of three volumes of letters/press clippings/records/drawings put together to commemorate the life and music of French composer-critic Léon Kreutzer, who still fascinates me.

Among the pages of the book are letters – from Liszt, Gounod, Meyerbeer, Adolphe Sax, and others – and a few beautiful lithographs(?) and drawings (one of the young composer by his eventual wife, Clémence Kautz, a one-time student of Liszt). Unfortunately several of these pictures seem to be missing from the volume.

To have such a record of a relatively elusive, creative figure is great and I hope some of you who have an interest in historical letters and biographies might find some of it interesting. And if there are any among you who are good at deciphering handwriting, I'd love to learn what some of the less-legible letters are telling us!

Scan viewable here.

Thanks
4c
Festa
Participant
Instruments played, if any: Piano, guitar
Music Scores: No

Re: Composer Miscellany/Souvenirs/Collections

Post by Festa »

Was everything in there confirmed to be genuine, 4c? If so, it's quite extraordinary indeed.
Many people are excited about lightweight wheelchairs and trying them.
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Post by Jean-Séb »

Oh, I had missed that interesting link provided by 4candles. All that stuff gathered around the memory of Leon Kreutzer and his family is quite moving. Lots of newspaper clips. Among the letters, a few by well-known musicians such as Marmontel, Halévy, Adople Sax, Pauline Viardot, Meyerbeer, Liszt, Dancla, Stephen Heller, or, surprisingly, Wagner (page 114) :
Monsieur et Madame Richard Wagner ont l'honneur de prévenir monsieur Léon Kreutzer qu'étant forcés de partir pour Bruxelles, ils ne recevront pas demain Mercredi ni le Mercredi suivant, mais ils espèrent que Monsieur Léon Kreutzer leur fera le plaisir de venir passer la soirée chez eux le Mercredi 11 avril.
(Mr and Mrs Richard Wagner have the honor to inform Mr Léon Kreutzer that being forced to leave for Brussels, they will not receive tomorrow Wednesday or the following Wednesday, but they hope that Mr Léon Kreutzer will make them the pleasure of coming to spend the evening at home on Wednesday 11 April.)
timgill
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: No

Post by timgill »

Fascinating documents. I've always had the idle thought that when Charles Alkan "showed" his orchestral Symphony in B minor to Kreutzer in 1846, the composer actually parted company with the score and Kreutzer never gave it back. That does happen from time to time. I couldn't trace any mention of it in the documents, which is a shame.