Jacob Martinson

A forum for the approved uploads of works by living composers
zeniyama

Jacob Martinson

Post by zeniyama »

Here's a little canon I wrote yesterday. It's not very good, but I'm just now beginning to experiment with counterpoint, and I'd like some opinions on my humble beginnings.

I'm hoping to make digital copies of more of my works--especially the better ones--in the future.
Martinson_Canon.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arjuna
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Pianoforte
Music Scores: No

Re: Jacob Martinson

Post by Arjuna »

It's nice.
If you want some advice though, save your fifths and octaves for the beginning and end of phrases - unless you have a good reason not to - and use mostly 3rds and 6ths during the phrase. Also try to keep your phrases even and balanced (i.e. in multiples of 2 or 4 bars. - Your canon is 11 bars long and the first phrase is 6 bars (2+4).)
It might make things easier as well to think in chords.
But like I said, it's nice and I'd keep it up if I were you.
zeniyama

Post by zeniyama »

Thanks for the advice; I'll keep it in mind the next time I make an attempt at counterpoint.
The odd number of measures kind of bothered me once I was finished, but by that time I didn't feel inclined to go back and change everything to fix it. It kind of gives the piece a weird feeling to me, though, like there's something in it that doesn't quite belong, or that it ends a measure before or after it should have.
zeniyama

Post by zeniyama »

Here's a piece I wrote about a year and a half ago.
Martinson_A Musical Joke.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zeniyama

Post by zeniyama »

Here's a piece that I've written in a bit more of a serious style. It's still quite short, but I like writing in this sort of a tonal texture as opposed to more conventional ones.
Martinson_Chorale Grave.pdf