Original Compositions

A forum for the approved uploads of works by living composers
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Original Compositions

Post by fhimpsl »

Hello All, About 20 years back I composed a set of four "Insect Oddities" dedicated to Billy Mayerl (who composed a piano suite with that title). I recently happened upon the only one of them which was notated, with Encore (and with the help of my late friend, Jon Skinner). It is entitled "Cricket's Lament" and is my attempt at emulating the Mayerl style. I hope some of you will enjoy this.

All best,

Frank Himpsl
Himpsl - Cricket's Lament.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Re: Original Compositions

Post by rob »

Looks terrific Frank! I bet one or two of our pianists here will give it a public performance!!!! 8-)
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Rob, Thanks so much for the kind words of encouragement. Nothing would make me happier than to have pianists enjoy and perform the piece!

All best,
Frank
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

Dear Frank,

thank you very much for a really good piece of "light music"! Did you ever try to get it published? IMHO it is better than many published pieces in this genre. (There are some minor errata I detected: a missing natural sign and an incorrect triplet at the end). - Would like to get more pieces of your pen!!

best regards

alfor
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Dear Alfor,

Your kind remarks positively made my day! I've never had any of my compositions published in the past. As an amateur pianist/composer/etc. the Pianophilia site seems a perfect venue for sharing original works. Of the original set, "Cricket" was the only one notated; but I had used Cakewalk software to create a midi file of another piece entitled "Bed Bugs." This one is a happy romp at presto tempo (once again emulating the Mayerl style)...hope you enjoy it.

Very Best Regards,
Frank
Bed Bugs.mid
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iano

Post by iano »

I was going to say the same as alfor. Very convincing pastiche, if you wanted to take it at that level, but of course it's much more: original and sophisticated. Well done and thanks Frank. Would like to see more.
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Frank:
Thank you for sharing Bed bugs, a great melody and an excellent piano study, really original!

We will be waiting for the score.

ILU
Quo melius Illac
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Dear iano and ilu, Thank you both so much for your kind words regarding these tunes of mine! I can't begin to tell you how much the positive feedback means to me. In fact it is inspiring me to return to composing (and finding my old Encore software will be a necessary first step toward that end!) Your kindess and encouragement are so very much appreciated. :))

All best,

Frank
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hello Friends, I've reconnected a long defunct computer upon which I had Encore software installed in an effort to upload some of my earlier compositions. The results were not 100% perfect because my knowledge of Encore back 15 or so years ago never extended beyond a basic level. Although the scores should be correct in terms of notation and timing, there are several thorny issues which I can't correct. For these I apologize in advance. One issue is correct placement of repeat brackets, which on the printed score intersect the upper half of the treble. Hopefully those who are interested in reading the scores will be able to detect and read past the numerous flaws here and there.

About the time I composed the "Insect Oddities" suite in tribute to Billy Mayerl, I also wrote a piece in honor of Roy Bargy. In the early 1920's US, Roy Bargy and Zez Confrey were two of the leading exponents of the novelty piano composition style, much the same as Mayerl was in the UK. So here is my Bargy tribute, entitled "Bargin' In," and I hope some of you will enjoy the piece.

All best,

Frank Himpsl
Himpsl - Bargin' In.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

I composed this waltz for my wife and the music was played as the bridal procession in our wedding (along with the traditional Mendelssohn and Wagner, of course!)

Frank
Himpsl - RaeOSunshine.pdf