Untitled by Davida March

A forum for the approved uploads of works by living composers

Untitled by Davida March

Postby davida march » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:44 pm

removed dm
Last edited by davida march on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
davida march
Pianophiliac
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:48 am

Re: compositions

Postby kh0815 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:53 pm

Helen, thank you for the link to your really interesting site! But the title of this thread ("compositions") seems to be a little too general and therefore misguiding. Maybe you would have an own proposal for renaming it?
Suaviter in modo, fortiter in re! (Claudio Acquaviva [1543-1615] - Industriae ad curandos animae morbos)
kh0815
Pianophiliac
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:35 pm

Re: compositions

Postby davida march » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:07 pm

kh0815 wrote:Helen, thank you for the link to your really interesting site! But the title of this thread ("compositions") seems to be a little too general and therefore misguiding. Maybe you would have an own proposal for renaming it?


I hope that somewhat improves things for The Moderators.

dm
User avatar
davida march
Pianophiliac
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:48 am

Re: compositions

Postby fredbucket » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:42 pm

davida march wrote:I hope that somewhat improves things for The Moderators.

Speaking of behalf of but obviously not for the other admins on this board (Sorry DM but we don't have moderators - far too common) I can definitely say that since I don't understand the meaning of the title of this thread I therefore have no objections to it.

I think I'm getting too old.

I would like to hear a live performance of Aardvark by the composer, prefereably on a period instrument. I imported the midi file into Finale but the program complained that the composition was far too complex and it couldn't possibly understand why I wanted to punish it in this way. I managed to mollify Finale by promising it that I was going to notate some Granados later and it grudgingly gave me a series of notes which firstly on my piano twisted my fingers into contortions not seen since I tried to apply Indian massage principles to my knuckles and secondly caused me severe pulmonary distress when I was foolish enough to try to play selected notes (ie the ones I could understand) on my cor anglais.

My psychiatrist has reccommended a remedial course of playing Burgmuller studies for three days non stop.

I do not like my psychiatrist.

Regards
Fred
User avatar
fredbucket
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1839
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:51 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: compositions

Postby davida march » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:37 am

fredbucket wrote:
davida march wrote:I hope that somewhat improves things for The Moderators.

Speaking of behalf of but obviously not for the other admins on this board (Sorry DM but we don't have moderators - far too common) I can definitely say that since I don't understand the meaning of the title of this thread I therefore have no objections to it.

I think I'm getting too old.

I would like to hear a live performance of Aardvark by the composer, prefereably on a period instrument. I imported the midi file into Finale but the program complained that the composition was far too complex and it couldn't possibly understand why I wanted to punish it in this way. I managed to mollify Finale by promising it that I was going to notate some Granados later and it grudgingly gave me a series of notes which firstly on my piano twisted my fingers into contortions not seen since I tried to apply Indian massage principles to my knuckles and secondly caused me severe pulmonary distress when I was foolish enough to try to play selected notes (ie the ones I could understand) on my cor anglais.

My psychiatrist has reccommended a remedial course of playing Burgmuller studies for three days non stop.

I do not like my psychiatrist.

Regards
Fred


You'll just have to wait for its companion piece 'Sausage, Dr. Johnson?' which will be far more accessible. Still, it's nowhere as hard as Finnessy or Xenakis or my daughter's somewhat amazing solo piano transcription of New Order's 'Shellshock' which she managed to lose on a computer which succumbed during the transcription process.
;)
User avatar
davida march
Pianophiliac
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:48 am

Re: compositions

Postby fredbucket » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:57 am

davida march wrote:You'll just have to wait for its companion piece 'Sausage, Dr. Johnson?' which will be far more accessible.

Can you please explain for us ergasiophobes precisely what is the link between aardvarks and sausages.
davida march wrote: Still, it's nowhere as hard as Finnessy or Xenakis or my daughter's somewhat amazing solo piano transcription of New Order's 'Shellshock' which she managed to lose on a computer which succumbed during the transcription process.;)

It probably collapsed under the strain. Computers do have feelings, you know...

Regards
Fred
User avatar
fredbucket
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1839
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:51 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: compositions

Postby davida march » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:04 am

fredbucket wrote:
davida march wrote:You'll just have to wait for its companion piece 'Sausage, Dr. Johnson?' which will be far more accessible.

Can you please explain for us ergasiophobes precisely what is the link between aardvarks and sausages.
davida march wrote: Still, it's nowhere as hard as Finnessy or Xenakis or my daughter's somewhat amazing solo piano transcription of New Order's 'Shellshock' which she managed to lose on a computer which succumbed during the transcription process.;)

It probably collapsed under the strain. Computers do have feelings, you know...

Regards
Fred


Well it has to do with watching Ink and Incapability very late one night. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ink_and_Incapability
Aardvark was a well known omission from the Dictionary but sausage as an omission was probably invented by Baldrick.
The point is, there is no point! It is mere postmodern digression with no rhyme, rhythm or melody.
User avatar
davida march
Pianophiliac
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:48 am

Re: compositions

Postby kh0815 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:44 am

davida march wrote:
kh0815 wrote:Helen, thank you for the link to your really interesting site! But the title of this thread ("compositions") seems to be a little too general and therefore misguiding. Maybe you would have an own proposal for renaming it?

I hope that somewhat improves things for The Moderators. dm

Helen: Wonderful new title - congrats!
Suaviter in modo, fortiter in re! (Claudio Acquaviva [1543-1615] - Industriae ad curandos animae morbos)
kh0815
Pianophiliac
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:35 pm

Re: compositions

Postby HullandHellandHalifax » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:57 am

kh0815 wrote:
davida march wrote:
kh0815 wrote:Helen, thank you for the link to your really interesting site! But the title of this thread ("compositions") seems to be a little too general and therefore misguiding. Maybe you would have an own proposal for renaming it?

I hope that somewhat improves things for The Moderators. dm

Helen: Wonderful new title - congrats!

Haha!! dada is alive and well....or should that be DaMa? Who cares, Satie would probably find it all wonderful and cheer loudly all the time.
regards
Brian
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
 
Posts: 765
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:19 pm
Location: Zeist, The Netherlands

Re: compositions

Postby fredbucket » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:18 am

davida march wrote:The point is, there is no point! It is mere postmodern digression with no rhyme, rhythm or melody.

A pity indeed. I was trying to imagine an aardvark sausage...

Regards
Fred
User avatar
fredbucket
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1839
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:51 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Next

Return to 21st Century Composers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest