Bernard Geary - Irish Composer

A forum for the approved uploads of works by living composers
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Bernard Geary - Irish Composer

Post by mballan »

Bernard Geary was born in Cork in 1934, and studied at University College, Cork. He was encouraged by Aloys Fleischmann. He is a composer of much orchestral and chamber music and some exquisite choral music.
His output for the piano is currently small but includes this Scherzo, a Sonatina and 2 Cameos.

Apologies, this is a scan of the manuscript [with the composer's permission] so quality is not very good.

Malcolm
Geary B - Scherzo.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Re: Bernard Geary - Irish Composer

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

Thanks for this Malc.
For those who are interested, Aloys Fleischmann was the son of Tilly Fleischmann born Tilly Swertz, despite her name she was born in Cork in Ireland from German parents. Tilly was a piano pupil of Bernhard Stavenhagen and Berthold Kellermann both Liszt pupils and wrote a technical manual of the teaching of Stavenhagen and Kellermann, called Tradition and Craft in Piano Playing which has only now been published in full by Carysfort Press in Ireland. In the book she explains many things Liszt taught to his pupils including special fingerings and much insight into how Chopin wanted his music played, the book in A4 format comes with a DVD of all the music examples in the book. If you want a really good book about 19th century piano playing from a technical point of view as well as aesthetic, this book makes essential reading. I have only just started reading it myself but what I have read so far is really exciting.
regards
Brian
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote:For those who are interested, Aloys Fleischmann was the son of Tilly Fleischmann born Tilly Swertz, despite her name she was born in Cork in Ireland from German parents. Tilly was a piano pupil of Bernhard Stavenhagen and Berthold Kellermann both Liszt pupils and wrote a technical manual of the teaching of Stavenhagen and Kellermann, called Tradition and Craft in Piano Playing which has only now been published in full by Carysfort Press in Ireland. In the book she explains many things Liszt taught to his pupils including special fingerings and much insight into how Chopin wanted his music played, the book in A4 format comes with a DVD of all the music examples in the book. If you want a really good book about 19th century piano playing from a technical point of view as well as aesthetic, this book makes essential reading. I have only just started reading it myself but what I have read so far is really exciting.
The text is available here - https://www.vifamusik.de/fileadmin/user ... eading.pdf

Regards
Fred
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

Aha! but not the DVD, nevertheless, worthwhile to download it.
well done for finding it fred
regards
Brian