Toccatas and Ceremonial Music for Organ

Majestic music for a majestic instrument
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)
Music Scores: Yes

Toccatas and Ceremonial Music for Organ

Post by 4candles »

Pending whether the administrators allow this thread, can I please ask if anyone knows of any easy toccatas (preferrably including pedals) or other pieces which would be suitable for the 'send-off' at a wedding?

I've been asked to play my friends out of the church after they get married (hopefully not because of the disastrous nature of my playing, but because they actually want me to!), but my organ-playing skills are fairly basic and I'm not the fastest learner.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
4candles
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Re: Toccatas and Ceremonial Music for Organ

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

Hi 4candles,
The easiest Toccata that I know which is easily sight-readable for the average organist and which for the almost-non-organist is playable with very little in the way of pedals to get in the way is the Toccata in G by Theodore Dubois. For a top organist in Paris he was very sparing in his use of the pedal, I have one of his Wagner transcriptions pour Grand Orgue and you can count the use of the pedal on the fingers of one hand. he would be my choice, plus the music is very appealing.
regards
Brian

Edit. I have just seen that I scanned the music yonks ago so here you are, judge for yourself.
Dubois Toccata in G.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)

Post by 4candles »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote:Hi 4candles,
The easiest Toccata that I know which is easily sight-readable for the average organist and which for the almost-non-organist is playable with very little in the way of pedals to get in the way is the Toccata in G by Theodore Dubois. For a top organist in Paris he was very sparing in his use of the pedal, I have one of his Wagner transcriptions pour Grand Orgue and you can count the use of the pedal on the fingers of one hand. he would be my choice, plus the music is very appealing.
regards
Brian

Edit. I have just seen that I scanned the music yonks ago so here you are, judge for yourself.
Dubois Toccata in G.pdf
Thanks for this Brian.
I will see how I get on, though I should have mentioned my sight-reading isn't brilliant either...! :oops:
If you think of any more, I'd be grateful for your expert insight.
Op. XXXIX

Post by Op. XXXIX »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote: The easiest Toccata that I know which is easily sight-readable for the average organist and which for the almost-non-organist is playable with very little in the way of pedals to get in the way is the Toccata in G by Theodore Dubois.
Classical tempest in a teapot! :lol:

That's about the only piece of Dubois which surfaces in public, probably more often as a closing voluntary than in recital. He also wrote an interesting piece (and more difficult than the toccata) called Fiat Lux. It was actually played on a recent broadcast of CE, don't recall which foundation.
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Here's a reworked version of Marius Monnikendam's first Toccata for organ that Jeux_d_Oh uploaded.
Monnikendam_Toccata I for Organ (1936).pdf
Some biographical info here:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... onnikendam

A nice recording here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHNp0fFaWDo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeux_d_Oh

Post by Jeux_d_Oh »

Jim Faston: bartje11 uploaded a recording of the Monnikendam Toccata with score https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYArxHyPY28