Jehan Alain & other French Composers for the Organ

Majestic music for a majestic instrument
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)
Music Scores: Yes

Jehan Alain & other French Composers for the Organ

Post by 4candles »

Am I right in thinking that Jehan Alain's music is out of copyright (and has been for about 7 months)? If so, would it be deemed appropriate for his scores to be posted on PP? Only part of his L'Oeuvre d'Orgue appears on IMSLP and I would love to own many of his other works (organ and other) without paying for them, as frankly I cannot afford it...!

This also goes for the Keyboard Music discussion. Alain wrote some fantastic piano works, but they are stupidly expensive (in my book at least).

If this topic is allowed to be presented, might I ask if I can post a similar topic in the Keyboard Music discussion?

Any thoughts and advice?

Thanks,
4candles
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Re: Jehan Alain & other French Composers for the Organ

Post by rob »

Hello Fork 'andles... ;)

Title and wording adjusted.

In the piano section there should at least one thread for French Piano Music - no new thread needed.

Alains music, for editions published in his lifetime came out of copyright in Europe on January 1st 2011 - the rule is Jan 1st in the year 70 years after the death of the composer (1940 in this case).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehan_Alain

I suspect I and many others have his entire organ and piano oeuvre in scans already. I expect before I have time to dig them out, name them appropriately and crop & tidy the images that some kind member will beat me to it.

Rob
4candles
Pianomaniac

Post by 4candles »

Many thanks for your helpful info Rob - I hope to see a fruitful response to my score-seeking in due course :D
giwro
Instruments played, if any: Organ, Piano

Post by giwro »

One small caveat - it used to be that in France, there was a law that extended copyright to 100 years after the death of a composer if he or she was " mort pour France" i.e. died in wartime service or similar circumstances. I'm not sure this continues, but I've never heard of it having been repealed... Jehan died in WWII serving the French army....
rob
Pianomaniac

Post by rob »

giwro wrote:One small caveat - it used to be that in France, there was a law that extended copyright to 100 years after the death of a composer if he or she was " mort pour France" i.e. died in wartime service or similar circumstances. I'm not sure this continues, but I've never heard of it having been repealed... Jehan died in WWII serving the French army....
How interesting Jonathan!!! I am willing to believe though that the EU has standardised at 70 years, and unless anyone can unearth and verify that this rather respectful rule continues and is applicable outside France then we will allow posts of Alain's music published during his lifetime.
didi
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by didi »

Jonatha you are right.
Here the relevant part from a page from imslp.org:
http://imslp.org/wiki/Public_domain#Com ... _few_years
-----------------------------
France

As from January 1, 1995, the basic copyright has a duration of life of the last surviving author +70 years. Anonymous editions enjoy a copyright of 70 years after publication, or if not published, 70 years after creation. There is 30 extra years for authors who 'died in action' (like Jehan Alain). In addition, posthumous works are copyrighted 25 years from the year of publication. However, protection of musical works enjoys special time extension compensating for the war period (WWI and WWII). For composers who died before January 1, 1995, the time protection after death is 78 years and 120 days for works published between January 1, 1921 and December 31, 1947 and 84 years and 272 days for works published until December 31, 1920. This is why none of Ravel’s work is Public Domain in France in 2009 while it is so in many European countries.
---------------------------------

At the end of this page Alain is also NOT listed to be out of copyright from 2011 on.

Didi
rob
Pianomaniac

Post by rob »

I wonder though Didi whether the French law applies to countries outside France? I cannot see that it can.
4candles
Pianomaniac

Post by 4candles »

rob wrote:I wonder though Didi whether the French law applies to countries outside France? I cannot see that it can.
I sincerely hope it doesn't - I don't think I could wait another few years to get this music! :roll:
didi

Post by didi »

Jonathan

the best you can do is to ask at imslp.org forum (Copyright Status Requests):
http://imslpforums.org/viewforum.php?f=13
on copyright status of Jean Alain.
The should know best.

BR // Didi
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

didi wrote:Jonathan

the best you can do is to ask at imslp.org forum (Copyright Status Requests):
http://imslpforums.org/viewforum.php?f=13
on copyright status of Jean Alain.
The should know best.

BR // Didi
I would repectfully ask someone to check this with IMSLP before I agree to allow any works by Alain to be posted on PP. Beyond that I am in two minds about this - first in repsect of French law as Alain died for his country and if that is the law of the land then that should be respected wherever possible. Secondly, I do not wish to butt heads with the likes of Durand, Salabert or any of the other major French publishers. I suspect the high cost of his music is to grab the last few euros before the "extra" time period lapses.

Please advise here regards advice from IMSLP.......and I will deliberate.

Malcolm