Organ Symphonies (solo, without orchestra)

Majestic music for a majestic instrument
Op. XXXIX

Re: Organ Symphonies (solo, without orchestra)

Post by Op. XXXIX »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote: Alistair, for us lesser mortals who would be very interested in the music to follow as Kevin wrestles with the organ have you considered issuing the symphonies in a study score format for that purpose, I am sure many of us organists would be fascinated to see the score but would not want to or have the space for the full thing. It would then of course also be more affordable so we could enjoy the performance without that feeling of why did I buy this score I will never play it.
Exactly. If the glorious KB -a musician I admire very much- ever records the Sorabji, I would be more inclined to buy that recording if I could have access to the score, at least temporarily. And the same would apply to piano scores of Sorabji which have been recorded. Alistair?
ahinton
Music Scores: No

Post by ahinton »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote:
ahinton wrote:http://www.sorabji-organ.org
http://www.sorabji-archive.co.uk
for some details of Sorabji's three symphonies for organ solo and Kevin Bowyer's immensely ambitious project to edit and perform all of them...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair, for us lesser mortals who would be very interested in the music to follow as Kevin wrestles with the organ have you considered issuing the symphonies in a study score format for that purpose, I am sure many of us organists would be fascinated to see the score but would not want to or have the space for the full thing. It would then of course also be more affordable so we could enjoy the performance without that feeling of why did I buy this score I will never play it.
best wishes
Brian
Just seen your message, so sorry not to have responded earlier. We could issue these works in a reduced size format (A4) but they wouldn't be particularly legible at that size - indeed, no. 3 (which for the time being exists in only ms. format) would be virtually impossible to read on A4! But, subject to the usual caveat emptor, we will supply these scores at A4 size upon request and they would indeed be considerably more affordable than they are in A3 format (although I should nevertheless point out the Kevin's handwritten dition of the second symphony extends to 396 pages)...

Best,

Alistair
Last edited by ahinton on Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ahinton
Music Scores: No

Post by ahinton »

Op. XXXIX wrote:
HullandHellandHalifax wrote: Alistair, for us lesser mortals who would be very interested in the music to follow as Kevin wrestles with the organ have you considered issuing the symphonies in a study score format for that purpose, I am sure many of us organists would be fascinated to see the score but would not want to or have the space for the full thing. It would then of course also be more affordable so we could enjoy the performance without that feeling of why did I buy this score I will never play it.
Exactly. If the glorious KB -a musician I admire very much- ever records the Sorabji, I would be more inclined to buy that recording if I could have access to the score, at least temporarily. And the same would apply to piano scores of Sorabji which have been recorded. Alistair?
Go visit the website for details!

Best,

Alistair
giwro
Instruments played, if any: Organ, Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Post by giwro »

As part of my research for the Organ Symphonie book, I am constantly
finding wonderful gems that very few have heard... this is one of them!

Édith Beaulieu has produced a fine Organ Symphonie, written in 5 movements in cyclical form.
I give you here for your listening pleasure movement 2:

http://www.evensongmusic.net/audio/beau ... Sym1-2.mp3

I'm really very impressed by this work - it reminds me a LOT of Vierne...
starting very soft and lovely it builds to a staggering fortissimo before returning
to the soft sounds of the beginning.

Enjoy, and best wishes for the new year!

- G
isokani
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by isokani »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote:I don't quite know how I should respond to this post, on the one hand the composer in me is quite elated at hearing his music so well realised by our good friend giwro and can't thank him enough for this quite exceptional piece of work. The sound is superb.
The me in me is like a kid in a toyshop with permission to stay there all day, I sit here listening to MY symphony and keep on telling myself that I wrote it and that I can even bear listening to it, I am not by nature a person with a Wagnerian conception of themselves, Lisztian possibly, so I don't want to post here either a plug for my Symphony or wait for a bucketload of praise from everyone.
I am over the moon that giwro wants to publish the Symphony, that is a great honour which I can't thank him enough for,and which is for me far more satisfying than one of the really big boys who have decided that it might fit in with their plans this side of 2050.
His assessment by the way that India has collided with France is bang on the button, France has always had a link with the Orient and it therefore felt quite appropriate to connect the two yet again.
thanks giwro, you are fantastic.
best wishes
Brian
Dear Brian
Just enjoyed your Symphony. Perhaps Mulet meet Foulds??
Very clear, but with plenty of mystery -- just the right combination for a piece of music. I think the organ must really be the correct instrument for you.
And a great performance! Congratulations to Giwro of course.
Speaking of France and the Orient, I wonder who else would consider Messiaen's Indian and other business an extension of the exoticism of the 19th C?
All best, and perhaps go for Sym. no.2!
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

Thanks Jonathan, coming from you it is a great compliment indeed, I feel most humble. Mulet meets Foulds, an interesting combination and I wouldn't disagree, and yes a 2nd Symphony does not seem a bad idea either. Heavens what might happen there Cage meets Nancarrow on a prepared pianola organ. I will let you know as soon as the muse bites.
regards
Brian
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

Here's something I posted recently, then withdrew for the following reasons.
1. The thread choice isn't great.
2. One or two pages weren't tidy enough.
3. The work is perhaps not of interest to many.
4. The delete button is one I find difficult to resist.

Guilmant Organ Sonata No6 in B minor Op86.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

Timtin wrote:...
We can remove your ability to edit or delete your posts!!!
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin

rob wrote:
Timtin wrote:...
We can remove your ability to edit or delete your posts!!!
rob forgot to add that with the new software we should be able to delete you as well...total control hahahahahahahahaha!!!!Igor, my cape please
regards
Brian
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin

Dear Friends and organ enthusiasts,
I have just been informed of a CD that has been published of my Organ Symphony in a sort-of double world premiere possibly.
Not only is it the premiere of my Symphony on a Cavaille-Coll/Mutin organ but the first where the organist/composer was present only through a symbiotic mind-smelting link and the resulting perfect performance captured via the computer. My thanks to giwro for providing the link and his great production skills.
The recording is dirt cheap so please buy a lot and give to your friends.

http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00ZCFDXN&pp=1

best wishes to all and please forgive the little element of spamming
regards
Brian