Organ transcriptions

Majestic music for a majestic instrument
rob
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Organ transcriptions

Post by rob » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:32 am

Op. XXXIX wrote:...Here is the anecdote: there was a performance of the Bach B minor scheduled one Sunday afternoon at the Temple Church, but all of a sudden Walford Davies was taken sick. They called in a substitute, and just before the rehearsal, the conductor said: 'oh yes, we always take it down a half step!'
This reminds me of a tale Andre Previn used to tell: On his appointment as chief conductor of the London Symphony Orchestra in the Sixties, at the first rehearsal, the orchestra started the first piece a semitone flat expecting Previn not to notice. Just a few notes in Previn stopped the orchestra and said "Very funny - now in the right key please gentlemen!".

HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:45 am

rob wrote:
Op. XXXIX wrote:...Here is the anecdote: there was a performance of the Bach B minor scheduled one Sunday afternoon at the Temple Church, but all of a sudden Walford Davies was taken sick. They called in a substitute, and just before the rehearsal, the conductor said: 'oh yes, we always take it down a half step!'
This reminds me of a tale Andre Previn used to tell: On his appointment as chief conductor of the London Symphony Orchestra in the Sixties, at the first rehearsal, the orchestra started the first piece a semitone flat expecting Previn not to notice. Just a few notes in Previn stopped the orchestra and said "Very funny - now in the right key please gentlemen!".
When we enter the field of transposition we are in a real no win situation. From a singers point of view doing the Bach half a tone lower would be ideal especially as A = 425 would have been closer to that used in Bachs day, A=440 would be too high for comfortable singing. As a rule when accompanying Handel and Bach I usually play it a semitone lower which the singer nearly always finds much better in all aspects. Obviously it causes more problems for the keyboard players as the hand position will be generally speaking awkward. Oddly enough the Toccata in F or should I say F# seems quite comfortable under the hands and feet :lol: :lol:

I don't know what the piece was that Previn wanted "in the right key" but it may have been better sounding in the lower key, of course the opposite could also be true, it would depend on the piece, if it was from the Classical period, lower might well be an improvement. There have been books written about this phenomenon and the problems and pitfalls of the various tuning methods and what pitch should be used for the A, of course we have to blame the French woodwind manufacturers for forcing pitch up to make the instruments sound brighter (hyperactive also?) for Berlioz and all his needs, someone has to take the blame. :mrgreen:

regards
Brian

HTIEKFR
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: PIANO

Post by HTIEKFR » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:15 pm

Hello
I'm looking for a solo organ transcription of Caccini's Ave Maria
Thanks

HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:41 pm

HTIEKFR wrote:Hello
I'm looking for a solo organ transcription of Caccini's Ave Maria
Thanks
Hi HTIEKFR, Sorry can't help, I only have a version for organ and soloist and choir by the Russian organist Oleg Yashchenko. He also falsely attributes it to Caccini though as most people now know it was a pastiche published after his death by the Russian composer Vavilov. The organ part is a real accompaniment and would not easily transcribe with the vocal line, though I might give it a try sometime as it is an "in-demand" piece at funerals and weddings.
Hope someone else can help if not then I will see what time I have. The only problem is that Vavilov died less than 40 years ago so copyright may be a problem especially as the composer who died over 300 years ago didn't write it. Therefore the editor who is probably still alive even though he remains anonymous complicates the copyright rules even further.
best wishes
Brian

HTIEKFR
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: PIANO

Post by HTIEKFR » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:55 am

Thank you very much for the informations.
Rgds