Electronic Stage Piano from Acoustic Grand

Questions and discussion on technical, teaching and performance matters
shinyblack

Electronic Stage Piano from Acoustic Grand

Post by shinyblack »

I am new to the Board, greetings to everyone! I am a classical player, brought up in the tradition of a beautiful sound produced by arm weight and legato touch, with as little specific articulation of the fingers as necessary to produce a good sound. I play a Steinway, early 21st Century, Hamburg, model A.

I am seriously considering adding a Kawai MP10 stage piano to my life, to extend the hours that I can play without disturbing the household or the neighbours, to allow for some opportunity for 2 piano work, and to provide some portability to go away for holidays. So far I have had very limited access to try it out.

Does anyone on the Board have any experience of moving from an acoustic grand to an electronic piano? What did it do to your touch?

Does anyone yet have any experience of a Kawai MP10? I believe it has only been on the market around the world for a few months. Is there another instrument that you would recommend? So far I have briefly tried the Yamaha CP5 and various Roland keyboards.

I look forward to everyone's experience. Thank you.
Shinyblack
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Electronic Stage Piano from Acoustic Grand

Post by fredbucket »

I have both - my electronic keyboard is a Kurzweil SP2X, and I've also played multitudinous Kawais (but not the MP10), Rolands and others in various places. I also use softsynths like Garritan (not that good for piano) and Pianoteq (actually not bad at all, especially for historic keyboards). But there is no doubt in my mind that you still can't beat an acoustic piano for touch, tone and response. Whilst finger work (eg Bach, Mozart) is reasonable, anything in the classical genre which is more complex, percussive, wristy or ambient (try Arvo Part for example) just doesn't cut it on any electronic keyboard or softsynth that I've tried.

To my mind, acoustic and electronic keyboards require totally different mindsets, and you have to be aware of these and adjust accordingly, physically and mentally, each time. If you are going to get an electronic keyboard, then the keyboard touch itself is paramount. It must feel right, and I've played very few which, for me, do and none at all which cover the gamut of classical piano music. Most have acceptable piano sounds these days, or else if you are not happy with those there are many softsynths now (ie midi into a computer) which are getting better all the time.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Fred
Arjuna
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Pianoforte
Music Scores: No

Post by Arjuna »

I haven't played the MP10 but I used to own a MP9500 (the MP10s grand mother) and I have played the CA93 which has the exact same RM3 action as the MP10. In my experience, and I have played many, many, digital pianos, there is no better digital piano in terms of feel than the Kawais. Even the Roland V-Piano, which will set you back around $20,000, doesn't feel as good as Kawais pianos (that's my personal opinion, some may disagree obviously). It's true, you can't beat an acoustic piano, but if you have to get a digital piano though then, for a classical pianist, the Kawais are the only option in my mind.
One thing to keep in mind is that the MP10 doesn't come with speakers, so you would have to play it with earphones or get an amp or a set of amp-monitors. The quality of your earphones/amp/monitors will greatly effect the quality of the sound. Also it is heavier than it looks, it weighs about 30kg. I'm not sure if that makes a difference to you though.
The other thing to consider is that digital pianos are invariably easier to play than acoustic pianos so they are not the most reliable substitutes, but then again what other option do you have.
One last point, and it's a little off topic, if extra practice time is all you're concerned about, have you considered practicing mentally. Many people don't seem to like then idea but it's something I've had a lot of success with - mind you I'm not a particularly skilled pianist cause I don't really practice much these days but I have noticed that I can memorise music about ten times faster (that's no exaggeration) than if I was to practice only at the piano. It also seems to make my work at the piano much more effective and more enjoyable.
Last edited by Arjuna on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
klaviersonic
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by klaviersonic »

I agree with Arjuna that mental practice can be immensely more effective than physical gesticulation at the keyboard! If you read the Gieseking-Leimer book on piano technique, they provide great insight into this method.

As for Electronic pianos, you will certainly not replace your steinway with one, but I practice all the time on an old Roland F-90, and I'm happy with it. They're a useful tool for silent practice and particularly for computer/midi recording. I think the Roland action is quite good enough to keep my technique in shape, though the Kawai with it's real escapement action is probably the best available. I use different Kontakt piano samples to mimic the tone of a vintage steinway, bosendorfer, fazioli, even an old pleyel. Obviously it's not like playing a real one, but fun nevertheless.
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
timgill
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: No

Post by timgill »

I have a perfectly adequate Yamaha P-35 which I take to places where I'm not sure about the quality of the resident acoustic piano there. Doesn't take long to set up and sounds pretty good with the right settings. What it doesn't do is to sustain big chords for very long (unless you hold the notes down, which isn't often the case), so playing the opening of Tchaik PC 1 or the loud section of La Cathedrale Engloutie is pointless.

Practising with earphones isn't a problem.
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

A couple of years ago I recorded a piano trio in Sydney. I was taken aback, I must admit, when the pianist turned up with an electronic keyboard - for the same reason as Tim has already mentioned.

What he didn't realise (no one had told him) was that the piano he was to play was a 102-note 2.9 metre Stuart & Sons concert grand - and they don't come any better than that.

Regards
Fred